Rapoport thinks Bears should pickup Trubisky's option

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:
Probably not but he hasn't shown anyone, anywhere that he is anything beyond backup capable at this point. I can't see us wasting 24 million dollars on the off chance that he does well, or even starts in 2021. Bad O-line play or not he has to take a substantial portion of the blame for his poor play this year. I'm sure that being an overall 2nd round pick might get him a 50 mil contract with some team looking to reclaim him but anything more than 6 mil per year for what has been backup level play is not acceptable.
He would sign with someone else before being backup here long term. Even if it means he’s backup or has to battle for a starter spot on another team. If he loses the competition he will be on another team in a year or two.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Year 1 was a total wash. He was inexperienced and stuck in the worst most predictable Fox/Loggains offense in the last 15 years per actual stats. Try to learn on the fly in terrible circumstances.

Recap:
Last 2 years, great defense, building O, with shitty shitty no-bang OL play last year, poor run game regardless of Howard & D Montgomery, and a shoulder injury playing in a brace for the latter part of the 2019. 2018 looked decent enough, but nothing to write home about. 2019 = year zero run game, zero TE support and Trubs failed to pick up the slack. Didn't turn it over, but didn't do shit otherwise either. Became a Checkdown Charlie with the pass yet too afraid to run, which can't happen in an RPO. Hate to say, but there's still a lot of grey area, but for sure, not much proven success to bank on.

Worth 5th year option?:
Seems like Trubs' market value right now is shit except for potential. Potential value is debatable, but it only take one suitor.
To guarantee that kinda money $25 mil for a 5th year seems risky, however I like the idea of having control IF AND ONLY IF he proves he's starter material, given the risk of 2020 injury impacting 2021. If not, drop the option like so many teams before him. Nice to have Foles as al alt option right now TBH. There's also risk in NOT hitting that 5th year option and him playing well enough to garner interest as a starter and getting nothing for him after 2020 season. Which risk is greater? Hate on him and the PR move of taking the 5th year option (against media & angry fans), but if it can be revoked, it seems worth at least considering for now in case he balls out?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
There's almost no benefit to picking up the fifth year option.

While it's true that you can always cut him before his fifth year, can you imagine any realistic scenario in which Trubisky plays well enough this year to justify making $25 million a year? Isn't it much more likely that he would get injured and the Bears would be on the hook for the money? (Remember that the fifth year money is guaranteed for injury)

Whereas if you don't pick up the option, you know for a fact you're not on the hook for $25 million in 2021 no matter what, and you can always still work out some modest 3-year deal if Trubisky starts and plays well this year.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It really doesn't hurt the bears to give him the option, they can always rescind it like they did to leonard floyd and just outright cut him.

Unless Trubisky gets injured, which he has a history of......

Why risk it? There's literally almost no upside to picking up the option.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't see the control aspect. Even if he has a good year, it's one year and he'd still be looking at average QB money. I also suspect he'd like to sign here anyway. If he plays great enough for a better than $25m/yr contract, he's worth but if he doesn't, that's a stupid payroll hit for a backup. Fuck control, that's what tags are for. Rapoport is being an idiot.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So we have three pages of posts, and no one has brought up the fact that under the new CBA, the fifth year option is fully guaranteed?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really doesn't hurt the bears to give him the option, they can always rescind it like they did to leonard floyd and just outright cut him.

Err, ahh, no, sorry you are wrong on this matter.

"In the proposed Collective Bargaining Agreement agreed to by the NFL ownership on Thursday, fifth-year options for former first-round picks would become fully guaranteed when exercised by the team.

All first-round picks signs four-year contracts with a team option for the fifth season. Those options have to be exercised after the player’s third full season in the NFL. According to the fact sheet about the proposal sent to players and agents by the NFLPA Thursday evening, exercising the fifth-year option would result in the fourth and fifth years of the deal becoming guaranteed. Under the current CBA, the fifth-year option is currently guaranteed for injury only."

Unless this article is wrong by CBS & NBC and others, or it changed last minute (and I have no idea why the players would want it changed).

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
So we have three pages of posts, and no one has brought up the fact that under the new CBA, the fifth year option is fully guaranteed?

