Remydat Draft Thoughts

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I don't care if they ran Trevor Semien out there to start for a year. Last two teams to win a Super Bowl won it after the season after acquiring a vet quarterback. Bears could've built things up in 2022 and gone for it in 2023 off-season on the free agency or trade market.

Instead we get to watch Justin Fields fall over himself, fumble the ball and throw it to the wrong team.
Hi !

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking at some of these picks now, I think if we could say, Pickens over Gordon, but Brisker is a W. Jones and Robinson are solid. None of the other Oline picks besides Carter and Jones really seemed like roster level talent, but with Kramer on IR maybe he can prove us wrong next offseason, though FA and draft may push him to the cutting room floor.

Now, the Elephant in the room is Velus Jones Jr. As a 3rd round pick, right now, it's looking bad. Yeah he had that one TD running play her made, but it's one up and 3 downs right now in the major plays room. If he was 21-23, we might be looking at this a lil bit different. But at 25, he has less time to grow and less time to get ready because unlike a 21 22 year old rookie, his body is already in his prime and his game won't get much better in terms of physical skills. If he wants a chance to start and a job next year, he's going to have to do a great deal of working with his hands in in-game situations. Muffing one or two punts in a season is one thing, but not in a few games, and that drop just hurts the soul. I do not know how well of a blocker he is, but if Pettis, and St. Brown are making the active roaster, he must not be as good as them. Heard talks about making him a RM WR Hybrid, kind of like Patterson is... he improves his hands of stone, that might be deadly and might make the sting of losing Monty worth it, if Poles don't re-sign.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Looking at some of these picks now, I think if we could say, Pickens over Gordon, but Brisker is a W. Jones and Robinson are solid. None of the other Oline picks besides Carter and Jones really seemed like roster level talent, but with Kramer on IR maybe he can prove us wrong next offseason, though FA and draft may push him to the cutting room floor.

Now, the Elephant in the room is Velus Jones Jr. As a 3rd round pick, right now, it's looking bad. Yeah he had that one TD running play her made, but it's one up and 3 downs right now in the major plays room. If he was 21-23, we might be looking at this a lil bit different. But at 25, he has less time to grow and less time to get ready because unlike a 21 22 year old rookie, his body is already in his prime and his game won't get much better in terms of physical skills. If he wants a chance to start and a job next year, he's going to have to do a great deal of working with his hands in in-game situations. Muffing one or two punts in a season is one thing, but not in a few games, and that drop just hurts the soul. I do not know how well of a blocker he is, but if Pettis, and St. Brown are making the active roaster, he must not be as good as them. Heard talks about making him a RM WR Hybrid, kind of like Patterson is... he improves his hands of stone, that might be deadly and might make the sting of losing Monty worth it, if Poles don't re-sign.
And Pettis and St. Brown are just terrible. At this point, Velus Jones looks like a big miss. Need to provide Fields with some elite receiving talent, which probably will have to be by drafting.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Not everyone needs to be elite, but not drop the ball when the defender is not in the way, that be nice.
True, but why not shoot for the stars. Other teams manage to have great receivers. Why have the Bears been at the bottom in WR yards for so many years? How about because they have rarely prioritized drafting top receivers.

You've got a potentially great QB. Give him the weapons!

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, but why not shoot for the stars. Other teams manage to have great receivers. Why have the Bears been at the bottom in WR yards for so many years? How about because they have rarely prioritized drafting top receivers.

You've got a potentially great QB. Give him the weapons!
You get all superstars they will all want superstar money and thus meaning the door and room and odds to have superstars decrease. Besides, most teams only have maybe 2 superstars. Everyone else is just at Darnell Mooney level or slightly better or worse. The superstar makes them look better as he is the one, and everyone else just falls in place.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Good or bad you can’t judge a draft class or rookie half way through a season. We have no idea if Pickens will end up a better pro than Gordon. Admittedly, Gordon has looked rough. CB is a very difficult position for rookies, and the Bears threw CB and NB tasks at him which is a tall order.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

They need to switch VJJ to RB now. I’m sure the Vikings would love to have CP and Cook in their backfield.

VJJ looks like a bust so far but I can also see Fields running the option with VJJ as something that could be pretty dangerous. They’re both big and fast and can beat defenders to to edge for nice gains. It would be hard to defend. Then you can start mixing in bubble screens and end a rounds then wheel routes and slants. I guess my point is find something that VJJ can contribute right now and build out from there.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
And Pettis and St. Brown are just terrible. At this point, Velus Jones looks like a big miss. Need to provide Fields with some elite receiving talent, which probably will have to be by drafting.
I’m not sure we need Elite WR talent in the draft, this year. I’m not convinced. I think with Claypool and Money, we really need a role player with sticky hands that can move the chains.

I’m leaning towards keeping ESB for his blocking, Harry, Claypool, and Mooney. So, we need a sticky handed slot(think JSN or the kid from Penn State) or a flex TE like the kid from Utah.

I think we need to focus on talent at RT and DL, tackle AND end. Let’s pull down a winning season next year, make the playoffs, and then make a run at top talent when Jones is in his third year and a good LT, as is the rest of the line.

This all goes out the window if Jones from TCU is on the board when we pick. Fuck it, grab that dude.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
They need to switch VJJ to RB now. I’m sure the Vikings would love to have CP and Cook in their backfield.

VJJ looks like a bust so far but I can also see Fields running the option with VJJ as something that could be pretty dangerous. They’re both big and fast and can beat defenders to to edge for nice gains. It would be hard to defend. Then you can start mixing in bubble screens and end a rounds then wheel routes and slants. I guess my point is find something that VJJ can contribute right now and build out from there.

Yep. He’s more of a RB/gadget player than a WR. He should be used in that capacity and on kickoffs. No more punt return duties

Nelly

Liked Posts:

If anyone looks like a bust from this class so far, it's him. I'm not writing him off there's some big red flags. The most obvious of which is that he was drafted as a weapon in the punt return game yet can't be counted on to actually catch the punts.

As a receiver, it's not like this coaching staff has shown a hesitancy to play young guys all across both the offense and defense and let them take their lumps. Most obvious examples are Fields on offense and Gordon on defense, both of which have looked terrible at times yet never got yanked. Jones is a 3rd round pick so it's not like it's a tiny investment. And until Claypool came along, there's only two guys on the team you could say definitively should play over him: Mooney and Pringle, and Pringle's been hurt.

So he's in the same bucket with St. Brown, Pettis and Harry. I look mostly at Pettis who's got time at receiver and returner, who's also a young guy as well who hasn't got much PT in the NFL yet. Jones' inability to get playing time over a scrap-heap pickup like him shows that there's probably numerous things there: inability to run routes, inability to block/execute blocking assignments, inability to perhaps even grasp the playbook.

If all (or most) of the above are indeed true then a move to running back might not just be the smart move but totally necessary to get any value out of him.

RandomGuy

Liked Posts:
Good or bad you can’t judge a draft class or rookie half way through a season. We have no idea if Pickens will end up a better pro than Gordon. Admittedly, Gordon has looked rough. CB is a very difficult position for rookies, and the Bears threw CB and NB tasks at him which is a tall order.

Gordon has everything you need in a corner except top end speed. His other athletic intangibles are off the charts.
I agree that he is in a tough position and I also believe that he has the foundation to become a very good player in time. He just needs the experience
He has already been getting better at steady pace.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Gordon has everything you need in a corner except top end speed. His other athletic intangibles are off the charts.
I agree that he is in a tough position and I also believe that he has the foundation to become a very good player in time. He just needs the experience
He has already been getting better at steady pace.

The fact that the pass rush is complete trash doesn’t help his learning curve either

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying he is a bust, I'm say it just looks bad. My thing is for anyone who makes it to the NFL as a WR, you would think catching the ball would be more a thing. It makes me glad how dedicated Mooney is to improving his hands to be honest and hopes he becomes more of a stud in this offense for years to come. And while I'm not against the idea of Gordon as being a CB piece of the future, in a man to man style defense, you need speed or something to set you apart to keep up with guys in the NFL, you remember Charles Tillman as great as he was defending tall corners, you put him against someone with speed in man to man he would get killed, it was why the Panthers killed the bears. Also help Smith was a star Wideout. Vildor is your fastest starting corner, and he's just mildly faster. But with now real size to him, you lack a stud stud DB, the guy who can do it all.

My only guess as to why the first pieces in the draft we defense was that he wasn't as sold as some would be no on Fields

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If anyone looks like a bust from this class so far, it's him. I'm not writing him off there's some big red flags. The most obvious of which is that he was drafted as a weapon in the punt return game yet can't be counted on to actually catch the punts.

As a receiver, it's not like this coaching staff has shown a hesitancy to play young guys all across both the offense and defense and let them take their lumps. Most obvious examples are Fields on offense and Gordon on defense, both of which have looked terrible at times yet never got yanked. Jones is a 3rd round pick so it's not like it's a tiny investment. And until Claypool came along, there's only two guys on the team you could say definitively should play over him: Mooney and Pringle, and Pringle's been hurt.

So he's in the same bucket with St. Brown, Pettis and Harry. I look mostly at Pettis who's got time at receiver and returner, who's also a young guy as well who hasn't got much PT in the NFL yet. Jones' inability to get playing time over a scrap-heap pickup like him shows that there's probably numerous things there: inability to run routes, inability to block/execute blocking assignments, inability to perhaps even grasp the playbook.

If all (or most) of the above are indeed true then a move to running back might not just be the smart move but totally necessary to get any value out of him.
My biggest thing, if you are looking for talent, use them in the way they might play best. My suggestion, between him and Ebner use them both as gadget players and get them both in open space and try to let them work. I think this is another wrinkle in the offense they should try with both of them since they have the speed and skills to on paper make people miss. Why they been running Ebner up the middle on some of the few carries he has had, drives me nuts.

Note, Only reason I mention Ebner, though he is a topic focus, is because I feel it is another dimension to what could make this offense better and shares that with VVJ, again, on paper. Could honestly say the same thing for Pettis, but I think there is more potential in the other two.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Yep. He’s more of a RB/gadget player than a WR. He should be used in that capacity and on kickoffs. No more punt return duties
The issue is that he’s more of a Wingback than a true back out of the backfield. Since we are using Morehouse concepts in Getsy’s O, and it has elements of the old school Single Wing, there is a place for a Wingback concept in the O. He’d just take handoffs and pitches from the slot, which is referred to as the “wing” in the single wing or wing offenses.

I’d be happy for him to be integrated as a wingback, especially if they integrate his skill set as a big joker type of offensive weapon.