CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1. Choosing Trubisky over Mahomes & Watson
2. Trading Greg Olsen
3. Hiring Phil Emery, Trestman & Mel Tucker
4. Resigning Cutler in 2014
5. Trading Thomas Jones

Thoughts?

Not cutting Cody Parkey after the Detroit debacle? Drafting Chris Williams/Michael Haynes?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
5. The Dave McGinnis Incident

4. NOT signing Kurt Warner

3. Jerry Angelo's botched trade with the Ravens

2. The Double Doink

1. Trading up above yourself in the draft to select the Bills' backup QB

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
IDK

1. Drafting Rex Grossman. Without him on the roster the Bears take Aaron Rodgers in 2003. Aaron Rodgers would still be with the Bears, Trubisky wouldnt have been a thing.
2. Trestman
3. Fox
4. Kevin White
5. David Terrell

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
5. The Dave McGinnis Incident

4. NOT signing Kurt Warner

3. Jerry Angelo's botched trade with the Ravens

2. The Double Doink

1. Trading up above yourself in the draft to select the Bills' backup QB

I'm looking at it as personnel decisions, not in-game gaffes(obviously there are plenty of those too)

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
2. Trading Greg Olsen
5. Trading Thomas Jones

Thoughts?

Not cutting Cody Parkey after the Detroit debacle? Drafting Chris Williams/Michael Haynes?
1. Choosing Trubisky over Mahomes, yes, but if we are looking at it in present time having a likely sex offender in Watson owed $45M more in guaranteed money is a bad situation.

1b) Agreeing to Soldier Field renovation.

2. Hiring Phil Emery, Trestman & Mel Tucker

3) Kevin White- could be least productive top 10 pick in Bears history.

4) Robert Quin horrible signing, and even if he plays well, too much money spent towards a guy playing out of position, and at the cost of upgrading the OL or Wr groups.

5) Not moving on from Lovie Smith sooner. He was the ultimate bum slayer HC, and while they have not hired better, he was never going to win a SB.

5b) Not removing Ted Phillips from everything not accounting.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
2. Trading Greg Olsen
5. Trading Thomas Jones

Thoughts?

I think trading Thomas Jones could be replaced with drafting Benson. Rbs are replaceable so they could have moved on from him when the time was right instead of paying him. Drafting Benson was premature and Benson was a fucking idiot though. Wasted draft capital

Also personally I I would put trestman and emery ahead of Olsen

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
2. Trading Greg Olsen
5. Trading Thomas Jones

Thoughts?

Your list is good. The Mitch draft will be a historic black eye. No one will remember shitty draft grades. Mitch Trubisky will be the answer to a Mahomes trivia question in 15 years.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
1. Choosing Trubisky over Mahomes, yes, but if we are looking at it in present time having a likely sex offender in Watson owed $45M more in guaranteed money is a bad situation.

1b) Agreeing to Soldier Field renovation.

2. Hiring Phil Emery, Trestman & Mel Tucker

3) Kevin White- could be least productive top 10 pick in Bears history.

4) Robert Quin horrible signing, and even if he plays well, too much money spent towards a guy playing out of position, and at the cost of upgrading the OL or Wr groups.

5) Not moving on from Lovie Smith sooner. He was the ultimate bum slayer HC, and while they have not hired better, he was never going to win a SB.

5b) Not removing Ted Phillips from everything not accounting.
In regards to #1, who knows if, when getting their hindquarters squeezed by Watson, the Chicago masseuses would have turned around and said, "That'll be 100 buck"? Thus, no charges.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I dont give Pace approval for passing on Watson unless he based that decision off of rumors of Watson being a creep. That said, I am 100% fine with him not being a Bears player even if it meant more wins from 2018-2020

Montucky

Liked Posts:
1. Double doink. I agree with Matt Nagy, this cost the Bears a Super Bowl.

2. 2010 NFC Championship. Forever a stain on the Lovie Smith era Bears. Things could never be the same.

