Rhys hoskins

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Cubs outbid by the brewers for one of their targets. Hoskins signed with Milwaukee for $34 mill/2 yrs with an opt out after 1 year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hoskins is pretty limited and he was deemed a lower ended 1B on D. So it becomes another Morel/Busch type that you have to figure out playing time.

Cody I get because you are getting good D. Versatility. And a bat that hits and hits for power. And will sacrifice power to put the ball where they are not

But at the right price

If it don't happen I'm okay with putting it in the farm and adding at the deadline with the excess payroll. Give the kids a chance and if they flop then utilize the resources to get it right.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So let's say they decide to not make a mega deal because Boras is a arce and is driving up the market value.

What could they do?

Corner OF is set. CF they have Tauchman and Canario. Both have fielded the position last year at the MLB level

3B Madgral has a solid glove. He is fragile and lacks power. But let it roll. As a back up Cubs have Louis Vazquez who is a plus glove with some power as a SS. Who knows this may end up as a interesting year if opportunity presents itself and a unknown takes it and runs.

1B Jed pretty much said that it is Busch's gig.

So this really points at bull pen depth and stack some cash for the deadline.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Cubs outbid by the brewers for one of their targets. Hoskins signed with Milwaukee for $34 mill/2 yrs with an opt out after 1 year
That is actually a bargain price, and for only two years, they won't have to eat a huge long term deal if it doesn't work out...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is actually a bargain price, and for only two years, they won't have to eat a huge long term deal if it doesn't work out...

16M for a DH is questionable.

I wouldn't mind putting a bet on Morel on a WAR to WAR vs Hoskins

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
16M for a DH is questionable.

I wouldn't mind putting a bet on Morel on a WAR to WAR vs Hoskins
I think when a player signs a short term contract they expect to be paid more for the risk of injury they asume. But, ya 16 million is a tone of cash for a part time player. I played enough baseball to know I would be miserable as a designated hitter, watching your teammates play the field would just kill me. I guess the 16 million would help with that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think when a player signs a short term contract they expect to be paid more for the risk of injury they asume. But, ya 16 million is a tone of cash for a part time player. I played enough baseball to know I would be miserable as a designated hitter, watching your teammates play the field would just kill me. I guess the 16 million would help with that.

Agreed. I played some 1B and CF growing up. CF was far more fun as you can make some amazing plays. I had issues with going back on the ball but going in I pulled off a few sliding grabs over the years.

Paid for it later. Going into knee surgery in a month. So it adds up

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I was a catcher through my sophomore year in HS, then a football knee injury ended that. I moved to 3rd base and relief pitcher, but on occasion I had to play first. I hated first base, but next to catcher, 3rd base was pretty good. Have a great day!

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not getting Hoskins is not the end of the world but Hoyer is just such an incredible asswipe of a GM. Apparently, more interested in a fucking manager than the players on the field.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Not getting Hoskins is not the end of the world but Hoyer is just such an incredible asswipe of a GM. Apparently, more interested in a fucking manager than the players on the field.
He might as well just start each offseason saying how cheap he is and tell the fanbase to fuck off

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He might as well just start each offseason saying how cheap he is and tell the fanbase to fuck off
But hey, maybe we can look forward to more of his "intelligent" signings.....that dumpster appears to bottomless soooo......

Seriously.....what is up with Chicago? These GM's in all the sports here are really pathetic. Poles might be the best one his record is currently at 10-24. WTF

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I certainly hope Morel is doing that for another team

From what has been said he will be a rover and DH giving days off. The DH will be a hitters day off tool vs a stationary position.

I see this as one of the issues that David ran into last year by making Morel the full time DH.

If Morel sticks to one spot then teams will expose his lacking. Moving around will benefit him and the Cubs more. Plus it gives the starter a day off as the DH that day where they can just focus on hitting.

Morel has value. He is a jack of all trades and master of none. But that has value as he has power and athleticism to play multiple spots.

I'm at the point of saying play ball. Start PCA in Iowa and let the season play out. If they are in the thick of it and most projected prospects are up add at the deadline what they need. Event if it is a vet that stabilizes a young group it helps.

Another thing is Caissie is working at 1B in Arizona right now. So Jed is really going at a volume approach ATM.

If you look at the latest top 10 list from MLB. The Cubs are on every top 10. So the farm is top 2 right now. It is not a bad thing to start tapping it.

Some lists out there has Busch in the 6-10 range for the Cubs. That is how highly they regard Cassie and Shaw.

I would think that PCA and Horton are 1-2 on everyone's board. 3-7 you could take Busch/Caissie/Alcantara/Shaw/Brown and toss their names in a hat and every draw is correct.

Last edited:

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Yes, we should bemoan not getting a guy who is known only really for power hitting and not much more who hits from the right side of the plate even though they have at least 3 players, 2 of which are lefties that the line up needs, who can provide the same results for from anywhere of 1/5 to 1/20 the price.

Oh damn that cheapskate Jed Hoyer for not spending 15M+ on a player who doesn't improve the MLB team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Caissie AA 2023: .289/.387/.469 469 AB. 76 BB/164 SO. 22 HR pretty well rounded. Moving him to 1B in Iowa is a interesting take but I get it as the bat is worth it and RF is locked up for a bit.

Alcantara: Jumped 3 levels ended up in Tenn for 5 games. I would expect Iowa later year. He needs time in Tenn.

Same with Triantos, Shaw and Ballestros. They pushed up these guys up with Horton and won the Ring there. I expect all of them to start at Tenn.

That is where they are at. So we can expect PCA and Caissie at Iowa. Thus Jed trying to find a spot and offer more options to get his bat in there. I do believe Caissie could end up as a guy that comes up and starts to force playing time as the talent is that good.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yes, we should bemoan not getting a guy who is known only really for power hitting and not much more who hits from the right side of the plate even though they have at least 3 players, 2 of which are lefties that the line up needs, who can provide the same results for from anywhere of 1/5 to 1/20 the price.

Oh damn that cheapskate Jed Hoyer for not spending 15M+ on a player who doesn't improve the MLB team.
I'm just pointing out another guy that jed was in on and a small market team signed for his expected price tag.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I'm just pointing out another guy that jed was in on and a small market team signed for his expected price tag.

Fair enough. I just think it's a bit of an over reaction when Hoskins was a back up plan at the most. Cubs have plenty of viable options at the same level and it's not as if things get desperate the Cubs could give Belt a 1 year deal.