Ronnie Stanley and Laremy Tunsil

Liked Posts:
Curious where this 'knock' is documented? Notre Dame is not exactly known as a place where dudes with 'bad work ethic' go to hang out.

With the depth and talent ND has on the OL, he would have been passed up over the years if he truly had bad work ethic. Stanley was asked in interviews about his work ethic, and that's where people get it from. Much to do about nothing.

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
Stanley has allowed 3 sacks in 2 years per College Football Focus. Tunsil 2 sacks. Stanley about a half season more games. Both will be studs in the NFL.
Clady allowed zero sacks his last year in college.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Interview with Bob Wylie on NFL radio about Stanley was pretty good. I recall him giving Stanley an A grade for stopping bull rushes and speed rushes (for those that said he couldn't handle power rushers) and said his football intelligence was elite. Knows every positions' responsibility on every play as well.

Fun fact, I played for Bob Wylie in Winnipeg.

We watched so much old Bears tape. The guy would have adopted Olin Kreutz if he was allowed. He also made a ton of fun of how fat Aaron Gibson was and how they have to throw out a ton of plays because of it.

Good coach.

Liked Posts:
I dont mind Stanley, I just hope hes not a big wuss. Didnt he decline doing the bench press at the combine or something? Hes going to have some of the baddest dudes in the league coming at him.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I'm shocked by all this love for Stanley...

Stanley is the epitome of today's college OTs. Spread offense short sets quick reads for the QB and forget any run blocking. Oh but he's a dancing Bear with long arms.

Stanley has zero physicality in his game and it shows up instantly. The second you pop on his cut ups you are instantly underwhelmed.

Even as an athlete he's not great. I hope the Bears focus on finding a better impact player rather an average LT who will struggle against elite rushers and be a liability in the run game.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Stanley is the epitome of today's college OTs. Spread offense short sets quick reads for the QB and forget any run blocking. Oh but he's a dancing Bear with long arms.

Stanley has zero physicality in his game and it shows up instantly. The second you pop on his cut ups you are instantly underwhelmed.

Even as an athlete he's not great. I hope the Bears focus on finding a better impact player rather an average LT who will struggle against elite rushers and be a liability in the run game.

The NFL is much closer to this than you think. Plus, the Bears use a lot of zone blocking so physical run blocking isn't really a prerequisite. I still think his lack of aggressiveness is overstated. He's plenty physical as a pass blocker, getting the first punch more times than not and holding his own vs. the bull rush.....though he is more of finesse player admittedly.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
Yeah maybe, but Slaus, Ramirez, Long, and Massie all are run maulers. We need a LT that protect Jay's blindside on the passing downs. It would be a good mixture, and you can always put a TE over there or chip with a RB. You're like a dog with one of those big plastic cones on your head, you simply cannot think outside the box.

Those four, Long, Massey, Ramirez, and Slaussen are exactly that, run blocking maulers, but they also do pretty good with the pass protection. Leno I thought did a pretty good job last year, and I would expect him to be as good if not more improved this coming season. I guess I'm saying that I don't think we need to draft a first round tackle this year. Now if Tunsil were to drop for some reason, I'd hope we'd jump to take him. I haven't been as up on the draft prospects this year as I have in the past, however what I've read and heard on Stanley kinda makes me hope we wouldn't take him. I could be wrong, and I likely am, but its just my take on whether we should draft him or not. I really think Leno, while not special, will be quietly a solid starting LT for us this coming season and those to come. I do hope we take a tackle somewhere around the third round, from what I've read there are some solid prospects that should land in the 3rd-4th rounds that can and should develop into pretty good starters. Honestly I hope we draft a tackle and a guard in this draft. We need somemore depth in the coming years and I'd love for us to have guys we develop and can plug in whenever guys like Ramirez and Slaussen, and even Massey have their time in chicago come to an end. I don't wanna see us signing guys like Omiyale, Ducasse, Omenah anymore. Lets develop more of our own.

