Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
IMG_20240203_174020.jpg
The 85 Bears had Hall of Fame Olinemen that carried the team to greatness and success all the way until they fired Ditka for a dumbass with a good 'stache Wandstedt who started the decline of this organization by neglecting the OLine...

The only time this team has been any good is when the OLine is good...
IMG_20240203_174148.jpg
IMG_20240203_174341.jpg

This goes not only for the Bears, but every team with a "Franchise" QB needs good OLinemen to be at their best.

While many are obsessed over QB stats, its the OLine that has held this team back for 30+ years and the last 3 years are no exception.

IMG_20240203_175022.jpg
IMG_20240203_175155.jpg
IMG_20240203_175250.jpg

Not only do the stats show the Bears offensive line has been below average to trash, so does the eyeball test. If this team is to be successful going forward it won't be simply because they get the best QB in the league or division, it will be because our OLine is on par with Detroit and Green Bay who just so happen to have a couple of the best OLines in the league...
IMG_20240203_175745.jpg
IMG_20240203_175839.jpg

It's..Not..A.. Coincidence.... 🐻

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
offensive line will be fixed by the time free agency and the draft is over. they need a center and a guy like Barton from Duke who can challenge nate davis and jump around where needed bc of jenkins injury history. really wasn't the big issue you think it was. line was middle of the road most of the year, which is exponentially better than where the current QB was.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Ummm, can you be a bit clearer on what your PSA is trying to say?

Is it that, like the '85 Bears, they needed to use two of their own 1st rounders on starters, along with a day 2 pick on a starter and two UDFAs for the other two starters with one being the center?

If so, they were pretty close with one 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, one 3rd rounder (from another team), one day 2 pick for a starter and an UDFA to be the center.

Are you saying that they used too much draft compensation and should have considered not bringing in the 3rd round and replacing him with an UDFA?

If it is like the 2023 Lions, who used 3 1st rounders, a 2nd(?) and a 3rd round pick for their starters, the Bears are seriously lacking in draft capital used and results.

Now if you compare the 2023 Packers with the Bears, you will notice that the Packers used 2 2nd round picks, 1 4th round pick, 1 6th round pick and one 7th round pick on their starters. So, again, the Bears over drafted their offensive line?

These are so unclear. Perhaps, the answer is bringing in a group of coaches who know how to get the best out of their offensive linemen whomever they may be.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Ummm, can you be a bit clearer on what your PSA is trying to say?
The lists are sorted by AV (approximate value) this is PFR's stat that is comparable to WAR in baseball or Player Efficiency Rating in basketball. It's a very accurate estimate of a players individual performance and accumulated statistics.

Basically for offensive linemen a 7-8 is about average, 9-10 is good, 11+ is usually probowl to all pro level etcetera.

What you will find is that a good team usually ends up with several 7-10 ranked players or a couple +10 rated linemen.

This points out how the 85 Bears had Hall of Fame level linemen that consistently had double digit ranking in approximate value, just as almost every successful team and championship QB also has above average quality olinemen

Meanwhile the recent Bears have had a bunch of 3's, 5's and 6's with one or two 8's at best. I highlighted the linemen so you can see where they ranked overall on the teams as well.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The lists are sorted by AV (approximate value) this is PFR's stat that is comparable to WAR in baseball or Player Efficiency Rating in basketball. It's a very accurate estimate of a players individual performance and accumulated statistics.

Basically for offensive linemen a 7-8 is about average, 9-10 is good, 11+ is usually probowl to all pro level etcetera.

What you will find is that a good team usually ends up with several 7-10 ranked players or a couple +10 rated linemen.

This points out how the 85 Bears had Hall of Fame level linemen that consistently had double digit ranking in approximate value, just as almost every successful team and championship QB also has above average quality olinemen

Meanwhile the recent Bears have had a bunch of 3's, 5's and 6's with one or two 8's at best. I highlighted the linemen so you can see where they ranked overall on the teams as well.
Thanks for explaining it.

My point is also valid. The 2023 Bears used some pretty solid draft capital to get their offensive linemen, nothing like Detroit, yet ended up with your mentioned stats of 3s, 5s, 6s with one or two 8s.

The Bears offensive coaches need to seriously coach up their offensive linemen. They should have been better than how they were in 2023.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

People will complain but you have got to get the OL right, period.
We need 2-3 minimum to be good regardless of who the QB is.

greg23

Liked Posts:
The Bears had 2 qb start this year....one had a sack rate that was almost 3x vs the other.........hmmmmm

No doubt this oline needs a center and backup interior lineman who can start if/when davis/Jenkins gets hurt......but the oline isn't as big an issue as some make it out to be.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
So you saying our below average line play is a big reason why we suck?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
@nvanprooyen Can we get a PSA on how you can adjust the size of your attachments so that the post isnt 12 pages long?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
So as long as we can acquire 5 Hall of Famers, we can win. Oddly enough, we could also only win when we had out QB - Jim McMahon - who was a top 5 draft pick. So without the top QB, AND 5 HOF players, we still could not win. Maybe we need both, but we need a great a QB. We need a QB that can elevate a team, NOT a team that can elevate a QB.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
So you saying our below average line play is a big reason why we suck?
Not only that, I'm saying that nearly every successful QB has an above average OLine. I'm saying that for 30 years the Bears have mostly sucked because they have not had a consistently good offensive line.

Cutler absolutely was a franchise level QB but was ruined because of the OLine, so while people are whining about Sid Luckman they should actually realize that it's not the QBs that have been the problem.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
So as long as we can acquire 5 Hall of Famers, we can win. Oddly enough, we could also only win when we had out QB - Jim McMahon - who was a top 5 draft pick. So without the top QB, AND 5 HOF players, we still could not win. Maybe we need both, but we need a great a QB. We need a QB that can elevate a team, NOT a team that can elevate a QB.
Your straws are showing. If I say the team needs an above average OLine and your retort is "5 Hall of Famers" blah blah blah... Should you be taken seriously or called a clown??

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The Bears had 2 qb start this year....one had a sack rate that was almost 3x vs the other.........hmmmmm

No doubt this oline needs a center and backup interior lineman who can start if/when davis/Jenkins gets hurt......but the oline isn't as big an issue as some make it out to be.
There is much more to grading OLine than if the QB was sacked. Otherwise the RT wouldn't have a much higher grade than the LT who statistically was charged with far less sacks allowed.

As for sack rate, QB1 definitely has below average pocket awareness so he absolutely needs his OLine to be better than average pass blockers at this point in his development and what the Bears have compared to what Detroit and Green Bay have isn't good enough.