Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I actually missed the last couple minutes of the game and OT because I didn't set my DVR with enough overage time. With that said, D.Mc has looked like he is playing too fast, hasn't been able to create off the dribble, and his shot has been off. Most of that should go away with more experience so I'm not too worried, yet.
McDermott was able to create himself an and-1 lefty layup off a drive from the 3pt line in one of the last couple possessions of OT when they finally got him the ball. I know what you mean about not being able to create anything off the dribble, but imo he's either not confident that he should be driving (he's trying really hard to be a good teammate and move the ball around) or he's not really driving to score because I know he can get to the basket or get a shot up if he wanted to. I think as he gets more confidence and more experience that will go away, like you said.

I'd like to see him get better at passing though. He's kind of telegraphing them, especially the ones coming off the down screen. Kyle Korver was a pro at making that quick pass to the screen setter and if he can emulate that, it'll make him look much better.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
2. McDermott hasn't looked good at all but its still early.

hes been better than i expected on defense

on offense hes been shaky but once he settles down we'll see how he does

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My takeaways:

Derrick Rose looks good. His athleticism is all there and the rust is wearing off. Barring another freak injury, I believe he will be back in MVP-caliber form from 2-3 years ago. I have a bad feeling it very well could happen because that is the kind of luck he's had, but he could have his best season yet just as easily.

Pau Gasol looks so much better than Carlos Boozer. It's basically paying half-price for a much better all-around player. I'm very pleased to have a big man the Bulls can throw the ball to late in games.

Joakim Noah hasn't really played enough to judge this pre-season but I'm sure he will scrap it out. Hopefully, Thibs will keep his minutes low until he has his knees fully underneath him.

Taj Gibson is becoming a blackhole with the basketball. I lost count of how many times a shooter has been WIDE open only for Taj to take it one-on-one by himself. Hopefully he won't kill the all of the ball movement in the second unit.

Jimmy Butler looks great. He is getting to the rim. He isn't forcing up shots. His defense is awesome. His decision-making all-around on offense is great.

Aaron Brooks looks really good. He's a confident scorer and solid all-around. I can't wait to see him and Rose get some PT together.

Kirk looks like Kirk. Still inconsistent shooting. Somehow he'll still get his three-point percentage over 35% (probably in garbage time). Defense is great. Can't really complain considering he's not getting anywhere close to 8M anymore.

Mike Dunleavy knows the defense. I think he will likely get the bulk of minutes available over McDermott because of that. But McDermott looks like a solid offensive player. It is going to take time but I think he will eventually be a solid starter in the NBA. I don't know about a star. That's a lot to ask for.

Nikola Mirotic still has work to do but I'm pleasantly surprised how solid he looks even at his early NBA state. Not the best rebounder, but he's scrappy and runs down lose balls. He's a better ball-handler than I expected. And his defense needs work but he doesn't look terrible. He might end up being a very good defender.

Tony Snell is not going to crack the rotation. He has potential, but there is nothing about him that stands out in any category as above average in any way.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Hawk will be the worst poster in this forum.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nuggets game takeaways

Note: I missed the bad part of the 1st quarter and 2nd quarter due to dinner so all the stuff that went wrong I can only sort of guess at from what I heard from the commentary. Also, sorry I had no takeaways from the Bucks game. Actually missed that game due to being out of town.

Rose continues to look good. Hoping it carries into the regular season. His shot could stand to be more fluid in its motion imo, but he did knock down a 3 that was a very in rhythm shot. He took a few bad 3s imo, but it's at least nice to see him being confident with his jumper in a way. I thought he got mugged again on a few drives...that's just gonna be part of the game I'm guessing. Still, he's looking like he is rounding into form so I'll take it.

Butler looked fantastic tonight. He was knocking down his midrange shots which I think was the best part. Obviously won't be expecting that high of a shooting percentage every night, but if he can knock down a couple of those midrange jumpers like he did tonight, that'll be huge for our offense.

McDermott's offense is looking better every game. I have already gotten into the habit of thinking every jumper he shoots is going in, much like I did with Korver. He had a good amount of success coming off of those Rip Hamilton type screen plays. He's very good at running his man into those screens and freeing himself for wide open shots. He almost had a great move in the paint, but he got blocked. The scoring instincts are definitely there, hopefully he'll be able to use more than just the shooting aspect of it. I think his passes themselves could be a little more crisp, they seemed forced at times, as if the pass itself was too difficult to make. These are mostly when he comes off screens and his defender is still with him and he tries to make the pass into the post. I think he'll improve that as the season goes on.

