Robert Schmitz breaks down how wide open Mitch’s targets were against Denver

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Try to read. I was answering DaBears question which was not about the Cohen play.

Although point of correct. It is not recorded as drop when a defender grabs and pulls your hand off the ball. You are making shit up.
Jesus fucking Christ with you man. You can call it whatever the hell you want but it in everybody else’s reality he dropped the ball. Or is the NFL gonna go back and put an asterisk by Tarik’s stat line that says “6’2” 202 lb man pulled on Tarik’s arm denying him of a big catch”? Frankly nobody really gives a shit why he didn’t catch it he just didn’t catch it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jesus fucking Christ with you man. You can call it whatever the hell you want but it in everybody else’s reality he dropped the ball. Or is the NFL gonna go back and put an asterisk by Tarik’s stat line that says “6’2” 202 lb man pulled on Tarik’s arm denying him of a big catch”? Frankly nobody really gives a shit why he didn’t catch it he just didn’t catch it.

Again not everyone else. Not everyone agrees with you including the NFL. Sorry. I thought you said you weren't going to speak on this anymore. We aren't going to agree sorry. Cohen has made plenty of poor plays. This was not one of them. The defender just made a great play on the ball which he was only able to do because it was slightly underthrown. Sometimes the other guys just make great plays.

P.S. Once again that post of mine responding to DaBears was not about the Cohen play so not sure why you keep going on about the Cohen play. Please read what DaBears said. He was talking about all the WRs not named ARob.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will say this though. As it is quite clear that Trubs has limited to zero ability to use the weapons Pace drafted and signed on the premise he was accurate, Wims should basically become WR2. Probably a lot better for the offense (although not for Trubs overall development) if he can just throw shitty pass after shitty pass in the general direction of ARob and Wims and let them use their size and jumping ability to secure the catch. Assuming his inaccuracy is a long term problem and not a momentary blip like last year.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2018/all#average-separation

SMH. Tyler Gabriel averaged 3.5 yards of separation last year. Tyreek Hill averaged 3.1. In game 1, Gabriel had 3.7 yards of separation.

There is nothing wrong with Gab's ability to separate. Hill is obviously a better all around WR but he also has a QB that hits him in stride so he gets a ton of YAC.

Yall keep trying to make excuses for a QB who was drafted to be accurate and precise and who has failed in that regard.

P.S. I used Gabs as an example because don't have separation stats for RBs on next gen or at least I can't find it.

So now if you see a problem with the size of our receivers you are making excuses for the quarterback? Not me. I want the best defense and a ball control offense, we are almost there in my world. I want NFL sized receivers who can make a play like ARob. Right now two of the three main targets are 5'6 and 5'8. Cohen should be a gadget player not a primary receiver and I got no use for Gabriel.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So now if you see a problem with the size of our receivers you are making excuses for the quarterback? Not me. I want the best defense and a ball control offense, we are almost there in my world. I want NFL sized receivers who can make a play like ARob. Right now two of the three main targets are 5'6 and 5'8. Cohen should be a gadget player not a primary receiver and I got no use for Gabriel.

No your implied the issue was the other WRs were not getting separation. That is simply incorrect. Gabs gets plenty of separation. More than Hill. The QB simply can't get him the ball.

If Mitch is going to be this inaccurate then I agree we need bigger WRs. I just don't think it is fair to Miller, Gabs, and Cohen to act like it is their fault Trubs is so inaccurate right now.

This isn't an issue of their size. This is an issue of the QB drafted to utilize their particular skill sets sucks at doing so. So let's be honest about the problem. Unless you think Pace is just incompetent, he drafted and signed those guys because he thought they would fit with Trubs. He hired Nagy because he thought the KC offense that was predicated on YAC fit with Trubs.

