Rate Ryan Poles Draft

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Uhhhh, it’s not just some guys on Twitter saying Pickens has huge character issues, it’s multiple news articles quoting actual NFL scouts…
Is there ANY sources or are they all internet rumors, because the Steeler media is saying they were rumors. I wander if Poles' team looked into it?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
D

Unless he's planning on finding a trade for Fields because he doesn't believe in him. But if this is a QB a team has faith in and an oline he doesn't have faith in (as he has said) this was a big fat fail. This is not the offense you have for a 2nd year QB that you like.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
D

Unless he's planning on finding a trade for Fields because he doesn't believe in him. But if this is a QB a team has faith in and an oline he doesn't have faith in (as he has said) this was a big fat fail. This is not the offense you have for a 2nd year QB that you like.
I’m so glad everyone knows what the offense is going to look like before our new OC has even called a play.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Is there ANY sources or are they all internet rumors, because the Steeler media is saying they were rumors. I wander if Poles' team looked into it?
I think a Sports Illustrated article quoting NFL WR coaches and scouts qualifies as more than just a rumor but what do I know

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m so glad everyone knows what the offense is going to look like before our new OC has even called a play.

the main issue was coaching and scheme. thats taken care of. not saying the new regime is destined for greatness but they dont have to be that great to be an improvement on what nagy constantly put out there

and the secondary went from a weakness to a strength. that makes the team better

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ask in 2 years. If one of these late round OL picks clicks, I’ll be happy.

Signing Ogunjobi in FA to okay 3 tech makes it better

The first sensible take in the thread.

I give the draft an "incomplete" - because not one of us will know until 2-3 years later and its fucking stupid to grade a draft that just happens - because its based all on emotion, which doesn't do shit for actually helping the team.

Honestly, rather than grading it, I came away with a bunch of valuable information.

* Ryan Poles is going to go for the BPA on his board, needs be damned. If his scouts and board are indeed solid, this ALONE is reason to hope for long term success, because this is the model Pittsburgh and Baltimore have used to great success for a very long time to great sustained success.

* Ryan Poles believes in his ability to scout O-Line, and at the same time, is aware of the odds of a 6th-7th rounder succeeding in the NFL, so he did a shotgun approach to finding a guard.

* The offense is going to be fun to watch and see come together - as it seems like the goal is to get really fast guys down the field ASAP.

* Poles is a huge believer in speed.

So I see a very clear plan in terms of team-building, and the beginnings of what the offense would look like, as well as confirmation on what the defense end goal is, given we saw something similar with Lovie.

At this point, we really won't learn more until training camp, and then the season. But yes, this draft was very insightful into Poles.

I think the Bears will overall be in good hands.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
the main issue was coaching and scheme. thats taken care of. not saying the new regime is destined for greatness but they dont have to be that great to be an improvement on what nagy constantly put out there

and the secondary went from a weakness to a strength. that makes the team better

Flipping the secondary like that really is a boon. If the corner and safety pan out, teams will be forced to throw the ball underneath to avoid potential picks - which plays right into the system of the cover 2.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Uhhhh, it’s not just some guys on Twitter saying Pickens has huge character issues, it’s multiple news articles quoting actual NFL scouts…
Not saying that you are wrong, but the only thing I can find is stuff on Reddit and twitter saying I heard some scout said this about him. That is actually the definition of a internet rumor. If you can find an actual site or source saying anything about him I would appreciate it.

The best way to help support your young franchise quarterback? Drafting a receiver that catches literally everything.

George Pickens had a 2.2% drop rate on 92 targets in his career, one of the lowest in this draft class. I think that would be the best thing to help the Bears football team by helping the most important person on the team the QB.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Don’t worry. Coming from him, it’s a compliment.
You: Deshaun Watson was never good.

Dumbest thing ever said on this board. You know you're an idiot when the only people who typically agree with your posts are MJY and dongbears.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The first sensible take in the thread.

I give the draft an "incomplete" - because not one of us will know until 2-3 years later and its fucking stupid to grade a draft that just happens - because its based all on emotion, which doesn't do shit for actually helping the team.

Honestly, rather than grading it, I came away with a bunch of valuable information.

* Ryan Poles is going to go for the BPA on his board, needs be damned. If his scouts and board are indeed solid, this ALONE is reason to hope for long term success, because this is the model Pittsburgh and Baltimore have used to great success for a very long time to great sustained success.