Gasol - Thibs definitely is having the defense funnel guys into Noah and Gasol and it's resulted in Gasol getting lots of blocks and altered shots. He's a great team defender. His post moves though...definitely not sharp this game. A lot of his hooks and such were way off. I'd like to see him get deeper in the paint. Otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied with what I see from him every game.

Taj is basically a black hole with the ball now, but I think he can be the go to scorer for the bench unit as a result. I want him to pass more even though he's done very well with getting his shots off and such. He's improved so much on the offensive end though so I can't be too upset.

Mirotic showed some very quick hands today. He got lots of deflections and was credited with 4 steals. Also put up a solid 12 points. His and-1 drive near the end of the game was very nice. He definitely has more handles than I gave him credit for before preseason. I think he'll get to the point where he's knock down from 3 as well. He struggled a little tonight, but did get one to fall late.

Other random thoughts:
I still love Nate Robinson. I cheered when he hit that ridiculous turnaround buzzer beating 3. That's just what he does.

How in the world did this Nurkic guy score so well on us? Neil and Stacey said he came into tonight averaging 5 points and 31% shooting before this game. That's embarrassing...but not as embarrassing as

Gary "we should have taken him over McDermott" Harris. 0 points. 3 fouls. Couple rebounds and assists. Whoopdeedoo.

Faried looks like he's gonna have a monster year. He shot his jumpers with a lot of confidence and knocked down all his free throws. If that's a consistent part of his game, he's going to be a huge offensive threat for them.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
This was the first game of the preseason that Noah looked like he could run again and not be bothered by his knee.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Mirotic needs to put on a legit 15 pounds.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Rose His shot could stand to be more fluid in its motion imo

hes literally shooting it at the rim....its so flat most of his shots hit the front of the rim

i dont know who told Rose that shot was good but they need to be fired

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I thought Mirotic has steadily improved in each preseason game so far. He looked about half a mile better defensively than he did in Game 1.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
hes literally shooting it at the rim....its so flat most of his shots hit the front of the rim

i dont know who told Rose that shot was good but they need to be fired
He had a lot more arc on his shot before...his shooting coach must be the same as Hinrich's.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Game 1: completely lost
Game 4: 4 steals

I'll take it

I didn't see a stat line. I just watched the second quarter and he seemed to be moving his feet better. I did see one steal he made where he recovered nicely on whoever it was he was guarding. He just seems to be positioning himself better.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The real question is will Mirotic get meaningful minutes every night?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I didn't see a stat line. I just watched the second quarter and he seemed to be moving his feet better. I did see one steal he made where he recovered nicely on whoever it was he was guarding. He just seems to be positioning himself better.
Well he got those steals by reacting better. He was able to get his hand on the ball and cause deflections. But yeah he was also moving better and not looking totally confused.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
The real question is will Mirotic get meaningful minutes every night?

I doubt he will every night but if Thibs has confidence in him he may. I think if he does break into the main rotation its because he is a euro rookie that needs the play time unlike college rookies that need to watch and learn. You can see the talent and confidence but you can tell he is forcing a bit instead of letting the game come to him.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
He had a lot more arc on his shot before...his shooting coach must be the same as Hinrich's.

that lockout year killed him :(

when he was healthy that season Derrick looked so improved as a all around player

[video=youtube;qlXvJptYA_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlXvJptYA_Y[/video]

this is actually the last real good game Rose had before he started getting nagged by injuries

*sidenote* Lu-Hawk sighting!!...that mohawk gave him some personality....very disappointed when he cut it

also Stacey was really riding Roses dick lmao...it was pretty cringe worthy

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
that lockout year killed him :(

when he was healthy that season Derrick looked so improved a all around player

[video=youtube;qlXvJptYA_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlXvJptYA_Y[/video]

this is actually the last real good game Rose had before he started getting nagged by injuries

*sidenote* Lu-Hawk sighting!!...that mohawk gave him some personality....very disappointed when he cut it

also Stacey was really riding Roses dick lmao...it was pretty cringe worthy
Yup...lots more arc on that jumper. Even his free throws. Whoever was coaching him during rehab is a crap coach.

Also...is that paint hair Boozer? lol

Rip Hamilton...what could've been. Also Brewer hitting a 3...rare sighting. Good times.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Yup...lots more arc on that jumper. Even his free throws. Whoever was coaching him during rehab is a crap coach.

Also...is that paint hair Boozer? lol

Rip Hamilton...what could've been. Also Brewer hitting a 3...rare sighting. Good times.

yeah thats shoe polish booz

yeah rip actually looked decent in that video