Preseason Game #2, Post game thoughts.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Glennon is terrible.

The D is very good.

Everything looks good EXCEPT Glennon. The personnel we have suits a young quarterback who needs to learn perfectly. There is a very good chance that our backfield is dominant, and our offensive line is at the very least decent. Cohen/Howard would take loads off of Trubisky, just start him please.

and White

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The O-plan with Glennon was all short hitches, WR screens and HB screens. Nothing down field. Nothing other than one slant between the seams. And on that slant, he was bailed out by his receiver...

The concept was to get his completions up. Make him look like a viable QB.

Trubisky was taking 5 and 7 step drops from under center. Longer plays. Most took time to develop. Most put him in harms way with a 3rd string Oline in front of him.

Goal was to see him fail.

And then... Trubisky goes out and throws a 135 QB rating. Glennon goes out and throws it to the other team.

The team was trying to put a QB controversy to rest. Instead, they kicked a hornets nest.

Yup. They did everything possible to stop a controversy and instead it blew up in their faces.

Would like to see Trubisky play with a better OL,and running game.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fox seems more concerned about 'avoiding controversy' than protecting the teams new potential franchise QB.

Lots of positives though - Defence in general and Cohen especially.

Adversity won't hurt Trubisky. What doesn't kill you... Goal was not to see him fail but to see how he handled it. I hear they are handing out foil hats with Bear logos on their site.

Glennon was again disappointing. I'm about ready to eat crow on him. Not like I expected greatness but I expected more serviceable. D looks like it's coming on. Grasu was fine which is awesome. Trubisky's decisions were better than they looked. When the ball's gone as your WR slips on a comeback, a ball that should be better than 50/50 becomes a likely pick. Mitch probably has a little too much confidence in his arm but I'd rather have that than the alternative.

God, the FG miss was fugly. I liked the idea of taking a look but didn't like what I saw on the place kick.

I loved the comment by announcers that Trubisky was active in playcalling the week before. I like this or don't like that kind of stuff. Seems smart and aware of the playbook. Doesn't sound like it will be long before he's got the D looks down as well.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I'm glad the game is over so I don't have to list to homer ass Wolfley anymore. Christ that guy sucks. Trubs is the truth. Cohen is pretty damn good for a fifth grader.

Woodley was awful. Meatball personified, the guy you least want to be stuck next to in a bar.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It does seem that way. Can't change your depth chart because your #2 draft pick hasn't had enough time, so let's see how he does handing off to a bad RB who won't make the team.

Yup. After the first game, I would've given Trubisky more time with the 2s at least. He looks head and shoulders above the talent he's playing, elevate it a little. I didn't breathe for a good minute after that hit.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I'm really excited about Tarik Cohen and Eddie Jackson. That run Cohen had where he slipped/busted through three tackles was the best moment of the night for me. We knew he had speed and agility but I think we were all concerned about whether he could take the hits. Howard and Cohen are a great 1, 2 punch with Carey as the short yardage back. Langford is in trouble.

RRH had back to back plays in the 4th quarter including a sack. With Bullard also flashing and Goldman looking good, the D-line is looking like the real strength of this team.

After all the talk of Jamal Adams/Malik Hooker in the build up to the draft, it would be incredible to get a starting FS out of the fourth round. Jackson looks really good.

I get that they wanted to give Glennon as much time as possible and it is consistent with their grand plan. But he was only a little better and it looked a lot like they tried to take the Trubisky issue away for a week. Instead Trubisky looked decent and the story this week will be why he only got 8 pass attempts against scrubs with a terrible O-line and a no name running back. If they don't give Trubisky a shot against the 2s at least next week then they will start to look pig headed about this. I do not need to see Sanchez against the Titans.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The O-plan with Glennon was all short hitches, WR screens and HB screens. Nothing down field. Nothing other than one slant between the seams. And on that slant, he was bailed out by his receiver...

The concept was to get his completions up. Make him look like a viable QB.

The worst thing I saw was that when Glennon threw anything that wasn`t short, his passes seemed to flutter and have nothing behind them. He is going to be an interception machine.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
BTW, I know Howard is nursing an eye injury...

But, you notice they gave Cohen to Glennon and gave Trubisky Joshua Rounds?

For the record, it was about 1030 this evening when I looked up who Joshua Rounds is. Before that, I had never even heard the name.
Rounds played a lot in game 1 too. He is the future grocery bagger who is saving the pounding that other RBs would have to take if he didn't eat up carries in preseason games.

koniu77

Liked Posts:
Either fox or pace jeopardized Trubisky's health because they paid 19mil to a scrub and now don't won't to look like fools. If Trubisky doesn't get promoted to 2nd string this week someone above pace should interfere, I'm sorry but we are talking about a potential franchise QB over here and they are putting him in horrible conditions to thrive.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
Jesus, I got a little sick when they showed Trubisky's knee twist as he got tackled. Tragedy averted.