3. Drafting Mitch Trubisky.

4. Steve Smith single handedly eliminates the Bears from the playoffs in 2005.

5. The offensive coordinator merry-go-round of the Lovie Smith era

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Wow whoever mentioned the renovation great call. I'd maybe put that at number one. A true disgrace.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
This is an interesting one...I don't know how to rank given context but here are my biggest gripes

Mitchell Trubisky. Obvious. Fucking up the #2 overall pick with 1st crack at QB position merits a bad grade. But unlike pundits and fans who don't like reading beyond a headline, I won't be lazy by saying "but they picked him over Mahomes/Watson!" because A--Mahomes comp'd to Jay Cutler (lazy mechanics/reads, turnover prone with a cannon of an arm) coming out of TTech--and if you told this fanbase in 2017 that they're going to replace Jay with a younger version of him--dicks would have been ripped off violently, but nobody likes to talk about that part--just the result of why Mahomes is great and the bears missed picking him and helping him the way KC/Reid did. Watson at first I thought was the one they should have taken--but given his sexual assault allegations going back to his days at Clemson--I wonder if Pace knew about it and didn't draft him for that reason.

Picking Shea McClellin, a finesse 3-4 edge rusher over Chandler Jones (down 4-3 DE) while Lovie Smith was still the head coach running the Tampa 2. THEN playing McClellin at every position except the one he was good at and racked up sacks as a 2 and change year starter at Boise State. The cherry on top is Shame won a Superbowl as a special teamer--so he gets the last laugh, and probably a whopping case of CTE given concussions here and in college.

Mel Tucker. All of his success in Jacksonville came when he ran a 3-4. He then comes here with Trestman--who was his own bag of problems--runs a 4-3--hoping Lance Briggs--a really good 'hammer' or guy that needs to be told what to do and he does it--can somehow smarten up to call switches. That didn't work.

Trading Greg Olson because Mike Martz didn't want to change to use a really fucking good playmaker.

Drafting pre-injured Kevin White.

Drafting pre-injured Chris Williams when 2 pro bowlers with great careers at LT (Duane Brown and Branden Albert) were taken within 12 picks after him.

Starting J'Marcus Webb. Okay, the gross neglect of the offensive line after 06.

Botched draft trade with Baltimore for Gabe Carimi.

Paying Pernell McKnee a lot of money when he was an overweight "linebacker" with no cartilage in his knees/a part-time player for Baltimore for a reason. I'll add Robert Quinn if he sucks again.

Continually kicking Julius Pepper's $$$ down the road. Have a weird feeling Mack is heading in that direction.

Special mention: Trading a 2nd round pick for Gaines Adams (RIP) when it was widely known he had a heart condition only to know that pick ended up being Gronkowski.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears trade their 1st round pick to Seattle for Rick Mirer and then sign him to a big 3 year contract. He started 3 games. 42nd pick to tampa for Gaines Adams...
UnawareMiserlyGenet-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
1. Going with Rex Grossman as your quarterback, passing on Aaron Rodgers and drafting Cedric Benson.

everything else is #2

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
#1. Being content with Rex instead of going after Brees... Bears would've been SB champions..
#2. Trestman > Arians.
Firing Rivera killed a defense in it's prime until Peppers was signed. That should be up there.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bears trade their 1st round pick to Seattle for Rick Mirer and then sign him to a big 3 year contract. He started 3 games.
UnawareMiserlyGenet-max-1mb.gif
That was prior to 2000

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
oops. Still pissed LOL
Just Gaines Adams then.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of telling that people aren't really listing things that happen on the field.
⬇️ ⬇️⬇️
I'm looking at it as personnel decisions, not in-game gaffes(obviously there are plenty of those too)

As you pointed out, the Bears had every reason to cut Parkey in season...so The Double Doink was the climax of a bad personnel decision.

Should have just said "Signing Cody Parkey"