RB Room

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What is CCS's pulse on the current RB platoon? Good enough? Missing something?

Between Foreman, Herbert and Roschon - they have 234 carries for 1008 yards - 4.3 avg YPC. This is better than I thought it would be.

49 catches for 311 yards.

Foreman will be a FA. Bears have Herbert for one more season and Roschon under control through 2026.

Herbert just doesn't look the same after coming back from his injury imo. Based on the eye test, I feel Foreman has likely been the best RB - is he worth brining back on a two year contract or should they let Roschon fill that role?

Personally, I think they are missing something. While the running back by committee approach has been sufficient, they need some sort of speed/pass catcher back there and it doesn't seem like Herbert is going to be that guy. I'd be fine if they ran it back with this group for 2024 given other needs, but if Poles can identify someone more electric in the draft in the 3rd/4th/5th - could be a better plan moving forward. What say you CCS?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It doesn't excite me really. Would rather have a RB that can do it all to go with Roschon. Run it anywhere and catch it and have the speed to take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is CCS's pulse on the current RB platoon? Good enough? Missing something?

Between Foreman, Herbert and Roschon - they have 234 carries for 1008 yards - 4.3 avg YPC. This is better than I thought it would be.

49 catches for 311 yards.

Foreman will be a FA. Bears have Herbert for one more season and Roschon under control through 2026.

Herbert just doesn't look the same after coming back from his injury imo. Based on the eye test, I feel Foreman has likely been the best RB - is he worth brining back on a two year contract or should they let Roschon fill that role?

Personally, I think they are missing something. While the running back by committee approach has been sufficient, they need some sort of speed/pass catcher back there and it doesn't seem like Herbert is going to be that guy. I'd be fine if they ran it back with this group for 2024 given other needs, but if Poles can identify someone more electric in the draft in the 3rd/4th/5th - could be a better plan moving forward. What say you CCS?
I like Evans a lot, did he piss in someone's cereal? The problem with all three of our current backs is they all suck in pass protection. In all seriousness, they should have kept Monty, signed Foreman and not drafted Johnson, imo.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
RB is far down the list of roster issues imo. I like Foreman a lot but he doesn't bring the big play potential. I'd stick with the RB by committee approach moving forward.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Foreman is likely gone in 2024. Solid back but is a liability in the passing game and pass blocking as well.

Just as long as the Bears don’t spend an early round pick on a RB like the LoLions

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Foreman is likely gone in 2024. Solid back but is a liability in the passing game and pass blocking as well.

Just as long as the Bears don’t spend an early round pick on a RB like the LoLions
lucky for us? FA is deep at rb this year. I like Pollard but he will likely cost some

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think you've got a solid #1 RB in Johnson if that's the role you'd want him to play. A healthy Herbert and Johnson is a nice 1-2 if Foreman isn't around. But if you're going to let Foreman walk and aren't crazy about retaining Herbert long-term then another RB in the 3rd or 4th would be a nice selection. We've got 2 4th rounders this year.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cowboys fans aren’t too enamored with Pollard this year since he’s taken a step back when tasked with the lion’s share of the carries. I’m in the camp of never paying for an RB unless they’re the one missing piece and ultra-special (think 49ers and CMC). Otherwise, spend the money and resources on the line which will make all RBs look better.

I do agree with wishing we had better pass blocking RBs though…

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I loved Achane coming out. I want a guy that can stun a defense with his speed.

I’d like to see a legitimate home run threat added to the mix. I’m all for extending Foreman too. He runs hard and that matters as the weather gets colder.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is the way - but they need some different skill sets if going RBBC. Foreman/Herbert/Roschon bring all the same things to the table it seems.
Not true. Johnson is adept at pass blocking and receiving. He whiffed on a block a couple of weeks ago but then followed it up by blocking 2 Vikings on the same snap on a blitz. Herbert & Foreman are very similar, Herbert is faster but easier to bring down.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not true. Johnson is adept at pass blocking and receiving. He whiffed on a block a couple of weeks ago but then followed it up by blocking 2 Vikings on the same snap on a blitz. Herbert & Foreman are very similar, Herbert is faster but easier to bring down.
Johnson sucks at pass blocking lol...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Low investment. Including Homer and Blassingame they are spending like $9m total on five RBs. That's the most important thing with RBs.

I would like them to get a dedicated pass protector/3rd down guy for next year though, in place of Foreman or Homer. I hope Roschon really works on that aspect of his game in the offseason. He's shown flashes of it but has been inconsistent.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Johnson sucks at pass blocking lol...

Lol, I've seen people say he's good at pass blocking and seen people say he's bad. I've seen the same clips where he picks up two blockers or completely lays out a guy. I've also seen clips where he completely whiffs. Safe to say, he's just a rookie and inconsistent. Hopefully and area he can grow in.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol, I've seen people say he's good at pass blocking and seen people say he's bad. I've seen the same clips where he picks up two blockers or completely lays out a guy. I've also seen clips where he completely whiffs. Safe to say, he's just a rookie and inconsistent. Hopefully and area he can grow in.
fair enough. I have yet to see a wow pickup from him but I am also not watching his game as much as I probably should in that aspect, unless it's a whiff that can't be missed.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Going with Foreman over Johnson is like Detroit giving Monty carries over the obviously more explosive Gibbs. Johnson will get stopped at the line more often but he also gives you a better chance at a big play. He’s just inconsistent being a rookie and hasn’t really had the chance.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
Herbert is still hurt. When healthy, he is more than acceptable at starter. His YPC is actually elite. I think he also got better at pass catching and he will be in a contract year. I expect Johnson to make a very big leap between year 1 and 2. He was supposed to be good at everything, which we have not seen yet, especially in blocking. As we have seen with both the Bears and around the league, you need multiple backs good enough to start so if Foreman is interested in returning, I'm happy to have him. That's a good RB group if it goes through expected continued development.

Roll with Herbert one more year and hopefully be able to hand off to Roschon in 25, while drafting a RB good enough to replace Herbert. Same scenario as Monty

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Going with Foreman over Johnson is like Detroit giving Monty carries over the obviously more explosive Gibbs. Johnson will get stopped at the line more often but he also gives you a better chance at a big play. He’s just inconsistent being a rookie and hasn’t really had the chance.
Johnson is the slowest back the bears have. I'm not interested in him being a lead back in his bears tenure, he's fine for depth.

I'm hoping they find another good rb in rd 4

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Big fan of the Bears RB churning - it’s in my mind a position you can get dollar returns on penny investments. They could use a shifty RB that’s good at HB option route which you can likely get on day 3. I like the Oregon and Clemson guy if either are still there in round 4. With Johnson being drafted I think Foreman is in many ways redundant so you probably let him walk.