Road to a championhip begins with...

postdiction

Liked Posts:
Okay so to win a championship you need to have a truly elite player. Not just an all-star but, a true superstar.

Having said that, I was wondering who you all believe are truly elite. Here are my criteria for elite players:

Offense: Has to be able to score even when when the defense is trying to shut him down. This encompasses Shooting, creating shots of the dribble, post moves, ability to finish at the rim, and ability to get FTs

Defense:

Clutch: The ability to take over a game in the 4th quarter. Ability to make the final shot.

Facilitator: Make the game easier for the 4 guys around you on both the offense and defense ends

Durability:
Doesn't matter how good you are if you can't stay on the floor see T-Mac and Yao

Intangibles: Dedication to winning above all else, willing to sacrifice for the team.

So looking at these categories, here is my list of elite players:

Kobe
LBJ
Wade
Howard
KG
Duncan
Dirk ... i am on the fence on him

Durant ... he isn't there yet but I strongly believe in 2 years he will be.
Rose... is it to early to tell or are you sure either way.

I am not sure about Bosh because I haven't seen him play enough maybe you have an opnion?

I did not include Amarie because, of his poor defense, injuries, and I am not sure he is a facilitator

Basically, you have to be able to win a championship with these guys being your best player

Who else makes the list? Who do we have a realistic shot at in 2010?

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
i think they don't have to have ALL that criteria. dwight in my opinion not invincible offensively, not clutch. not many players are that clutch:
kobe
wade
LBJ
dirk

those are the only clutch players on that list. big men are almost never clutch. you can't say they're not superstar because of that.

with your criteria, i think d-rose is some defense away from being the perfect ideal you've set. he's obviously the main offensive option, he can take over games, maybe not the last shot though...clearly a facilitator as a star PG. very durable. AMAZING intangibles.

postdiction

Liked Posts:
bullsman24 wrote:
i think they don't have to have ALL that criteria. dwight in my opinion not invincible offensively, not clutch. not many players are that clutch:
kobe
wade
LBJ
dirk

those are the only clutch players on that list. big men are almost never clutch. you can't say they're not superstar because of that.

with your criteria, i think d-rose is some defense away from being the perfect ideal you've set. he's obviously the main offensive option, he can take over games, maybe not the last shot though...clearly a facilitator as a star PG. very durable. AMAZING intangibles.

I agree with you completely, not every player has to have all of the criteria, those are just the things I look at when trying to figure who is a superstar. For example, LBJ isn't a good defender and neither is Dirk but, they have enough from the other categories to make them superstars.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
if d-rose isn't an all-star in the east PG race, then something's wrong with the system. ok, you have agent 0's popularity, but then who's next?
harris?
tj ford?
calderon?
rondo?

yeah, about two of those are jokes. rose should be a starter in my opinion.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
he's talking about superstars. not allstars. If rose plays well as well as plays defense, he ought to be an all star.