Random Bear of the Week: Marcus Robinson

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Marcus Robinson

Drafted out of South Carolina as a size/speed project in 1997 no one could have envisioned the type of season Robinson would put up just two years later in 1999. After missing his rookie season with an injury to his thumb and spending the 1998 season winning NFL Europe MVP honors Robinson burst onto the scene for the Bears in week of the 1999 season against the Vikings. Robinson caught 8 passes for 90 yards and a touchdown and over the course of the rest of the season in 11 starts caught 66 passes for 1187 yards and 8 TD’s for a total stat line of 84-1400-9 for the season. He topped 136 yards five times and his best game was a week 14 matchup against the Lions where he caught 11 passes for 170 yards and three touchdowns. When Bears fans looked across the division and saw what Randy Moss was doing in Minnesota, adding in Minnesota had also taken a young quarterback in Daunte Culpepper, Bears fans minds obviously drifted to the thought of Robinson doing the same with Cade McNown for a decade.

As with all things “Bears” in the late 1990’s. It was not meant to be. Robinson missed five games the next year with a back injury that severely hampered his production. Five games into the “horseshoe up their ass” 2001 Bears season Robinson tore his ACL and was never the same player. Robinson came back in 2002 and played in 16 games but him, and the Bears, were not the same and Robinson found himself cut and signed by the Baltimore Ravens. After a decent enough year in 2003 with the Ravens(in one game he caught four touchdowns) where he lead the team in touchdown receptions Robinson found his way to the Minnesota Vikings in 2004. Lined up alongside the player, Moss, Bears fans once hoped he could become for them Robinson put up three very good seasons of 47-657-8, 31-515-5, and 29-381-4 which was actually good enough during those three years to cumulatively lead the Vikings in receiving when Moss left the team after the 2004 season. Robinson’s end in Minnesota was rather disappointing as he cut was late in the season after making negative remarks about the organization and their performance that year. Robinson would try and latch on with the Lions the next season in 2007 but was cut during camp.

He officially retired a Bear in mid-2008 after signing a one day contract. For brief flashes in 1999 and 2000 Robinson gave Bears’ fans hope of a modern explosive offense that was just beginning to take the NFL by storm during this era. He was never going to be Randy Moss but Robinson was a nightmare in the NFL in that period because teams had no answer for a 6’3 wideout who could run the way he could and outjump and out position the era’s smaller cornerbacks. The mere fact that Robinson could put up the numbers he did in 1999(84-1400-9) with Shane Mathews, Jim Miller, and Cade McNown throwing him the ball is a testament to the player he was, but also the player he could have become if not for injuries and poor quarterback play.

What are your Marcus Robinson memories?

College: South Carolina
Drafted: 1997, Round 4, Pick 108 Overall
NFL Career: Chicago Bears 1997-2002
Baltimore Ravens 2003
Minnesota Vikings 2004-2006

Videos
Robinson’s 2000 Highlight video -I can’t find a 1999 Bears yearbook sadly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcpLRKyGWKo

Here is the 4TD game vs the Seahawks in 2003 as a Raven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIL16HlenCc

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
His catch to TD ratio was ridiculous. He managed to even make Cade look good (at times)

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IIRC, he was a 200m sprinter in college. Man that dude could catch a deep ball.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
When Robinson had his year I thought the Bears were finally allowed to have good things on offense......I was mistaken, again.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Here is the 4TD game as a Raven

Jesus.

[video=youtube;XIL16HlenCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIL16HlenCc[/video]

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Hard t believe he wasn't drafted until the 4th round. Just a ridiculous physical profile.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As good as he was, Bernard Berrian may have been a better deep receiver.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He didn't really do anything in college. He was drafted purely for his physical ability. That is why the Bears had him in NFL Europe.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Here is the 4TD game as a Raven

Jesus.

[video=youtube;XIL16HlenCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIL16HlenCc[/video]

Wasn't that the game the refs totally blew the game clock extending the game for the Ravens?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I must have forgot he played for the Vikings with Moss. Vaguely remember that Ravens Seahawks game though.

Looking back at the Jauron Bears, we really made a lot of terrible personnel moves that limited the Bears to just 1 great season in 2001. Not saying they would have been a perennial playoff contender, because they were very lucky in 2001. However, they should have atleast competed better in 2002 and 2003.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I remember correctly, we sent him and Glyn Milburn (kick returner) to the probowl in '99. We hadn't sent anyone for years before.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I remember correctly, we sent him and Glyn Milburn (kick returner) to the probowl in '99. We hadn't sent anyone for years before.
No Pro Bowl showing for Robinson.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I must have forgot he played for the Vikings with Moss. Vaguely remember that Ravens Seahawks game though.

Looking back at the Jauron Bears, we really made a lot of terrible personnel moves that limited the Bears to just 1 great season in 2001. Not saying they would have been a perennial playoff contender, because they were very lucky in 2001. However, they should have atleast competed better in 2002 and 2003.
What were those?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He didn't really do anything in college. He was drafted purely for his physical ability. That is why the Bears had him in NFL Europe.

Fun fact: For Robinson's 4TD day as a Raven the Raven's QB was his old college QB Anthony Wright.

Matt2012

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wisconsin Badgers
My first Bears jersey as a kid was Marcus Robinson. I loved watching him and Marty Booker in the brief time they were on the field together.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was in Detroit for that game in 1999 against the Lions...watched it in a bar. Complete crap of a game for a solid 25 minutes until Robinson must have taken over as OC.

Crazy thing was it worked...he was unstoppable the rest of the day. After his third TD in the fourth quarter...the bartender switched the channel to a Seinfeld rerun because Detroit sucks my nards like that.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was in Detroit for that game in 1999 against the Lions...watched it in a bar. Complete crap of a game for a solid 25 minutes until Robinson must have taken over as OC.

Crazy thing was it worked...he was unstoppable the rest of the day. After his third TD in the fourth quarter...the bartender switched the channel to a Seinfeld rerun because Detroit sucks my nards like that.

lol that's funny. I could be wrong about this, but I vaguely recall a Lions home game back in the mid-2000s which wasn't broadcast in Detroit because they couldn't sell enough tickets and no corporate sponsor stepped up to buy the leftovers.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My first Bears jersey as a kid was Marcus Robinson. I loved watching him and Marty Booker in the brief time they were on the field together.

Marty Booker was very underrated. Dude had a 100 catch year and at least one year averaging more than 17 yards a reception.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I thought the Bears had traded for Randy Moss in 1999. Still my favorite season from a Bears wideout.