Random Post Day One Thoughts

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just a couple thoughts from your neighborhood sheep.

1. Pace is a smoke screen ninja. When the player you drafted #2 in the whole draft is utterly shocked you picked him.... that means you're doing a good job keeping your real intentions private. This is a good thing. It also means in the future people need to ignore Bears "insiders" in the media. Pace doesn't have leakers on his staff.

2. I don't get how any Bears fan can't be happy today. We got the #1 free agent QB and the #1 draft QB this year. Maybe one of them works out, maybe they both flop. Who knows? The important thing is Pace is taking two big swings at the most important position in sports. I applaud the aggressive moves. It shows me he gets it.

3. NFL people don't seem to think as highly of Watson as many of us did. The Bears, San Fran, Chiefs, Jets, Saints and Browns all passed on him. I still love the guy and hope he does well in Texas. Will be interesting to see how his career turns out.

4. Pure speculation on my part.... but I wonder if the Bears don't hit the secondary today/tomorrow as heavy as some think they might? They still have 3 secondary picks from last year on the roster. Maybe they think these guys will develop with a year in the league. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Bears go heavy on offense and try to get some playmakers to put around their young QB's now.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
People seemed to be butthurt on overpaying......I don't get that either.....

Did we overpay more for Glennon than we could have...probably; however our cap space is fine

Did we overpay for Trubisky.....based on what is coming out on competition for the number two spot.....not really.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
random post first round thought: our starting QB has as much college starting experience as the two guys likely to back him up. Further, Glennon backed up a guy who eventually won a superbowl and challenged for another, where the backups were playing behind guys who amounted to nothing as pros.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
Looking at the trade today, if you move down a few spots and re gather some picks, you really didnt trade that much. I will admit, I wasn't high on the move last nite, but now today hungover and watching videos...I am in on this kid...looks like a baller.... Polish Power!

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

1. Pace is a smoke screen ninja. When the player you drafted #2 in the whole draft is utterly shocked you picked him.... that means you're doing a good job keeping your real intentions private. This is a good thing. It also means in the future people need to ignore Bears "insiders" in the media. Pace doesn't have leakers on his staff.

2. I don't get how any Bears fan can't be happy today. We got the #1 free agent QB and the #1 draft QB this year. Maybe one of them works out, maybe they both flop. Who knows? The important thing is Pace is taking two big swings at the most important position in sports. I applaud the aggressive moves. It shows me he gets it.

3. NFL people don't seem to think as highly of Watson as many of us did. The Bears, San Fran, Chiefs, Jets, Saints and Browns all passed on him. I still love the guy and hope he does well in Texas. Will be interesting to see how his career turns out.

4. Pure speculation on my part.... but I wonder if the Bears don't hit the secondary today/tomorrow as heavy as some think they might? They still have 3 secondary picks from last year on the roster. Maybe they think these guys will develop with a year in the league. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Bears go heavy on offense and try to get some playmakers to put around their young QB's now.

Glad to see you on the right side of this stuff. And I agree with all, #3 is meaningless to me though, I wanted Trubisky, got him, and really don't care about Watson, especially now. The other 3 things I am completely with.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Add in there we have our first defining direction move since trading for cutler. Rebuild just started with drafting trubisky. Before that it was just let's get as average as possible

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Glad to see you on the right side of this stuff. And I agree with all, #3 is meaningless to me though, I wanted Trubisky, got him, and really don't care about Watson, especially now. The other 3 things I am completely with.

Many of us were invested enough in Watson that I thought I'd make a comment about it. But I liked Trubisky too. Very happy today.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Hmmmm, random thought ... :thinking:

Glennon vs. Trubs ...

Should be the best thing since the Sexy Rexy Nuthuggers vs. the Beard Lovin Ortonites.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many of us were invested enough in Watson that I thought I'd make a comment about it. But I liked Trubisky too. Very happy today.

I find it amazing that so many people can be so happy and others so mad today. It really is kind of funny.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And now I got my Kansas State guy texting me a mile a minute telling me to draft Jordan Willis that he is better than Garrett, Defensive Player of the Year in Big 12, ridiculously fast and strong.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Did we overpay more for Glennon than we could have...probably; however our cap space is fine

Did we overpay for Trubisky.....based on what is coming out on competition for the number two spot.....not really.
But if both are successful...Pace can bathe in the draft picks he will get from selling one on the open market next March.

Sure it is a gamble, but so is all of sports.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

What is the right side of things? Because i pray it isnt what you want is right

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Not sure I would call Watson going 12th as people not thinking highly of him as he still got drafted probably higher than his pure grade as few had him as the 12th best prospect in the draft.

What has come out to suggest we didn't overpay? Just because other teams wanted to move up to 2 doesn't mean we didn't overpay unless you have clear evidence of what they offered. The fact is we represented the safest move for SF because we were only one spot behind so SF was assured they could still get their guy. No other spot would have guaranteed them Thomas.

So it's still an overpay IMO but don't care as long as Trubisky delivers.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I wanted a qb in the first so im fine with what we selected, however im not fine with the terrible logic people are using to justify our trade. I get the go after your qb argument, i dont get the " oh the picks would have sucked anyways " bullshit coming from peoples mouths. My thing is what if those picks dont suck? Situations like this work both ways.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

No one knows for sure if it is an "overpay" or not. It's only an overpay if you could have gotten him for less. No one knows exactly how much San Francisco loved Thomas. If we would have only offered say this years 3rd and 4th, they might have traded back farther and risked losing him. We don't know that.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I also hope mitch beats Glennon out in TC/ Preseason. I dont want to see Glennon, period.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure I would call Watson going 12th as people not thinking highly of him as he still got drafted probably higher than his pure grade as few had him as the 12th best prospect in the draft.

What has come out to suggest we didn't overpay? Just because other teams wanted to move up to 2 doesn't mean we didn't overpay unless you have clear evidence of what they offered. The fact is we represented the safest move for SF because we were only one spot behind so SF was assured they could still get their guy. No other spot would have guaranteed them Thomas.

We didn't overpay based on the cost per draft slot.....the choice was either to pay the value to move up to 2 or risk someone else getting Trubisky....based on pure draft slot value...it wasn't an overpay.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

agree daa. I'm excited to see what this kid will do, and can do. I will not bash Pace for now as he did what I didnt think would ever happen. Drafting a QB that high

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I thought the Packers were idiots for not drafting TJ Watt.