Random cubs/baseball talks

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I guess so, I know my dad was on water pills for years to keep the water from building up in his legs due to poor circulation. The biggest mistakes people make with the diuretics is not drinking enough water when they take them since they are being told you need to get the water out.

Further cub news, Zobrist was joined by Schwarber and Cicsek with the banned black spikes on Jackie Robinson day, now it has been leaked out that they also have told Contrares he will be fined if he continued to wear his sleeve representing his country.

You know, the NBA and NFL do this shit to players that actually have SHOE CONTRACTS, WHO GET PAID HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO SELL THEIR BRANDS.

What does a sleeve representing your country have that they MLB can get their hands in the kitty?

I guess Willson needs to get the flag tatoo'd over his arm so MLB forces him to cover it with a sleeve?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I believe it the ingredients used in the pill that was on ban list

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I take Furosemide daily for my CHF so my ears perked up when I heard about the Cano suspension. It seemed odd that a diuretic would be banned but as it turns out it isn’t. The diuretic simply flags an investigation by the independent administrator who determined that it was used as a masking agent and the MLB investigation concurred. Furosemide is used primarily to treat CHF and sometimes to reduce blood pressure, there are few other legitimate uses so a relatively young man like Cano would almost certainly not have it prescribed legitimately. It is sad though as he was probably a lock for the 3,000 hits and the HoF, but that’s over now.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I take Furosemide daily for my CHF so my ears perked up when I heard about the Cano suspension. It seemed odd that a diuretic would be banned but as it turns out it isn’t. The diuretic simply flags an investigation by the independent administrator who determined that it was used as a masking agent and the MLB investigation concurred. Furosemide is used primarily to treat CHF and sometimes to reduce blood pressure, there are few other legitimate uses so a relatively young man like Cano would almost certainly not have it prescribed legitimately. It is sad though as he was probably a lock for the 3,000 hits and the HoF, but that’s over now.

Yeah -- and Cano's statement, that he was prescribed the diuretic by a "licensed doctor" in the DR for a completely unspecified "medical condition" just does not hold water. A healthy individual in his/her 30's just has no ongoing medical need for a diuretic. If Cano had a medical condition that did require ongoing diuretic use, the only way it would be acceptable to MLB would have been if the team doctors had come to that conclusion and had prescribed the medication. Only then could the team, and the player himself, go to MLB and plead that the diuretic was, indeed, addressing a real medical condition, and not being used to mask PED traces in the urine samples players are required to provide.

It's particularly disingenuous to reference a doctor in the Dominican, where Cano has not been since the off-season. You don't get a diuretic prescribed during the off-season, even if there was a good reason for one (which there almost could not be), and keep enough to be carrying and using it three months later. And it's terribly convenient to claim you used a doctor not in the U.S., so there is no paper trail available to MLB investigators.

In terms of the timing on this, I'm assuming the urine tests are given at several unannounced times during the year, and that this result was not, for example, from a urine sample taken at the beginning of spring training. And seeing as how it's pretty seriously unlikely that any unlikely-to-begin-with medical condition would be diagnosed, and had medication prescribed, from the DR while Cano was in the U.S. the entire time, his statement comes off as a pretty obvious, and clumsy, lie. It comes off a lot more as "I should have been more careful cheating, so as not to get caught" as opposed to "I should have been more careful about what kinds of medications I took".

An immediate admission that he had taken something he shouldn't have, panicked, and gotten hold of/taken a diuretic to cover it, might have salvaged a small shot at the HOF. We could at least have seen what an immediate, overwhelming mea culpa could have accomplished when it comes to HOF voting. As it is, the clumsy and obvious lie is enough to put a dagger into any possible HOF chances for the man. Which is a shame, he has had a Hall of Fame career. But the fact that he was caught covering up, this late in his career, calls into question just how he managed that HOF-level performance all these years. I, and likely the BBWA guys who vote for the HOF, will just assume that it was from being more careful -- about not getting caught cheating.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, I have a potential wrinkle here with the whole Machado talk. Russell for Machado straight up seems hard to stomach. I'm still not entirely convinced Machado costs that much but if we humor the argument that's a crap ton to give up. One way you can offset some of the risk is for baltimore to also toss in some IFA slot money. They aren't a team that typically throws much money into IFA. The cubs apparently already more or less have agreed deal with 3 of the top 30 IFA's on mlb.com's list. Those 3 alone could very likely eat up around $4+ mil. The cubs only have like $4.7 mil in a hard cap for spending. You can add up to like $9 mil and there's still a few interesting guys who aren't known to have deals in place. So, if Baltimore were to also throw in some IFA slots to bump the cubs up to $6-7 mil that would effectively add value for the cubs that really doesn't cost Baltimore anything because they were unlikely to use all their IFA money.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So, I have a potential wrinkle here with the whole Machado talk. Russell for Machado straight up seems hard to stomach. I'm still not entirely convinced Machado costs that much but if we humor the argument that's a crap ton to give up. One way you can offset some of the risk is for baltimore to also toss in some IFA slot money. They aren't a team that typically throws much money into IFA. The cubs apparently already more or less have agreed deal with 3 of the top 30 IFA's on mlb.com's list. Those 3 alone could very likely eat up around $4+ mil. The cubs only have like $4.7 mil in a hard cap for spending. You can add up to like $9 mil and there's still a few interesting guys who aren't known to have deals in place. So, if Baltimore were to also throw in some IFA slots to bump the cubs up to $6-7 mil that would effectively add value for the cubs that really doesn't cost Baltimore anything because they were unlikely to use all their IFA money.
That would be a good deal...

