Retired Jerseys of the Chicago Bulls

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
One thing I have always wondered about how the Chicago Bulls organization elects their most honored contributors (owners, coaches, broadcasters, players, general contributors, etc).

As we are all well a where. The retired jerseys/names in the rafters are:

- #4 Jerry Sloan (player: 1966-1976|head coach: 1979-1982)
- #10 Bob Love (player: 1968-1977)
- #23 Michael Jordan (player: 1984-1993, 1995-1998)
- #33 Scottie Pippen (player: 1987-1998; 2003-2004)
- Phil Jackson (ast. coach: 1987-1989|head coach 1989-1998)
- Johnny Kerr (head coach: 1966-1968|business manager: 1973-1975|broadcaster: 1977-2009)
- Jerry Krause (general manager: 1985-2003)

Now, I have always wondered why certain players such as:Norm Van Lier, Artis Gilmore, Chet Walker & Tom Boerwinkle never have been added? Though they did not win a championship...with Jerry Sloan they were apart of the greatest Bulls team ever, until the Jordan Era.

If anything, I believe that Norm Van Lier & Artis Gilmore deserve it the most out of that group. No question that Sloan & Van Lier were arguably the greatest, & hard-nosed, back court in NBA history. Gilmore was a great player for the Bulls during his first stint with the team.

A little more recent & off topic of my main discussion...other players who could see their names up in the rafters is Dennis Rodman or even, maybe Horace Grant.

So, in the end. I hope Van Lier, Gilmore, Walker & Boerwinkle get to join the rafters in the United Center in the future.

**Just clearly making cases for some of the Bulls greats from the past. I do understand a lot more goes into the whole process to hang them up.**

--------------------------------

Thoughts? :thinking:

Last edited:

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Gillmore and Van Lier yes...Boerwinkle? No. Never an allstar...never an all league player. Walker was an allstar pretty much every year he played in Chicago...so that would be interesting...but, I'm thinking Gilmore and Van Lier.

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
Gillmore and Van Lier yes...Boerwinkle? No. Never an allstar...never an all league player. Walker was an allstar pretty much every year he played in Chicago...so that would be interesting...but, I'm thinking Gilmore and Van Lier.

Yeah as am I.....now that you point out everything about Boerwinkle I understand. Van Lier & Gilmore need to be in the rafters in the future.

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
Back to this......if Van Lier & Gilmore don't get added to the United Center rafters......that would be a disappointment. Especially since, rest his soul, Norm Van Lier passed away a couple years ago.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
miami heat retired numbers i believe are 10, 13, 23 and 33

tim hardaway, dan marino, michael jordan and alonzo mourning. lol, only half of them played for the team and a quarter of them never played the sport.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
I'm not upset that guys like Norm Van Lier, Artis Gilmore, Chet Walker, etc. have not had their numbers retired. I think number retirings should be even more selective than they currently are. If the only Bulls numbers hanging were 23 and 33 I'd be ok with that. It's not out of a lack of appreciation for all the other guys, but I've always felt that only the best of the best of the best should have that honor.

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
I'm not upset that guys like Norm Van Lier, Artis Gilmore, Chet Walker, etc. have not had their numbers retired. I think number retirings should be even more selective than they currently are. If the only Bulls numbers hanging were 23 and 33 I'd be ok with that. It's not out of a lack of appreciation for all the other guys, but I've always felt that only the best of the best of the best should have that honor.

You're right! I see what you mean. Just think if the Bulls were the Russell-Celtics back in the day.....we'd be seeing tons of retired jerseys in the rafters lol.

I want to see Van Lier & Gilmore added eventually. If anything because there former teammate Jerry Sloan is up there & they were the greatest Bulls tandem until the Jordan era.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
yeah if you've got jerry sloan up there, gotta put van lier and gilmore. i would put chet walker too, but van lier especially. one of the better defensive backcourts in the league.