Because it doesn't apply to trubisky, so there is no need to discuss it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Err, ahh, no, sorry you are wrong on this matter.

"In the proposed Collective Bargaining Agreement agreed to by the NFL ownership on Thursday, fifth-year options for former first-round picks would become fully guaranteed when exercised by the team.

All first-round picks signs four-year contracts with a team option for the fifth season. Those options have to be exercised after the player’s third full season in the NFL. According to the fact sheet about the proposal sent to players and agents by the NFLPA Thursday evening, exercising the fifth-year option would result in the fourth and fifth years of the deal becoming guaranteed. Under the current CBA, the fifth-year option is currently guaranteed for injury only."

Unless this article is wrong by CBS & NBC and others, or it changed last minute (and I have no idea why the players would want it changed).

Nah, you're wrong.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Since you did so much work on something that doesn't concern the lions, I'll help you out.

The new CBA rule does not apply to the 2017 draft class.

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:
There's almost no benefit to picking up the fifth year option.

While it's true that you can always cut him before his fifth year, can you imagine any realistic scenario in which Trubisky plays well enough this year to justify making $25 million a year? Isn't it much more likely that he would get injured and the Bears would be on the hook for the money? (Remember that the fifth year money is guaranteed for injury)

Whereas if you don't pick up the option, you know for a fact you're not on the hook for $25 million in 2021 no matter what, and you can always still work out some modest 3-year deal if Trubisky starts and plays well this year.
I honestly think if they don’t pick up the option and he does ball out he won’t resign with the bears. I think he’d move onto another team especially if the bears offer a modest contract.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
I honestly think if they don’t pick up the option and he does ball out he won’t resign with the bears. I think he’d move onto another team especially if the bears offer a modest contract.

And sign where? Cam Newton and Jameis Winston can’t land a starting job. The Bears are the best opportunity that’s out there. Foles is so injury prone that even if he played average, he will get more PT once Foles goes down.

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:
And sign where? Cam Newton and Jameis Winston can’t land a starting job. The Bears are the best opportunity that’s out there. Foles is so injury prone that even if he played average, he will get more PT once Foles goes down.
Not saying to start. But a backup role elsewhere maybe with a chance to
Compete for a starting spot. Why would he want to come back here to our idiotic fans that hate him? I know I wouldn’t if I were him.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If he balls out, cant the bears just franchise tag him? It'll probably be for right around the same money as the 5th year option $ and his only option at that point would be to hold out/sit out the season...

napo55

Liked Posts:
With only one decent and healthy WR and no TE production, along with one of the worst ground games in the NFL, the Bears were not very QB friendly last year. Will they be any better this year? Need to give Trubisky, Foles or any other QB a fighting chance to succeed.

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:
If he balls out, cant the bears just franchise tag him? It'll probably be for right around the same money as the 5th year option $ and his only option at that point would be to hold out/sit out the season...
Yes they could franchise tag him it’d be like 3-5 million more than the 5th option.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes they could franchise tag him it’d be like 3-5 million more than the 5th option.
It would be more by then but really, it doesn't matter. It's the better option. If he deserves it, no one would mind if that was the only way to keep him.

For the discussion above this, The 5th year option for Mitch fits this description and it seems neither party above has it just right. The fifth year is guaranteed for injury when the option is exercised. The option year becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the league year in the fifth contract year.

I think that no one mentioned it because most all of us knew this and considered it an understood in the discussion.

The reason to not exercise it is that having a so-so year locks you into a $25m contract or you'll need to cut him before the league year begins. He could also suck and lock in on an injury. It actually limits options and the control aspect is still there with a tag if needed. It would be a little more but a great insurance policy. Besides, I doubt working out a contract with Mitch would be difficult if he deserved it.

bareness

Liked Posts:
Trubisky has shown upside before. It's been keeping it constant that is the issue.

Shaheen has shown nothing

They are not similar at all.
Here I agree. Unfortunately I think he will end up becoming another Alex Smith where he fails with the Bears but ends up doing well for another team.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
There is no reason to pick up the option. None. If somehow he miraculously turns into a QB the you franchise him......and that's a huge if