Reds Shopping 2B Phillips?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There is no player on the team that has hit 34 HR's and drove in 100 RBI's.

i have nothing against soriano, but i doubt he hits another 17 HR and drives in 50 runs if he had remained with the cubs with very little offensive production surrounding him..

the moving of soriano was mainly to allow him to be able to have a chance to win a championship and for the cubs to play their younger guys in OF and see what they can do and how they will fit in for 2014.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
i have nothing against soriano, but i doubt he hits another 17 HR and drives in 50 runs if he had remained with the cubs with very little offensive production surrounding him..

the moving of soriano was mainly to allow him to be able to have a chance to win a championship and for the cubs to play their younger guys in OF and see what they can do and how they will fit in for 2014.

I take it by that you mean Lake. Last I checked he was in CF at the time of the trade and he ended up in a platoon with Bog in LF. So the opening was to play Sweeney and Bog not Lake as Lake was getting AB's at that point.

Also the point on a chance to win a championship is over played. Sori did not care as much as is being played out. He said this is the first time it feels true and he was happy being a Cub and helping mature youth.

Now on if he would hit 17 HR's. Who is to say. He has been a streaky hitter. It could have been a refesher being on a competitive team back in NY that got his focus up as far as we know. But the bottom line is he hit 34 HR's. Can't under sell that point.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

First off, no one knows what Soriano would or would not have done for the remainder of the year with the Cubs because he went to a pretty stout pitching division in the AL East and put up numbers which I thought was tough to do, and yes, the Cubs are worse as a major league team without him because they are paying most of his salary, and the prospect they got is not near the majors and may never be.

Second, they did not need to move Soriano in order for kids to play. That would have been justifiable if Baez or Soler would have came up. Putting Jr Lake or whomever out in LF was nothing more than to stick a live body out there.

Also, in order to suck as bad as they did this past year or last, they are going to have to replace his offensive numbers somehow.

How do you propose that they do that? Stick Vitters, B-Jax, Bogu, or Sweeney out there and hope for the best? Ain't happenin.

This was not a good move by management in my opinion and I see no reason for it. It isn't as if Sori was a clubhouse cancer like Zambrano.

They should have just either let his contract expire, or sold him off next year for whatever and hope that his spot would have been taken by someone who is actually part of the future.

I guess it's water under the bridge now. :popcorn: