Roddy White owes tickets (to a Bears fan) after Mercer upsets Duke

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
Not sure if this has been said but the Fan is a MERCER BEARS fan not a Chicago Bears fan

Roddy owes this guy some tickets!

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
He's a Bears fan...doubt he is going to want to miss Bears games, just to sit at a Falcons game

And I agree with this but again he said season tickets on the 50. This isn't about if or will he go to the game. It's about paying up on the bet in full

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
I remember Rodgers waging his year's salary on the fact that Ryan Braun was clean.

Then Braun got busted, and Rodgers said nothing of it.

Then there was also the bet on wearing a jersey between he and Alex Smith which he did not honor.

Aaron Rodgers may be one of the best QBs in the league but he also welches on bets and it 100% without honor.

JeffSpicoli

Hey bud....Let's party!!
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure if this has been said but the Fan is a MERCER BEARS fan not a Chicago Bears fan

Oh, it has been said, I think most have seen it and the conversation has evolved into a debate about what a douche Roddy is for reneging VS. was this truly a bet he needed to pay up on...still not CHICAGO Bears related though

willynowei

Liked Posts:
You're right. This wasn't exactly a bet. It was more of an agreement. Roddy White agreed to give the fan season tickets if Mercer beat Duke. Regardless of it being on twitter, it is still technically a written agreement, which can actually be upheld by law. Whether White was just speaking out of his ass makes no difference. Of course, we'd have to see the rest of the exchange to see if the fan actually agreed to the terms and whatnot. That being said, I wouldn't want Falcons season tickets, and I'd love to get tix to the 50 yard line at a Bears game.

No.

It is not a legally enforceable written agreement for reasons already stated in this thread.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, it has been said, I think most have seen it and the conversation has evolved into a debate about what a douche Roddy is for reneging VS. was this truly a bet he needed to pay up on...still not CHICAGO Bears related though

Thread Title edited, everyone happy now?

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roddy White follows through on bet
Updated: March 27, 2014, 7:43 PM ET
By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White is paying up for the Twitter bet he lost.

White, who told fan Dylan Hoyt he would give him season tickets on the 50-yard line if 14th-seeded Mercer beat third-seeded Duke in the NCAA basketball tournament, ended up following through with his promise days after Mercer upset Duke, 78-71. A team official confirmed White would present Hoyt with two seasons tickets and two Super Bowl tickets.

Hoyt also will receive pregame sideline passes to any one game and will be a guest of White's at training camp, where he'll sit in the VIP section and talk to players after practice.

White didn't want to make a big deal about the story, but it took on a life of its own after the receiver was attacked on Twitter for not following through on the bet. The team mentioned how White was willing to follow through because Hoyt was such a class act about the whole matter.

"I'm a man of integrity and definitely a man of my word, and the kid is a great kid," White told ESPN.com. "We have talked about it for days while people were just speculating. And being a father, you have to be responsible for your actions. I have always been a 'say what you do and do what you say' type of guy. And I wanted to add some incentives because he was so cool."

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Props for Roddy. Even the guy said he didn't expect anyting in return. Talk about going above and beyond what was expected, major pay it forward type move. Nice job dude.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Props for Roddy. Even the guy said he didn't expect anyting in return. Talk about going above and beyond what was expected, major pay it forward type move. Nice job dude.

He's trying to save face after a PR disaster.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Roddy White follows through on bet
Updated: March 27, 2014, 7:43 PM ET
By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White is paying up for the Twitter bet he lost.

White, who told fan Dylan Hoyt he would give him season tickets on the 50-yard line if 14th-seeded Mercer beat third-seeded Duke in the NCAA basketball tournament, ended up following through with his promise days after Mercer upset Duke, 78-71. A team official confirmed White would present Hoyt with two seasons tickets and two Super Bowl tickets.

Hoyt also will receive pregame sideline passes to any one game and will be a guest of White's at training camp, where he'll sit in the VIP section and talk to players after practice.

White didn't want to make a big deal about the story, but it took on a life of its own after the receiver was attacked on Twitter for not following through on the bet. The team mentioned how White was willing to follow through because Hoyt was such a class act about the whole matter.

"I'm a man of integrity and definitely a man of my word, and the kid is a great kid," White told ESPN.com. "We have talked about it for days while people were just speculating. And being a father, you have to be responsible for your actions. I have always been a 'say what you do and do what you say' type of guy. And I wanted to add some incentives because he was so cool."

Just goes to show how things work out if you don't act like an entitled douche about things. The fan said Roddy didn't owe him anything, was happy with just the two tickets but ended up with so much more by being nice about it.

He's trying to save face after a PR disaster.

In the grand scheme of things, this thing would have been forgotten. The fan had already said he would be happy with just the two tickets to a single game so there was little reason for White to offer more.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
This turned into a PR disaster for White and he has now turned it into a positive story with the extras he threw in. NFL AM was already saying this morning how great White is for going above and beyond on the "bet."

iBearsLX

Liked Posts:
To be fair, could he even get season tickets on the 50 yard line if he wanted to?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Isn't that technically a written agreement?

Technically, yes. But I'm willing to bet that it's against Georgia public policy to gamble, and all gambling contracts, outside those created by a licensed gaming institution, would likely be considered void due to their illegality.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Reminds me of a situation that happened when I was in college. We beat a fraternity team in a "grueling" intramural floor hockey tournament...the fraternity team thought they found out where one of our team members lived, broke into the apartment, and beat up the occupants...but they had the wrong apartment number...police were called, arrests were made, and the fraternity as a whole was mandated to perform so many hours of community service. Later on the student newspaper ran a front page article, saying how great it was that this fraternity was picking up all the trash on campus. Good stuff.

How did they not realize they were beating up the wrong person? That's crazy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't really think the fan could have done anything else. I don't think bets made over twitter after having a few are considered binding contracts in the court of law.

"Forgetting" has nothing to do with the fan. I think the entire issue is that it happened publicly over twitter (duh!). Everyone could read White's continued defiant comments. I doubt this would have been forgotten if White had not acquiesed to some type of payment.

Can you at least try to follow along? I already said repeatedly in this thread that the contract was not binding. People were acting all indignant and saying the fan should make a big deal about it so I was simply saying he was smart not to and in the end it paid off for him.

And the point was there was no PR disaster for Roddy to fix. The fan admitted it wasn't really a serious bet and was content with getting tickets to one game which Roddy had already offered. So I have no reason to believe Roddy went over and above that strictly for PR. I think as he said, he talked to the guy, appreciated the dude was classy about it and decided to reward him with more. Of course, in doing so he might get some good publicity but if the guy was a douche instead like some of the people here were suggesting then I doubt he would have bothered PR or not.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
The story says the Atlanta Falcons announced White would present the tickets. This means the Atlanta Falcons told Roddy to do this and are probably covering his bet and adding extra perks. After a horrible season the Atlanta Falcons don't want any negative pub.

Melton Moobs

Liked Posts:
So does this guy have to pay taxes on this shit now? Kinda like winning a car on the Price is Right

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So does this guy have to pay taxes on this shit now? Kinda like winning a car on the Price is Right

You can be sure someone at the IRS has already flagged his 2014 return for audit.