They need to stop trying to clip Trubisky's wings and elevate him to #2. The formality of having Mark Sanchez out there for a drive is silly since he won't see the field unless we have a QB apocalypse.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Concerned about the wide-receiver position. I haven't seen any speed on the field. Separation seems to be lacking across the board.

vintage-bear

Liked Posts:
Initial thoughts:

Run game is excellent. Tarik Cohen is fun to watch. Its only a matter of time before he breaks a big one. I'm dropping Jordan Howard down a round or two in fantasy; not Howard's fault at all; only because Cohen will clearly take yards away from him.

Cunningham will work if Cohen gets dinged up for a game or two during the season.

I hope J. Langford doesn't get cut from the team just because we haven't seen him yet. He seems like he could be a solid backup RB based on last year/previous year play. I don't see much difference between him and Carey. So maybe it comes down to availability...

If Bears do cut J. Langford, he should be picked up by another team (unlike last year [I think-can't remember] our roster was so bad not player cut was signed by another team).

I couldn't really see if run game success is because of O-line, FB, TEs or RB abilities (likely a combination of all), but its a strength 1st two preseason games.

OL: need to see a replay of the game to watch OL.

Glennon was frustrating. A lot to complain about.

Trubisky: it was frustrating to wait until 2nd half to see him play and then more frustrating to see the play calls he got. I couldn't see the WR routes so it left me to assume that Trubisky held the ball too long. True or not, I don't know. One thing I was happy with from 1st preseason game was his ability to avoid sacks. Didn't see his mobility shine last night. I think he needs to see lots of blitzes/pressures etc, (who doesn't though).

I want Tru to start really bad. I think it is unfair to the team, to Trubisky, to season ticket holders, to fans who buy the NFL ticket, to everyone, to not start the player who clearly gives the team the best chance to win. Isn't it clear he has the accuracy and arm strength to win in the NFL? I am sure I have some bias somewhere but for the life of me I can't see how we will have a chance to win early with Glennon as QB. Have you ever seen a player make a big enough improvement jump from one game to the next?

I am not a Glennon hater at all, or at least i wasn't. I actually had never seen him play before this year and was/am hoping for the best, but this doesn't seem right.
On a side note Pace should have never said what he said about Glennon starting/your year stuff...that is the coaches' decision.

WR/TE: quiet night.
what was missing? no burners. no clear separation. no amazing catches. nothing impressive. where was Cruz?
It's too bad Alshon Jeffrey/Bears couldn't come together. Tru/Jeffery could have been a special combo...yes, I know, time to move on...

Defense:

pretty excited about unit as a whole, except AZ didn't play starters very long and some didn't even play. Hard to evaluate based on this. Nice to see Bullard step up again as that will be big for our defense. Fuller had his named called (in a positive way) so that is better than not having it called.

Overall we seem to have a completely different make up of the team. I don't see why we can't be competitive in every game...barring the obvious elephant in the room.

BearUp

Liked Posts:
Initial thoughts:

Overall we seem to have a completely different make up of the team. I don't see why we can't be competitive in every game...barring the obvious giraffe in the room.

Corrected...

BearUp

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...t-stink-again-rosenbloom-20170816-column.html

As comical as Glennon’s “It’s my year’’ statement has been, it’s based on what Pace said. What Pace promised. We can debate the stupidity of promising a player a spot — no, wait, we can’t, there’s no debate, it’s stupid not to make a player earn a position — but Pace did it and the Bears are stuck abiding by it so they maintain some credibility around the NFL.

GLENNON WEEK 1 STARTER...BOOK IT

Of course an unforeseen "injury"...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tarik Cohen

excited-baby-back-car.gif

Mike Glennon

Giraffe-noose-hanging-fail.gif

Bullard

giphy.gif

Jackson

giphy.gif

Trubisky

giphy.gif

Bears starting defense

tenor.gif

Bears starting offense

giphy.gif

and

giphy.gif

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Gruden to Trubisky...."you've only played one year, you're going to get a lot better quickly if you keep working hard".

Trubisky is really good at that rollout west coast offense throw that was the signature play of Joe Montana

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Jesus, I got a little sick when they showed Trubisky's knee twist as he got tackled. Tragedy averted.

They need to stop trying to clip Trubisky's wings and elevate him to #2. The formality of having Mark Sanchez out there for a drive is silly since he won't see the field unless we have a QB apocalypse.

hell if you're trying to make trubisky wait let's roll w sanchez and off glennon

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Dear God,

If you want the Bears to start Trubinsky, send us a sign. Make it something really obvious and impossible to ignore and do it within the next couple of days. Thank you.