Rome Odunze

Dhipur

Liked Posts:
I am probably in a minority here but I think Rome was a luxury pick despite other pressing needs. Don't mistake me. He is awesome and was probably bpa..

But Bears already had Moore, Allen, Kmet and Everett for pass catching. When Falcons shocked the world by drafting Penix, Bears should have leveraged the expected QB panic run and traded down with either the Broncos (#12) or Raiders (#13) and then drafted either Latu or Turner or Murphy. Even if they did want to go offense, then they should have drafted an OT or Bowers at 12 or 13. And the extra pick or picks could have been handy in Day 2.

Added benefit would have been Vikes not getting McCarthy.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I am probably in a minority here but I think Rome was a luxury pick despite other pressing needs. Don't mistake me. He is awesome and was probably bpa..

But Bears already had Moore, Allen, Kmet and Everett for pass catching. When Falcons shocked the world by drafting Penix, Bears should have leveraged the expected QB panic run and traded down with either the Broncos (#12) or Raiders (#13) and then drafted either Latu or Turner or Murphy. Even if they did want to go offense, then they should have drafted an OT or Bowers at 12 or 13. And the extra pick or picks could have been handy in Day 2.

The Vikes getting McCarthy is actually a benefit to the Bears. He'll be a good backup somewhere after the Vikings realized they drafted a rich man's Ponder.

You might as well draft a WR for the future, Odunze gives you that. See what is out there after the draft and plan for the 2025 draft if you're the Bearsz

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It’s only a luxury if you’re short sighted. BPA and Allen is going to be 32 and is only under contract for one year. Maybe not the pick to make the bears their best selves in 2024 but it’s easily the best choice for 2025 and beyond. Plus you just have a WR two great mentors who have been doing it for years and yet another target for your rookie qb.

Allen is also injury prone so if by chance he does go down this looks even more brilliant.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Rome was the right pick. I expect Moore to be extended to coincide with Rome’s rookie contract. It will be tough (not impossible) to keep both Allen and Moore as I would prefer resources are better allocated elsewhere.

Caleb-Moore-Rome-Kmet-Swift is a very promising offensive lineup.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
They will be bitching about the offensive line this year...then want another "weapon" next year for sure.

Tale as old as time.

monkforasia

Liked Posts:
There were medical concerns with turner and latu. Also why jpj fell. He has injury concerns as well. Murphy wasn't even graded that high. Rome was the right choice.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Rome was the right pick. I expect Moore to be extended to coincide with Rome’s rookie contract. It will be tough (not impossible) to keep both Allen and Moore as I would prefer resources are better allocated elsewhere.

Caleb-Moore-Rome-Kmet-Swift is a very promising offensive lineup.
Gerald Everett seems to be left out of this discussion a lot. I think he will bring a lot of value to the group as well.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It’s only a luxury if you’re short sighted. BPA and Allen is going to be 32 and is only under contract for one year. Maybe not the pick to make the bears their best selves in 2024 but it’s easily the best choice for 2025 and beyond. Plus you just have a WR two great mentors who have been doing it for years and yet another target for your rookie qb.

Allen is also injury prone so if by chance he does go down this looks even more brilliant.
Also playing in the NFC north now I would bet 9k that Keenan Allen gets injured at some point this year, odunze’s role will expand as this happens.

Maybe the bears re up Keenan for 2 more years and then throw that money at DJ, allowing a transition to DJ / Odunze plus a cheaper option.

In theory the bears shouldn’t have to address WR for years now allowing them to prioritize other needs, and as you mentioned odunze will have top notch mentors.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I would've been fine with that, but it shook out the way it shook out, and Poles made the decision he did. I'm happy.

What's done is done, and I'm not going to complain about getting a great young receiver to grow with my new anticipated franchise quarterback.

Plus, there's honestly not any WR depth once Keenan Allen inevitably goes down again.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:

You wanted them to do a trade you have no idea was an option or not?

Are you afraid of the bears finally having a successful qb and expecting a championship in this city?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I would've been fine with that, but it shook out the way it shook out, and Poles made the decision he did. I'm happy.

What's done is done, and I'm not going to complain about getting a great young receiver to grow with my new anticipated franchise quarterback.

Plus, there's honestly not any WR depth once Keenan Allen inevitably goes down again.
But you need to hurry up and devise a plan to flush Flus

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Good news with getting Rome is it eliminates the need for potentially having to reach for a WR next year depending on what happens with Allen's contract. I would like to see them go heavy trenches next year with all of their picks in the first couple rounds.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
Good news with getting Rome is it eliminates the need for potentially having to reach for a WR next year depending on what happens with Allen's contract. I would like to see them go heavy trenches next year with all of their picks in the first couple rounds.
100%. I think this sets them up well to address both sides of the line the rest of this draft and next year’s.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
We've got Moore for three more years. Give Allen a nice 4 year deal with nice guaranteed money and an out after year 3.

Might be the best trio in the league locked up for the next three years

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They clearly like Jones so what would have been the OL move for those wanting OL at 9? I’m no Nate Davis fan but they weren’t moving on this year. Jenkins is their best OL when healthy, so ppl either want depth OL or a C reach at 9.

Clearly the league wasn’t in love with DL at that spot. They have DE1. They spent a 2nd on their 3T last season. We’re in year 3 of a complete tear down. Next year is when the depth is going to get built up. Prior to drafting Rome they were one injury away from disaster at every premium position spot.

This pick just makes the most sense and it just happens to be the one that fans also wanted.