Prisco’s CBS mock: Bears take Davis Mills at 20.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Flame away.

Im definitely in the minority here I’ll bet, but IF they can’t land one of the top 3 after Lawrence and Wilson, I hope they pick Mills. My ideal scenario is not at 20, but a move back into the first or after a trade down. He isn’t going to be there at 52.

Dalton is on a 1 year deal. Next years QB class is supposed to be weak (don’t know if that is true, and neither do the ‘experts’ I guess). They get him on a 5-year rookie contract. The knocks on him are the knee injury at the start of college and lack of experience.

If you only look at the stats and don’t consider the type of offense Stanford runs (and the ‘talent’ at WR), plus his early injury, it’s easy to dismiss him.

He has all the physical traits. He processes well and is very smart. 5 star recruit. Killed it at his pro day in the rain. His problem is, again, lack of reps. Watching tape of him...there’s a reason he’s shooting up boards.

If they can’t land Fields, Lance or Jones, he should be the guy, and I think he will outperform 2 of the top 5.

Or not. But at least there is a young QB with a lot of upside waiting in the wings. Been awhile since people have seen that on this team. He will go before 52, and probably in the 1st.

Reaching for a second tier QB in the second isn't a terrible idea. If we trade back and pick up a T and WR, then sure, blow the pick on Mills or Mond or whoever the fuck. I don't care. It's just rolling the dice. I'd rather use a 3rd or even a 6th on the 2nd and 3rd tier QBs like Newman or Ehlinger, but every draft pick is a gamble, so why the fuck not?

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
If Trubisky was a reach this guy would be a massive reach at 20, plus he's not gonna beat out Dalton.

Better get a starter with that 1st rounder instead of a project.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I would be fine with trading back and taking him. Grab some extra picks and snatch him somewhere in the late first/early second.
I disagree with this line of thinking for QB's. If you think a guy is going to be a franchise QB you take him. If Mills is gonna go 10 picks after your selection you still take him. Teams trade up all the time to grab a guy they know another team may want. This being said, I'm not sure of Mills is worth a 1st.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I obviously want them to take Fields or Jones. That said, I believe Mills has far more potential than any other QB after the top 5. Hell, I’ve said he has the upside to be better than a few of them.

If they don’t trade up, I won’t be able to take the QB room of Dalton and Foles all season. And neither will Pace and Nagy. They will draft a QB early.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I obviously want them to take Fields or Jones. That said, I believe Mills has far more potential than any other QB after the top 5. Hell, I’ve said he has the upside to be better than a few of them.

If they don’t trade up, I won’t be able to take the QB room of Dalton and Foles all season. And neither will Pace and Nagy. They will draft a QB early.

Bro, you're not going to have to take that QB room. I'm thinking that with their new-found ties to Texas, they may take Ehlinger. Either way, they're either going to grab a second or third tier dude this year. The trick's in not mortgaging the farm in order to do so.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Bro, you're not going to have to take that QB room. I'm thinking that with their new-found ties to Texas, they may take Ehlinger. Either way, they're either going to grab a second or third tier dude this year. The trick's in not mortgaging the farm in order to do so.
No disagreement with you there. I just happen to be a fan of Mills’ potential.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm having a hard time understanding the Mills stuff. I watch the games and I see a very underwhelming prospect. The first issue is obviously 11 starts, but it's even more troubling to me that he's only thrown for more than 1 td in 4 games. Prospects who don't produce in college scare me.

So, then, he's supposedly an upside prospect, but I'm struggling to see that in game. He's got a good arm, but it's nothing special. His best assets are his release and feet. He moves well in and around the pocket. He isn't particularly mobile, nor is he particularly accurate. In fact, he seems to go through stretches where he can't hit the broadside of a barn. Overall I noted he was incredibly streaky. That's not surprising given his lack of playing time. But it's not like he's some mega talent who just didn't get to play. The games I watched I saw a guy who threw a lot of quick passes over the middle, and missed a lot of passes elsewhere. Nothing about him really stood out. I guess he looks like a quarterback? In that he's obviously got some natural arm talent, but I really don't see anything that would warrant more than a mid round pick.

I think Trask and Mond are light years better than him.
oh that's fair. To me, he seems like a guy who has the physical tools but for some reason hasn't been productive in college. He's kind of inconsistent. In a way, he reminds me of Trubisky because of how raw he is. I just think if he could get coached up by someone and sit for awhile, he'll be a good QB later on. I think he's a smart QB and can read defenses bc he went to Stanford, so I think he definitely has that over Trubisky. Now the question becomes, do you think the Bears have the right people to coach him up? because he will need some coaching. I think he has a greater upside than some of the QBs who will go in front of him.

Last edited:

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
oh that's fair. To me, he seems like a guy who has the physical tools but for some reason hasn't been productive in college. He's kind of inconsistent. In a way, he reminds me of Trubisky because of how raw he is. I just think if he could get coached up by someone and sit for awhile, he'll be a good QB later on. I think he's a smart QB and can read defenses bc he went to Stanford, so I think he definitely has that over Trubisky. Now the question becomes, do you think the Bears have the right people to coach him up? because he will need some coaching
Very true. But to be fair, any QB will. Lance is about as raw as they come. An athlete learning how to play QB. Wait and see what happens when complex coverage disguises are thrown his way on Sundays. He will need a ton of coaching also.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No, just no.

If you want him, trade up to the top of the 2nd round and draft him there. Take a WR/OT in the first.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
No, just no.

If you want him, trade up to the top of the 2nd round and draft him there. Take a WR/OT in the first.
My ideal scenario would be to either trade back into 1 or take Mills after a trade down. There are a lot of QB needy teams-certainly more than 5. Trask, Mills and Mond are going in 2 IMO. Maybe before 52. I believe Mills is the best of those 3.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, just no.

yea...if you're going to draft somebody at 20, he needs to be a starter. Mills is not starting this year. He's a stash on the bench kinda player. That's why I wouldn't draft him at 20. I'd trade back and pick up extra picks and use one of the picks on him