Reasonable expectations for Gervon Dexter in year 1

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am actually bullish on Dexter. I think he he is going to flash quite a bit. The Bears will use him differently than they did in college. While he was matriculating he was more of a space taker. The Bears touched on this a bit and after seeing how he was used I think he received a bad rap with criticisms of his first step. He generally was not asked to hit a hole with immediacy. He will be with the Bears and I think he will be a force at times on the line.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Rotational piece to start with.
I think its going to take him a little time to acclimate to the pro game. He likely starts the year 2nd on the depth chart.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
3-4 sacks and starting by the end of the season. I'd like to see a much better run defense with him as a catalyst
I think with a healthy rotation whoever is the "starter" is really a non-issue for the fans. Obviously being named the starter is huge for the player. That said, I agree with your thoughts here. If he's helping stuff the run then anything he provides in terms of pass rush is gravy.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think he is a improvement from day one over last year. I expect solid run def with flashes of pass rush. Rookie sure but he can be a nice part of the rotation.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I am actually bullish on Dexter. I think he he is going to flash quite a bit. The Bears will use him differently than they did in college. While he was matriculating he was more of a space taker. The Bears touched on this a bit and after seeing how he was used I think he received a bad rap with criticisms of his first step. He generally was not asked to hit a hole with immediacy. He will be with the Bears and I think he will be a force at times on the line.
I am hoping by the end of the season he is showing some promise at being a legit starter, if Dexter and Pickens end up being somewhere between legit starter and good rotational, I would not be surprised. However, I would love to see some real flashes of talent along the way. It takes 6 or 7 good to really good players to make up a 4 man front. These two could end up being part of a group like that. But, it still looks like the Bears should target a 3 tech and DE in the early rounds of next years draft. We still need the high end players at every position group.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Man, you got Will Sutton on the brain...
No, the OP went to Arizona State and was touting the greatness of Sutton coming out.

That’s the subtext.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just hope Of the 3 DT, one or two of them pan out. Hell I think with their skill level Pickens could flex out as a DE.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I think that rookies need to show effort and an understanding of their assignments to be considered successful draft picks. This year should be about setting up expectations and showing off the traits that will make him successful. So I expect him to be a high effort player in the rotation, and I expect him to be disciplined in his lane.

I have hope that he will be violent in the middle; any DT that can collapse the pocket would be a breath of fresh air. Anyone that can eat up the cutback lane would be welcome. Any play in the backfield will be great, really.
Probably a fair assessment which I think he will pass with flying colors, don't forget Pickens either, this pair will be
around and successful for a good while.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Bump this response.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
No, the OP went to Arizona State and was touting the greatness of Sutton coming out.

That’s the subtext.
I went to Az State and I thought Sutton was over drafted looked like a fifth/sixth rounder to my eyes...but he was very effective in college.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't have any major expectations for him. Has great size and love his volume of tackle stats in college, but I don't expect a big impact. Maybe 20-25 tackles, less than 2.5 sacks, a couple batted passes maybe.