QB drafting strategy

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Don't expect mid or late round success but you still need to keep rolling the dice until you find one.
I'm saying it doesn't happen anymore because teams sell the farm to draft a guy in the upper 1st thinking that he's the guy and then give him 3-4 years to either succeed or fall on his face. No teams are consistently adding talent to the position through the draft and challenging their incumbent QBs year in and year out with young talent acquired through the draft.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Wait. They actually drafted Peter Tom Willis? I always assumed he was living outside of Halas Hall and they threw him a bone.

kalmavet

Liked Posts:
Wait. We think the bears actually have a strategy, especially for the qb position? I always just assumed they're throwing paint against the wall and hoping something sticks. History suggests they have no strategy

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm saying it doesn't happen anymore because teams sell the farm to draft a guy in the upper 1st thinking that he's the guy and then give him 3-4 years to either succeed or fall on his face. No teams are consistently adding talent to the position through the draft and challenging their incumbent QBs year in and year out with young talent acquired through the draft.
The reaches are no different than 20+ years ago. Plenty of misses due to projection and or ignoring of faults. Here's 1/2 of a decade of 1st round QBs between 1997 and 2003:
Drunkenmiller, Peyton Manning, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown, Chad Pennington, Michael Vick, David Carr, Joey Harrington.

Russel Wilson. Cousins and Foles were taken in the 3rd or later in the same more current draft. It's random. The only difference is that there are more and better prospects now due to changes in the college game and the greater acceptance of Black QBs at lower levels.

Also, there is no correlation what so ever between a QB projected a round or 2 early into the 1st and late round QBs.
Weird connection there.

Last edited:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
This has always been the case unless you have a complete bust.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
hah , i met Turk Shonert at a restaurant near Cincinnati after he got traded...i went up to him and said "didn't you used to play with the Bears?" and he smiled big...this was right after Ditka said "he has a knack for completing passes"

anyway, my sphincter is tight this morning as i read an article that said if Dalton pans out they may lock him up and just not even draft a QB and I thought OMG.....realize there's a possibility we may not draft a QB.....I think they know that the fans want a new toy but not having that 4th rounder is a real kick in the balls and we have way too many needs.