I just think if this team is still up and down and hovering .500 , being anywhere from 3 4 5 games over in June..
Epstein probably going to look to make some kind of move to shake things up a bit..

He pretty much locked down with the SP, so he got 2 moves that would shake things up..
New Manager, not likely to happen during season
Or
A major trade to add a big bat to lineup

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm not *that* surprised. Like he's always been consistent and he's always had a good arm. His issues were he made bad reads and he was limited in range. But the reads aspect is just something that gets better with more experience. Remember he didn't start as an OF so he's still learning to an extent. As for the range, I'm not sure that'll ever be his high point but if he remains trim he's likely functional. Plus, you look at him and compare him to Alex Gordon and they aren't that dissimilar. Gordon is 6'1 220. Schwarber is listed 6'0 235 but supposedly he was well under that in the 225 range in spring training. Obviously Gordon is generally thought of as the best LF in baseball.

We lost a huge game in St Louis because he failed to catch an easily catchable two-run “double”.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Any Machado trade would have to be contingent on him signing a long-term contract here...right?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Any Machado trade would have to be contingent on him signing a long-term contract here...right?
That would be nice but doubtful Machado would agree so quickly..
Can always negotiate with Agent rest of year and at the very least have an idea what he looking for..

Here my question as far as would they do the trade..
Unless I missed it, has anyone heard anything from Theo or Jed in regards of the rumors, backing Russell and saying anything to the fact that he not going anywhere and is their SS for at least this year

Why I think that it a strong possibility it could happen or at least theyll try and make a deal with the Orioles..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Idk like I don't think he's signing with anyone before FA. But if you're the cubs you almost certainly know what it's going to take. I think the idea would be you get him in the organization and let him be around the best perks for family and what not in baseball and use that to sway him. Keep in mind that Machado and Almora are childhood friends so if they wanna know what sorta money he wants on the down low you could rather easily figure it out.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That would be nice but doubtful Machado would agree so quickly..
Can always negotiate with Agent rest of year and at the very least have an idea what he looking for..

Here my question as far as would they do the trade..
Unless I missed it, has anyone heard anything from Theo or Jed in regards of the rumors, backing Russell and saying anything to the fact that he not going anywhere and is their SS for at least this year

Why I think that it a strong possibility it could happen or at least theyll try and make a deal with the Orioles..

They really don't say that about players other than schwarber. That's why I was so confident he wasn't going anywhere and how I knew how much they believe in him. As for Russell/Machado to be honest i think I'd put the current odds at like 30% it happens and 70% it doesn't. I can see the logic behind it which is why I even give it 30%. Problem I have is I can't square the value if it is in fact Russell for Machado. Obviously if you bring in Machado then you need to move Russell. But I'm not so sure it makes sense that way. What I'm wondering is if they want Machado if they wouldn't instead send Russell to say SD who is a year or two away with a ton of high ranked prospects and then they use some of those players plus some of their current system to acquire Machado. Urias is probably a 2B for them and tatis is at SS now but common belief seems to be he moves to 3B. You put Russell in there with Hedges behind the plate, Hosmer at 1B, and Margot in CF and that's a pretty interesting line up.

Also supposedly Baltimore wants pitching. SD has 5 top 100 pitchers. What you could in theory do is deal Russell for say Cal Quantrill(#37) and Adrian Morejon(#46) and ship those two to Baltimore for Machado and then have SD tack on 1-2 interesting low level bats like Gabriel Arias, Esteury Ruiz, Tirso Ornelas, Jeisson Rosario...etc. What that would do is get you Machado but also pad some of the lower level minors with more talent. That way you make yourself better now with Machado with the idea being you re-sign him but you also rebuild some of your farm

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If you want to replace Russell, you already have Baez. You want Almora to be an everyday player, that opens up 2B for Happ. This is just the last no trade year for Zobrist, he is on for next year as well. Then who do you move this offseason so you do not meet the threshold for luxury tax?

Cubs are ALWAYS tied to every free agent. Theo already said no rentals after seeing what it cost for Chapman, yet, here we are again.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Idk like I don't think he's signing with anyone before FA. But if you're the cubs you almost certainly know what it's going to take. I think the idea would be you get him in the organization and let him be around the best perks for family and what not in baseball and use that to sway him. Keep in mind that Machado and Almora are childhood friends so if they wanna know what sorta money he wants on the down low you could rather easily figure it out.
Exactly...
See we can agree on stuff..lol

Also to add..
You do such a move because it a major upgrade for this year and gives a better chance at another WS this year..
Plus
If for whatever reason they dont come to an extension agreement , they have Baez to fall back on for SS next year..

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Crazy that one team accounts for nearly 1/5th of the postponements this season.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
New name with Cubs HQ, apparently since the cubs are one of 10 teams who are not on Cole Hammels no trade list, we are also the favorite to get him.
I saw that too...
No room for him now unless they decide to go 6 man