Essentially what you are asking is to completely change the scheme and personnel to suit a currently shitty QB. That may be necessary but it won't solve the larger problem which is Trubs is currently a shitty QB.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

Our receivers could be 6'9" and Trubisky would miss them on anything over 10 yards.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Sure but in this case we have objective evidence that it does. The bigger guy was able to grab and pull the smaller guys hand down. You are talking hypotheticals when the reality is staring you in the face. The defender did not knock the ball out. He grabbed Cohen's hand as he lunged meaning Cohen's single arm had to carry the weight of the defenders body. It would be different if the defender was standing up and grabbed the hand in which case it is not the whole body weight you are fighting against.
So anytime a defender lunges at the ball as it's being pulled in by the receiver, he should always knock it out of the receivers grasp? You are being obtuse.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Average separation doesn't tell the whole story. Hill is used as a deep threat way more often than Gabriel is. Unfortunately, we use Gabriel as a check down more often than not which is always going to yield more separation as the defenses are content with giving up yards short of the first down.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
The Cohen drop is simple to dissect, Trubisky could of threw a better pass if it’s thrown another yard or so but on the move it’s not an easy throw but no excuses, he needs to make the play it’s that simple.

Same goes for Cohen, he is a punt returner and receives balls like that all day long. He has to make that play! If that was a punt he would have caught it and not let the player knock it out. He was probably thinking too much about scoring.

Three players on that play had a chance to make a play and it happened to be the defensive back. He made a play off the mistakes of the other two!

Simple

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
He was probably thinking too much about scoring.
I think this is totally the case. We've seen several instances already this year where Cohen has been looking ahead of the play and either fumbled the ball or dropped one of several passes. Maybe he's pressing the matter to make a big play, but he needs to settle in.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Average separation doesn't tell the whole story. Hill is used as a deep threat way more often than Gabriel is. Unfortunately, we use Gabriel as a check down more often than not which is always going to yield more separation as the defenses are content with giving up yards short of the first down.

This.

Gabriel has always been like this. Even going back to his Atlanta days, his separation numbers stemmed from a lot of checkdowns and lining up in the slot. His separation numbers were significantly lower lining up outside. He's also just not as good a technical receiver than Hill. If you're getting separation but you're not in the right place to receiving the pass, then you're not really doing your offense any favors.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again I ask the question is it coincidental that ARob had huge receiving stats in the playoff game with the Eagles and week one with the Packers? Why is that happening while there is NOTHING going on with any of the other potential targets?
Which should make Wims get a chance for some in game reps.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Which should make Wims get a chance for some in game reps.

I mean, just to mix it up, throw Wims and Ridley in there. Is it going to make this offense worse? Lololol.

Gabriel should be in there for gimmicky shit and for the slot. Let Miller/Wims/Ridley play some on the outside.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I mean, just to mix it up, throw Wims and Ridley in there. Is it going to make this offense worse? Lololol.

Gabriel should be in there for gimmicky shit and for the slot. Let Miller/Wims/Ridley play some on the outside.
I mean yeah, it could make the offense worse. There could be really bad communication issues between the WR and QB. Much worse than it is now. Case in point, we haven't seen Mitch throwing INTs out there a la Cutler this season yet. The grass isn't always greener...

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean yeah, it could make the offense worse. There could be really bad communication issues between the WR and QB. Much worse than it is now. Case in point, we haven't seen Mitch throwing INTs out there a la Cutler this season yet. The grass isn't always greener...

I see your point. There is risk involved. But if either Wims or Ridley became a big playmaker, that would benefit us greatly. We need something. We need someone.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
My pet theory is that he's inside his own head. Especially when you see him looking down an open target, and then getting scared to make a mistake and taking the check down. Or him getting overexcited and overthrowing. I think that's why (generally) his stats are mediocre to shitty up until the moment where he has to make some shit happen, and then just fucking plays. Outside of a few plays (e.g. that Amos interception week 1) he's been very, very good in the clutch. Fixable? I hope so. But who knows. I'm hoping that a solid performance against the Skins fixes his brane.

Yup. He's been extremely risk averse. The guy is terrified to make a mistake.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Not really considering that was a positive piece written about his improvement over time last season. I'm suspecting that you didn't actually view the entire length of the twitter thread.

Well guess what pal... you fucking suspected correctly. Didn't read shit.