Red Sox interested in Matt Garza

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m struggling to recall the last time we heard something from Phil Rogers’ Sunday “Whispers” column that was both (a) juicy; and (b) actually happened, but this one at least has (a) covered: The Red Sox are reportedly interested in Matt Garza. Rogers says that Garza is “high on the list.”

Which makes sense. Garza’s strikeout rate is way up from a year ago. Blame some crappy defense behind him in Chicago and some bad luck for his record and ERA, but he’s still a fine pitcher who would be an awesome fit for a contender. But of course, the stuff that makes him so awesome — his stuff and, most especially the fact that he’s under team control for two and a half more years — makes it really unlikely that the Cubs would want to trade him. So maybe he’s high on the Red Sox’ list of targets, but I can’t think of a reason why he’s be anywhere on the Cubs’ radar as trade fodder.

Source

This article is mildy speculative and highly Special person, yet it still poses some semi-interesting questions. The two that immediately came to my mind were: Do you guys think the Cubs would be willing to part ways with Garza, and who's job was it to proofread this thing? :shrug:

J

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'd expect them to keep Garza...but we'll listen. I guess there's always a chance that Ricketts will sell off anything ppl are willing to buy, but :shrug:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO, Garza is a piece of of the puzzle the Cubs should keep going forward.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely should be listening to offers.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He should be the 2 starter for the next two years. No way they get back right now what they gave up for him in January.

Rick

Liked Posts:
Listen to the offers and demand quality prospects in return.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
As I said in the other thread where this article was brought up, unless we get back what we got to get him Garza should stay. I mean a top 50 prospect, a top 100 prospect and another guy with a decent ceiling. You can the keep the roster filler guys that both sides got out of the deal.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
got to atleast see what the sox have to offer..if there's nothing enticing..then the best thing is to keep garza who will be a key starter in the rotation for the next couple of years

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Seems like we're all on the same page here. Moving On.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
If they can get great value for him, then sure, i'd pull the trigger. But if we are just trying to dump him because he hasnt been a success, then thats just wrong. Dont give up assets for sake of trading.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
As I said in the other thread where this article was brought up, unless we get back what we got to get him Garza should stay. I mean a top 50 prospect, a top 100 prospect and another guy with a decent ceiling. You can the keep the roster filler guys that both sides got out of the deal.

I must've missed that, my bad.

J

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Red Sox have a good farm, see if they can match what you gave to Tampa then do it. If not, fuck 'em, Garza is under control till 2013 anyway and will be important the next two seasons.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
so we traded some of our best prospects for this chump I said this trade was bad last year this just reconfirms that.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
so we traded some of our best prospects for this chump I said this trade was bad last year this just reconfirms that.

How does the information that another team wants Matt Garza a lot confirm that this was a bad trade by the Cubs?

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd definitely prefer to keep him and I'm pretty sure we will but the Cubs would be dumb to not listen. Make 'em overpay or keep him.

AceCubbie

Liked Posts:
Red Sox have a good farm, see if they can match what you gave to Tampa then do it. If not, fuck 'em, Garza is under control till 2013 anyway and will be important the next two seasons.

Eh. I've read that the Red Sox's system is as down as it's been in 10 years. It's just average at this point.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh. I've read that the Red Sox's system is as down as it's been in 10 years. It's just average at this point.

Well it has to be somewhat down after they traded their number 1 and 3 prospects. I think it was in the other thread that we mentioned some of the names of the top guys (Ranaudo, Pimetel, Britton, Igelisis). Some are enamored with some of them, but I am not that big of a fan Igelisis. And I personally worry about trading for any arms that are more than a couple years away. There are also some candidates to buy low on perhaps in Kalish and Anderson, but I agree that as a whole the Red Sox system isn't what it was.

And as an aside nice article about the Cubs trade candidates. I read it when it was posted at another Cubs site that we both frequent apparently.

AceCubbie

Liked Posts:
Well it has to be somewhat down after they traded their number 1 and 3 prospects. I think it was in the other thread that we mentioned some of the names of the top guys (Ranaudo, Pimetel, Britton, Igelisis). Some are enamored with some of them, but I am not that big of a fan Igelisis. And I personally worry about trading for any arms that are more than a couple years away. There are also some candidates to buy low on perhaps in Kalish and Anderson, but I agree that as a whole the Red Sox system isn't what it was.

And as an aside nice article about the Cubs trade candidates. I read it when it was posted at another Cubs site that we both frequent apparently.

Well thank you very much. Here's hoping it proves prescient with respect to at least a few of the trades.