I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
traded for him today. solid lefty reliever...probably marks the end for travis wood in a cubs uni

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Brothers isn't a bad bounce back guy for the pen.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Brothers isn't a bad bounce back guy for the pen.

exactly how I felt. im sure cubs are confident they can fix his control issues. he has always had good SO numbers

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Seems like he's a guy they wanted to get to get lefties out.

Career against lefties: .224/.336/.321 with 120K/59BB

Career on road: 2.33 ERA with 10.5K/9, .55 HR/9

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
traded for him today. solid lefty reliever...probably marks the end for travis wood in a cubs uni

I doubt this has much to do with Wood at all. Both are lefties but that's all they got in common....Wood is a swing man and Brothers is short relief. I mean REAL short. In 286 games, he's pitched 242 innings. If he makes the team, he's there to get one or two lefties out late....and that's about it.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I doubt this has much to do with Wood at all. Both are lefties but that's all they got in common....Wood is a swing man and Brothers is short relief. I mean REAL short. In 286 games, he's pitched 242 innings. If he makes the team, he's there to get one or two lefties out late....and that's about it.

wood will be gone for $$$ reasons. they traded for brothers and have added other potential bullpen arms besides. wood and his 6mil will be gone IMO

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
wood will be gone for $$$ reasons. they traded for brothers and have added other potential bullpen arms besides. wood and his 6mil will be gone IMO

That depends if they give up anyone in trade like Hendricks.

I wouldn't mind having Wood stay for 6 million. They paid Wada last year to do nothing, and Wood was very versatile when called upon.

I think he is a good insurance policy in case of an injury, and the dude can hit also.

Nothing wrong with having too much pitching, and the Johnson's and Edward's of the world, have not proven to be that guy yet.

The Cubs have seemingly had this type of pitcher since Theo took over. He is like Carlos Villanueva.

I feel it is vital to have a guy like this, and let's face it, about the only thing they can do is have another team take him off of your hands, but that still leaves a void to take his place, and that void has never pitched with the Cubs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wood did everythin asked of him. He pitched long, short, didn't he even start a game or two?

He was a valuable guy last year.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Wood did everythin asked of him. He pitched long, short, didn't he even start a game or two?

He was a valuable guy last year.

He pitched 100 innings, started 9 games, had a 3.84 ERA, 4 saves, has had no errors in the last 2 years, and batted .100, which was just a shade below David Ross. :smug2:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He pitched 100 innings, started 9 games, had a 3.84 ERA, 4 saves, has had no errors in the last 2 years, and batted .100, which was just a shade below David Ross. :smug2:

Getting the type of numbers stated above for $6 Mil seems like a good investment to me...although, when I think of a lefty to come in and get one left handed hitter out late in a close game, the name Travis Wood doesn't come to mind. Which is why they are looking at guys like Brothers.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
you guys seem to be missing the point. does travis wood have value? absolutely. does he fit into the cubs plans at 6 mil next year? I highly doubt that. the cubs are going to be adding more payroll and will be looking to free up some $$ where they can. the fact that wood has some value just makes it all the more likely that he is gone via a trade. they can still use a guy like cahill to fill the long man/spot starter role

TL1961

Liked Posts:
you guys seem to be missing the point. does travis wood have value? absolutely. does he fit into the cubs plans at 6 mil next year? I highly doubt that. the cubs are going to be adding more payroll and will be looking to free up some $$ where they can. the fact that wood has some value just makes it all the more likely that he is gone via a trade. they can still use a guy like cahill to fill the long man/spot starter role

I am not missing that point. I said he was/is valuable. I did not say the Cubs were sure to keep him.

I am fully aware they need to shed salary somewhere in order to spend it elsewhere.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I am not missing that point. I said he was/is valuable. I did not say the Cubs were sure to keep him.

I am fully aware they need to shed salary somewhere in order to spend it elsewhere.

clearly my response was not directed towards you then

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What interesting is their bringing in SO pitchers
Someone on Chicago Sports Live said they may be doing this because of Schwarber in LF, giving him less chances..
They may look to bring in SO pitchers with whomever they add to rotation for that reason

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Someone on Chicago Sports Live said they may be doing this because of Schwarber in LF, giving him less chances..
They may look to bring in SO pitchers with whomever they add to rotation for that reason

david-price-cubs-072315-mlb-ftrjpg_y313ymnj2fe3zcrz8qrbtizr.jpg

if that's the case then he says hello :)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Doubt it has anything to do with Schwarber. Well I guess that's not entirely accurate. High K rate is just generally a sign of a good pitcher and factors largely in FIP. This front office has always been on FIP guys who didn't have as good of a year as they should(Hammel, Feldman...etc). Typically it's been guys who had high walk rates they figured to try and fix. By in large that is what these pitchers have been. And I mean it makes sense because k rate is hard to improve if you don't have stuff.