Research on Kony Ealy and Trent Murphy

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Before really watching both of these guys intently, it seemed like Ealy was the easy choice. Played in a tougher division, still put up good stats, was a more prototypical DE size and was more athletic. The more I watch both of them, the more I begin to wonder if I want either of these two players. I have watched film from two games this season on both of these guys intently and read numerous reports online. While this isn't a huge body of work, a mix of what you read from the experts and two games of film to pass the eye test I think gives some idea as to what the player is about. Here is what I found and I will break it down into a couple of categories that are most important for a defensive end- Athleticism, versatility, motor, impact and technique.

I watched tape on these games -

Missouri vs Florida
Missouri vs Kentucky
Stanford vs USC
Stanford vs Washington

I know these aren't their toughest games but its all I could find. The LT's Ealy played against don't seem half bad though. D.J Humphries was a 5 star OT and Darrian Miller was a 4 star LT coming out of high school.

Athleticism -
Ealy is known to be the more athletic of the two pass rushers. He is bigger, faster and more explosive than Murphy. What he lacks however, is strength in my opinion. Maybe its the level of competition but Murphy just looks stronger and more physical in the run game. He is able to create more disruption and got off his blocks better in the run game in comparison to Ealy despite being undersized. Murphy lacks the explosiveness that Ealy can bring to the table though and is able to create disruption just by simply blowing by his man.
Advantage - Ealy

Versatility -
Both have unique talents as far as their ability to play different positions. Ealy moved inside to DT a lot in the film and was able to be somewhat productive as a pass rusher from the interior. Murphy on the other hand, played a LB role similar to what Shea McCllelin for Boise State displaying good instincts and some coverage ability. The problem I have with that though is, unless the Bears are moving to a 3-4, that ability and him being undersized (same size as McCllelin only 2 inches taller) isn't going to help him as a 4-3 defensive end. Ealy's ability to move inside will be much more valuable at the next level for the Bears in a 4-3 scheme.
Advantage - Ealy

Motor -
Now this is where Ealy loses some big points. Ealy maybe the most athletic and versatile DE in this draft not named Jadaveon Clowney....but only when he wants to be. Another defensive end who takes plays off and only makes plays when he feels like it. While I was watching, he would just go missing, get pushed back at times and just play with no effort and other teams he would drive his man back and make a nice play on the ballcarrier. The problem is, he doesn't have a Julius Peppers, Jadaveon Clowney or Mario Williams skill set to be that dominant and disruptive and take plays off. He needs to be more consistent. Murphy is an all effort guy. No question.
Advantage - Murphy

Impact -
Because of Ealy's inconsistent motor, it felt like Murphy was without a doubt the better playmaker. Murphy seemed to be always around the ball and was always in the backfield causing disruption. Ealy was very hot and cold.
Advantage - Murphy

Technique -
Trent Murphy was a lot better with this hands, he was able to get off his block quicker and he used an array of different moves and techniques to get by his blocker. He did get 4 sacks in those two games I watched and he probably could have got 2 more and caused a couple of hurries as well. I would like to say however, out of the two games I watched on 1 sack he was untouched, 2 times he beat a TE to get the sack in what looked like poor blocking and only 1 time did he really make a nice to get there. Just saying that while he may be disruptive now in college, he does have a little trouble finishing it off and getting there in time possibly to his athleticism. Murphy is the better run defender too. Murphy plays a lot better contain and just looks stronger. Ealy doesn't look like a polished pass rusher and relies on athleticism. Can bite and get caught out in the run game too, saw it happen quite a few times.
Advantage - Murphy

So while Murphy has won me over I still question the talent he faced, his athleticism and size which, makes me doubt he is worth a 1st round pick. The guy weighs the same as Shea McClellin does, is 2 inches taller but I would also say is less athletic...

I would stay away from both these guys. Discuss.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before really watching both of these guys intently, it seemed like Ealy was the easy choice. Played in a tougher division, still put up good stats, was a more prototypical DE size and was more athletic. The more I watch both of them, the more I begin to wonder if I want either of these two players. I have watched film from two games this season on both of these guys intently and read numerous reports online. While this isn't a huge body of work, a mix of what you read from the experts and two games of film to pass the eye test I think gives some idea as to what the player is about. Here is what I found and I will break it down into a couple of categories that are most important for a defensive end- Athleticism, versatility, motor, impact and technique.

I watched tape on these games -

Missouri vs Florida
Missouri vs Kentucky
Stanford vs USC
Stanford vs Washington

I know these aren't their toughest games but its all I could find. The LT's Ealy played against don't seem half bad though. D.J Humphries was a 5 star OT and Darrian Miller was a 4 star LT coming out of high school.

Athleticism -
Ealy is known to be the more athletic of the two pass rushers. He is bigger, faster and more explosive than Murphy. What he lacks however, is strength in my opinion. Maybe its the level of competition but Murphy just looks stronger and more physical in the run game. He is able to create more disruption and got off his blocks better in the run game in comparison to Ealy despite being undersized. Murphy lacks the explosiveness that Ealy can bring to the table though and is able to create disruption just by simply blowing by his man.
Advantage - Ealy

Versatility -
Both have unique talents as far as their ability to play different positions. Ealy moved inside to DT a lot in the film and was able to be somewhat productive as a pass rusher from the interior. Murphy on the other hand, played a LB role similar to what Shea McCllelin for Boise State displaying good instincts and some coverage ability. The problem I have with that though is, unless the Bears are moving to a 3-4, that ability and him being undersized (same size as McCllelin only 2 inches taller) isn't going to help him as a 4-3 defensive end. Ealy's ability to move inside will be much more valuable at the next level for the Bears in a 4-3 scheme.
Advantage - Ealy

Motor -
Now this is where Ealy loses some big points. Ealy maybe the most athletic and versatile DE in this draft not named Jadaveon Clowney....but only when he wants to be. Another defensive end who takes plays off and only makes plays when he feels like it. While I was watching, he would just go missing, get pushed back at times and just play with no effort and other teams he would drive his man back and make a nice play on the ballcarrier. The problem is, he doesn't have a Julius Peppers, Jadaveon Clowney or Mario Williams skill set to be that dominant and disruptive and take plays off. He needs to be more consistent. Murphy is an all effort guy. No question.
Advantage - Murphy

Impact -
Because of Ealy's inconsistent motor, it felt like Murphy was without a doubt the better playmaker. Murphy seemed to be always around the ball and was always in the backfield causing disruption. Ealy was very hot and cold.
Advantage - Murphy

Technique -
Trent Murphy was a lot better with this hands, he was able to get off his block quicker and he used an array of different moves and techniques to get by his blocker. He did get 4 sacks in those two games I watched and he probably could have got 2 more and caused a couple of hurries as well. I would like to say however, out of the two games I watched on 1 sack he was untouched, 2 times he beat a TE to get the sack in what looked like poor blocking and only 1 time did he really make a nice to get there. Just saying that while he may be disruptive now in college, he does have a little trouble finishing it off and getting there in time possibly to his athleticism. Murphy is the better run defender too. Murphy plays a lot better contain and just looks stronger. Ealy doesn't look like a polished pass rusher and relies on athleticism. Can bite and get caught out in the run game too, saw it happen quite a few times.
Advantage - Murphy

So while Murphy has won me over I still question the talent he faced, his athleticism and size which, makes me doubt he is worth a 1st round pick. The guy weighs the same as Shea McClellin does, is 2 inches taller but I would also say is less athletic...

I would stay away from both these guys.
Discuss.

More like over the hills and far away!

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i think it's a crapshoot. The scouts have seen them live, watched tape and it's still a gamble. I began watching youtubes for my ff keeper league with running backs, go watch tape on trent richardson and then compare it to Zac Stacy, Richardson is a clear winner, now switch to real life, who would you rather have?

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:
Kony Ealy was a beast from my Mizzou Tigers. Mizzou has a history of producing great pass rushers and d-linemen. Sheldon Richardson was the best DT in last year's draft. Aldon and Justin Smith have both been awesome.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
To me, Ealy athletically looks a lot like Ezekiel Ansah did last year. Ansah probably has an edge in speed, strength, agility. It's close, but the difference between 1 being a top 5 pick and the other top 25 or so. Ealy definitely needs some work, technique wise, but clearly has the ability to me. There's not many college players that don't need some kind of work or something. I like Murphy too, but like you said, he reminds me a little too much of McClellin (maybe because he's white), but he does have a good 3" of height on Shea, and it shows in his ability to extend and keep blockers away from his body. So maybe that's an unfair comparison.

I'd be OK with Murphy, if the Bears trade down to the 20s. I don't think he's the a top 15 talent/pick. Ealy on the other hand, I'd gladly draft at 14 and put him on the edge Day 1.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Trent Murphy is a beast with his hand in the ground and rarely blitzes standing up... Thats why you saw him go untouched for a sack and that is why you saw him get stuck on a TE...

Trent Murphy would have had a bunch more sacks this year if he weren't such a great athlete... He was dropped into coverage because he can pretty much do everything...

I saw someone mention Shea McClellan... Shea McClellan was a 3-4 outside linebacker who occasionally put his hand in the dirt and most of Shea's production in college came from standing up...

Trent Murphy is the exact opposite of Shea McClellan... Shea is soft spoken and kind... The way Shayne Skov described trent Murphy is like a Wolf surrounded by a bunch of domesticated dogs... He is an angry mean completely intense person who was admired by his teammates and was considered by many if not all as the leader...

You got inspirational and emotional leaders and then you have those crazy mother fuckers you would follow into a warzone... that is the difference between Trent Murphy and everyone else in this draft...

I don't know about you but I am tired of lethargic sounding players who don't play up to their potential and sound like they have no passion for the game...

Look at the way Brian Urlacher sounded in interviews... He sounds like a pissed off know it all that doesn't second guess himself and doesn't give a fuck what anyone else thinks... Say what you want but that attitude showed up on the field and players rallied around it... The last thing we need on our defense is a money hungry player who half asses plays and is just another guy in a lost defense...

This defense needs a new leader... Murphy all day...