QB feeding frenzy with trades Mock Draft

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't think they would spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on Darnold only to let Dalton start after turning down his 5th year option. Almost no way Darnold can come off the bench and look good enough to pay him 25+ mill a year starting in 22. Either re-do his contract, pick up the 5th year or pass. That's why he has not been traded for yet. He may end up staying with the jets and they let him leave in 22. They still get a 3rd round comp pick.

They won't get a 3rd round comp if he sits there all year behind Zach Wilson. They only get a 3rd if a team signs him to a big deal next offseason, and nobody will sign him to a big deal after not playing in 2021 and being bad in every other year.

And they wouldn't LET Dalton start. If he won the competition, he'd start (and as I said I don't think he'd win it anyway). But he's clearly not good enough to hang onto the job all season either way. Not sure I understand why they'd have to commit 2 years to Darnold as you suggest.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
They won't get a 3rd round comp if he sits there all year behind Zach Wilson. They only get a 3rd if a team signs him to a big deal next offseason, and nobody will sign him to a big deal after not playing in 2021 and being bad in every other year.

And they wouldn't LET Dalton start. If he won the competition, he'd start (and as I said I don't think he'd win it anyway). But he's clearly not good enough to hang onto the job all season either way. Not sure I understand why they'd have to commit 2 years to Darnold as you suggest.
10 Mill salary as a one year try out is not a really good deal for Darnold in a trade. If for some chance he played well enough to earn a new contract, Chicago would have to compete with the other 31 teams to resign him. 2nd/3rd round rookie would be better than those odds.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
10 Mill salary as a one year try out is not a really good deal for Darnold in a trade. If for some chance he played well enough to earn a new contract, Chicago would have to compete with the other 31 teams to resign him. 2nd/3rd round rookie would be better than those odds.

If he played well enough to compete for a new contract in Chicago, the Bears would have at least a 2 month head start from after the season til the start of free agency, not to mention they could negotiate with him during the season. I agree that a 2nd/3rd round rookie would be better long-term, but I don't think Pace and Nagy are thinking beyond 2021, and those rookies aren't going to help in 2021. Since Dalton isnt much help either, I think they are going to do something bigger than 2nd and 3rd round.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
If he played well enough to compete for a new contract in Chicago, the Bears would have at least a 2 month head start from after the season til the start of free agency, not to mention they could negotiate with him during the season. I agree that a 2nd/3rd round rookie would be better long-term, but I don't think Pace and Nagy are thinking beyond 2021, and those rookies aren't going to help in 2021. Since Dalton isnt much help either, I think they are going to do something bigger than 2nd and 3rd round.

I have to agree here. Getting Darnold would basically be a one year prove it deal. Also, we may be able to ship Foles out as part of the trade. Tying up $20 million in 2 Qbs duking it out on one year prove it deals while we go down in flames and the next regime has a higher pick to grab Spencer Rattler (I've loved this guy since I've seen him play in HS) or Bo Nix is much more appealing than reaching in this year's draft. Getting a top QB in next year's draft with our shitty record, because Nagy isn't doing himself any favors and Pace is going to Pace, will be a better call, unless Darnold finally lights it up and then we are set.

I'm leaning toward Darnold with our 3rd if there's a crazy run on QBs, otherwise Newman or Mond.