Reds Shopping 2B Phillips?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/reds-notes-phillips-baker-perez.html

The Reds could deal second baseman Brandon Phillips this offseason, says Reds announcer Marty Brennaman (via MetsBlog's Matthew Cerrone). With the firing of Dusty Baker, the Reds might be looking to give their team a makeover, and dealing Phillips would be the best way to clear payroll and acquire prospects, Brennaman says. Of course, it might be fair to question whether a 90-win team needs the kind of makeover that involves trading established players for prospects, or how easy it would be for the Reds to trade Phillips (who is 32, coming off a down season, and owed $50MM through 2017), for top-notch prospects in the first place. Here are more notes on the Reds' managerial opening.

Interesting. Anyone think he's gonna be worth what they're asking for him? Would you want him? What would you be willing to give up?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
50 mil for the next 4 yrs is no big deal, only question is how much do you give up for a 33 YO player that your not sure how he going to bounce back and perform his last 4 yrs.

i doubt the reds deal him in division, but i wouldnt give up any of their top core prospects for him..

id go with a starter like arrieta and a couple of 2nd tier prospects..

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
50 mil for the next 4 yrs is no big deal, only question is how much do you give up for a 33 YO player that your not sure how he going to bounce back and perform his last 4 yrs.

i doubt the reds deal him in division, but i wouldnt give up any of their top core prospects for him..

id go with a starter like arrieta and a couple of 2nd tier prospects..

he's still an above avg. 2B, but his stats the last cpl years are discerning.

Stats from 2011-2013:
HR: 18, 18, 18

AVG: .300, .281, .261

OBP: .353, .321, .310

SLG: .457, .429, .396

SB: 14, 15, 5
WAR: 5.6, 3.7, 2.6

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
The decline is pretty steady, but if the Yankees lose Cano I could see them going for him.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love how Phillips showboats and make sit look easy. I laugh when he makes a routine play look amazing.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not all that interested. Phillips is a good player but not really a good fit. If he were an OF he would potentially fit but between AA, Baez, Bryant, Olt Castro, Villenuva and Rizzo the infield is crowded with young guys.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not all that interested. Phillips is a good player but not really a good fit. If he were an OF he would potentially fit but between AA, Baez, Bryant, Olt Castro, Villenuva and Rizzo the infield is crowded with young guys.

Yeah, but you've gotta have a vet or two somewhere. I'm more concerned about his #s declining as his contract gets more expensive than his age and who he could potentially block.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good player, fun to watch, but I totally do not expect the Cubs to be interested and they probably shouldn't be. He's worth a trade to someone though.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Na, bp is past his prime but his mouth is probably just getting started. He is also a righty. We don't need anymore of them with the plethora of righties coming up the next couple of years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Na, bp is past his prime but his mouth is probably just getting started. He is also a righty. We don't need anymore of them with the plethora of righties coming up the next couple of years.

It is all about timing. Next year they need a RH thump er to replace Sori in the line up until Baez gets on the team. After Baez gets up it becomes a mute point.

I would rather them go after a low cost solution via F/A (doesn't cost prospects) vs losing the talent that they have been acquiring over the last 2 years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Side note: Still think it was stupid to trade Sori just to shave off 4 mil from 2014's budget. Sori in LF was the in-between to the RH power but it just shows how hard up the Rickets are for cash if they are pulling dicey moves like that which weaken the team just to save a mire 4 mil on 2014 payroll and 2 mil from 2013 payroll.

Funny thing is: Sori came in #2 on the Yanks in HR's 219 AB's. 17.

Ended up with .255/.302/.489 34 HR 101 RBI's back to back come back years. I'd say his resurgence was not a one year wonder.

His 18 mil contract was being earned.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Side note: Still think it was stupid to trade Sori just to shave off 4 mil from 2014's budget. Sori in LF was the in-between to the RH power but it just shows how hard up the Rickets are for cash if they are pulling dicey moves like that which weaken the team just to save a mire 4 mil on 2014 payroll and 2 mil from 2013 payroll.
They didn't trade Soriano just to shave $4 mil off the 2014 budget.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

Cubs like that pitching spec they got. They think he can be a an impact arm late in games in couple of yrs

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Really? So they did it to give Sori a get out of prison card then. I can buy that even though the Cubs are worse now then they were with him.

There is no player on the team that has hit 34 HR's and drove in 100 RBI's.