Press Conference 3pm

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So, from the sounds of it, they are going to keep Justin, but Poles wants to take this all the way to April (the draft).

You don't do that unless you recognize just how valuable that pick is this year and are planning on maximizing the trade value by creating uncertainty.

They sort of tipped their hand early on Justin, but then sort of walked it back on the draft pick conversation, while at the same time, not exactly sounding enthused.

Seems like character matters if they do take a QB, and in any case, Poles also said he'd need to be blown away, by not just the player, but the person, in order to draft a QB and that consistency and the ability to close out games matters (which rules out Caleb Williams).

Gonna have to get over it, Caleb Cult - even if they do move on from Justin, they aren't going to go from Justin to his Mini-Me....

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
So, from the sounds of it, they are going to keep Justin, but Poles wants to take this all the way to April (the draft).

You don't do that unless you recognize just how valuable that pick is this year and are planning on maximizing the trade value by creating uncertainty.

They sort of tipped their hand early on Justin, but then sort of walked it back on the draft pick conversation, while at the same time, not exactly sounding enthused.

Seems like character matters if they do take a QB, and in any case, Poles also said he'd need to be blown away, by not just the player, but the person, in order to draft a QB and that consistency and the ability to close out games matters (which rules out Caleb Williams).

Gonna have to get over it, Caleb Cult - even if they do move on from Justin, they aren't going to go from Justin to his Mini-Me....

Definitely not what I took away from what was said.

I really don't think they've actually decided anything. I actually hope that's the case. I want them to get their OC, sit down and evaluate everything. Look at Fields, look at the top 3 in the draft. Make a decision because you evaluated all the options and chose what everyone felt was best.

You have to say good things about Justin and make everyone think you love him, or he has zero value. Also, in the event you bring him back, you can point to that conference and say "see dude, we've been saying you're the guy all along".

I don't care what direction it goes, so long as it was for the right reasons. I don't love Fields, but I understand the improvement (even if not reflected completely on the stats). I don't love Williams, who I think in every way is a less stable version of Fields. Maye seems solid, but I don't think anyone here feels great about UNC quarterbacks, even if we shouldn't feel that way. Jayden Daniels, I haven't looked much into.

My guess is that they will sit tight, feel out offers as it pertains to the first pick, and also as it pertains to Fields. If they get blown away by something, then they will measure everything against that offer and figure out how to maximize the impact on this team.

Or they could be sitting in Warren's office, with a dart board, and taking turns until someone throws one and they say "well, guess that's what we'll try".

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

🤡

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Definitely not what I took away from what was said.

I really don't think they've actually decided anything. I actually hope that's the case. I want them to get their OC, sit down and evaluate everything. Look at Fields, look at the top 3 in the draft. Make a decision because you evaluated all the options and chose what everyone felt was best.

You have to say good things about Justin and make everyone think you love him, or he has zero value. Also, in the event you bring him back, you can point to that conference and say "see dude, we've been saying you're the guy all along".

I don't care what direction it goes, so long as it was for the right reasons. I don't love Fields, but I understand the improvement (even if not reflected completely on the stats). I don't love Williams, who I think in every way is a less stable version of Fields. Maye seems solid, but I don't think anyone here feels great about UNC quarterbacks, even if we shouldn't feel that way. Jayden Daniels, I haven't looked much into.

My guess is that they will sit tight, feel out offers as it pertains to the first pick, and also as it pertains to Fields. If they get blown away by something, then they will measure everything against that offer and figure out how to maximize the impact on this team.

Or they could be sitting in Warren's office, with a dart board, and taking turns until someone throws one and they say "well, guess that's what we'll try".

Poles is selling uncertainty. Uncertainty is what will make the #1 overall pick go for maximum value. He's trying to maximize his position. He's getting greedy at just the right time.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
I would be fine if it's either Fields or Williams IF we had brought in a new head coach. But because they're bringing back Flus, I now hope they trade Justin and draft Caleb.

We can pretty much all see that next year with Flus is going to be underwhelming and end with him being fired, so at least we'll still know we're rocking with Caleb for another couple years as he gets paired with a new coach and GM.

If we struggle with Flus again and we just wasted Justin's fourth season, that means starting completely over again with a new QB, coach, and GM which is a godawful prospect when it's so easily avoidable at this very moment.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
I would be fine if it's either Fields or Williams IF we had brought in a new head coach. But because they're bringing back Flus, I now hope they trade Justin and draft Caleb.

We can pretty much all see that next year with Flus is going to be underwhelming and end with him being fired, so at least we'll still know we're rocking with Caleb for another couple years as he gets paired with a new coach and GM.

If we struggle with Flus again and we just wasted Justin's fourth season, that means starting completely over again with a new QB, coach, and GM which is a godawful prospect when it's so easily avoidable at this very moment.

Well, this really isn't the way I'd want to see it go, but it's historically the way the Bears do things. Saddle the next coach with a QB they had no say on drafting.

Ideally, the goal would be to keep Fields tied to Eberflus, do a nice trade down to get som added ammo for next year in the event it doesn't work out. Then clean house, with draft capital to move up if needed, as we'd ideally have at least 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year.

But at this point, I don't even care. I'm more hoping that for once, the Bears just get lucky and accidentally make the right decision. Whether that's Fields, Williams or any other option.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
After watching it, my opinion of Poles is probably the lowest its ever been. He might be better at making player personnel decisions and moves than past GMs but his management and philosophies on his coaches is hot garbage. Even if we throw out 2022 and say that those losses were on Poles from gutting the roster, you can't look at Flus's historic failures in close games and the fact that the best QB his "improved defense" actually beat this year is Jared Goff and tell me that objectively that is a coach you should continue to roll with. I think Poles may have just tied his career in Chicago on to the Eberflus wagon. If Flus flops again and we get a sub-.500 no playoff contention season, I think Poles will be shown the door as well regardless of what he does for player personnel this offseason.

And Warren is looking to be more and more of a fluff piece with no actual backbone to make hard decisions who is here to simply oversee building a new stadium. Warren seems more like a simply updated version of Teddy.

This is about as unexcited as I've ever been about a future season for the Bears this far in advance because it feels like they didn't even get the foundation right for them to build on it. I don't know that what they do now in the draft makes me that excited because Flus's culture is a joke and won of mediocrity, playing timid and trying to positive spin a losing culture. It's really painful when you look at all the potential HC candidates out there this year to think this front office looked across all those moves and said, "yep, Eberflus is the best option out there".