* Ryan Poles believes in his ability to scout O-Line, and at the same time, is aware of the odds of a 6th-7th rounder succeeding in the NFL, so he did a shotgun approach to finding a guard.

* The offense is going to be fun to watch and see come together - as it seems like the goal is to get really fast guys down the field ASAP.

* Poles is a huge believer in speed.

So I see a very clear plan in terms of team-building, and the beginnings of what the offense would look like, as well as confirmation on what the defense end goal is, given we saw something similar with Lovie.

At this point, we really won't learn more until training camp, and then the season. But yes, this draft was very insightful into Poles.

I think the Bears will overall be in good hands.
no one is reading this. we all know you dont watch football.

Chitownkh23

Liked Posts:
C-

Not a fan of Jones, but I find it hard to believe they couldn’t trade back to 4th and still get him, while getting a couple of extra picks in the process.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I give Poles 1,985 Stars.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Almost nothing we do, say or think does shit to actually help the team. About all we could do to help the team would be to boycott them until they start fielding a winning team, but that won't work because for everyone being critical there's others applauding anything the team does and the waiting list for tickets is long.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I predict this draft produces one Hall of famer and two pro bowl caliber players.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
After taking some time, to ponder the how/why of what was available/cap situation, I'll give it a B. My initial "meatball/knee jerk" reaction was a grade of C-. But they filled needs, with the first two 2nd rounders, with guys who could possibly be long term starters... on rookie deals. It'll work.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The secondary killed the team last year? Really, because the team that I watched last year, The Chicago Bears, were killed by the offense.

Fact:
When the bears scored more then 19 points they were 7-3 in 2020 and 6-4 in 2021.
When the bears score less then 20 points they are 1-6 in 2020 and 1-8 in 2021

League average is 23 points per game. So, if they could just be average they will win a lot more games with the current D.

Last season they averaged 16.3 points a game and they gave up 21.4
Is it logical to say lets improve the secondary and only give up 19.8 ppg and then we will only lose by a 3.5 ppg??? NO
It is logical to close the gap! they need to score more points!

Its almost like half this board doesn't actually watch the games!
I watched the games, and didn't change channels when the opponent had the ball.

They allowed the 2nd most passing TDs in franchise history last year, nearly 2 per game. They played from behind regularly.

Is it logical to think they need to improve the offense? Sure!
Is it logical to think allowing fewer points will help? Yes.
Is it logical to think the only way to get better is to score more? No.

I agree they need to improve the offense. Significantly. But I don't fall into the trap that they should only focus on one side of the ball. Seems every year we get people suggesting they draft only one side of the ball, and that never happens. One team drafted D with their first 5 picks this year and it is only the second time in NFL history a team did that. Yet someone here suggests this one side of the ball approach every year. It's simply not realistic or practical.

Last edited:

Speed

Liked Posts:
C

I like that we're starting to emphasize what you can teach, athleticism. Lots of raw guys tho. Like the move downs to stockpile more picks because deeper draft, covid, blah, blah, blah.

Hope it works out for our sanity.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Considering the shitty position Pace left the team and Poles had limited options and so many needs, I would give a
C. Bears are gonna be doormats for a while might as well get used to it.
I agree.

Fields might be good enough to transcend a lot of error, but this draft makes me sick given some of what was available.

For instance, Gordon is an ok prospect but he doesn’t blow me away. We needed a #2 and I think he’s a number 2. Ok.

But there were good offensive players on the board, and I would have taken Matt Corral there. The former projected #1 pick of this class.

I think you can rehab his image, develop with Fields for a year or two, keep the best one and trade the other for a first rounder.

I like the safety and the idea of the LTs from San Diego State and Southern, although I think you only end up with one guard of the two, and nothing from the center but a back-up who won’t fuck up the snap.

WHY did we replace Mustipher with Mustipher?

I like the WR from Tennessee.

Poles exposed himself to me as a poor decision maker, which is why he created all these systems to take desicions out of the process probably.

I really hate this draft and think we got a starting safety, a linebacker, a depth WR, a nickel corner who will start too early outside at #2because we have poor depth there and probably get exposed, then moved to nickel. And a chance the San Diego St lineman develops into decent left guard.

Now that’s better than par for the course with these NFL GMs, I’m more pissed about the missed opportunities.

The glaring issue is all the positions I liked the picked at are low value easy to come by positions.

Matt Corral alone may have carried a greater lasting pick value 3 years from now than our entire class will.