We have more pressing needs and in the first I want to see us draft some kind of impact type player, someone that will be around, and play big on sundays. I'm hoping for Spence, I know he didn't test as well as he should have, but I just see a impact guy that will make plays that directly affect the outcomes of games in our favor. McPhee and Spence could be a devastating tandem pass rushing for us. I'm hoping we trade down in the first and add a 3rd rounder, and pick Spence. It would be doubly sweet if we could trade our pick, and maybe our 3rd rounder for Wilkerson and the jets first round pick, then take Spence. Two nice pieces on day one added to the defense, wow.

That said, I just don't really see LT as a big time need right now. Thats just my take on it.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The NFL is much closer to this than you think. Plus, the Bears use a lot of zone blocking so physical run blocking isn't really a prerequisite. I still think his lack of aggressiveness is overstated. He's plenty physical as a pass blocker, getting the first punch more times than not and holding his own vs. the bull rush.....though he is more of finesse player admittedly.

With the end of the cut block physical run blocking just became a must.

Liked Posts:

Go to draftbreakdown and watch Stanley's tape against UMass. Weaker competition, but it shows some really nice run block ability.

I actually rewatched like 10 of his films today just to reassure myself about him. Pass blocking is top notch. Run block shows flashes. He also gets to the second level with ease and mirrors LBs pretty easily.

My biggest knock on him is sometimes he seems lost on who to block and instead of finding someone he just holds his position.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
With the end of the cut block physical run blocking just became a must.

It's not a must when you have teams that throw 70% of the time and run zone blocking when they do run. If your LT isn't a physical run blocker, you run right (which most teams do primarily anyway), you run inside, you run plays to the left that gets your LT on the move (sweeps, tosses). Definitely not a must especially for a LT.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I'm a big fan of Ronnie Stanley. I wanted him to come out last year and he would have been my pick at #7. But I do agree with 1 sentiment that you have repeatedly had....it is definitely tough to justify taking an OT early in the draft, from a college spread offense and expecting him to lock down the LT position for years. There hasn't been a lot of success in the top 10 with OTs. Scherff was played OG. I believe Flowers led the league in sacks allowed. Greg Robinson is below average. Jake Matthews is about average. Taylor Lewan (picked 11th) is probably above average, not great. Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel have been busts so far. Lane Johnson is above average. DJ Fluker (picked 11th) has been moved to OG. Those are your top 11 OL picks in the last 3 years. Not a very good track record for a position that should be safer than a lot of other positions picked in the top of the draft.

So, while I like Stanley a lot as a player, I don't know that I'd pick him at 11. I think you're better off going for OL help in the mid rounds (3-5). The Bears have an adequate starting group right now. But need depth and development. In 2013, you had Terron Armstead drafted in the 3rd who's as good or better than all his counterparts taken in the top 11 that year. Bakhtiari is holding his own to for GB. Broncos just won the SB with Ty Sambrailo at LT (a rookie late 2nd round pick).

Because these most of these guys play in spread offenses, they all have some sort of learning curve to adjust to the NFL game. And while I love Ronnie Stanley for his footwork and great fundamentals along with actual production in pass protection....I do think there is more value in waiting for a Germain Ifedi in the 2nd, a Caleb Benonoch in the 4th, or a Fahn Cooper or Willie Beavers on the last day.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I'm a big fan of Ronnie Stanley. I wanted him to come out last year and he would have been my pick at #7. But I do agree with 1 sentiment that you have repeatedly had....it is definitely tough to justify taking an OT early in the draft, from a college spread offense and expecting him to lock down the LT position for years. There hasn't been a lot of success in the top 10 with OTs. Scherff was played OG. I believe Flowers led the league in sacks allowed. Greg Robinson is below average. Jake Matthews is about average. Taylor Lewan (picked 11th) is probably above average, not great. Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel have been busts so far. Lane Johnson is above average. DJ Fluker (picked 11th) has been moved to OG. Those are your top 11 OL picks in the last 3 years. Not a very good track record for a position that should be safer than a lot of other positions picked in the top of the draft.

So, while I like Stanley a lot as a player, I don't know that I'd pick him at 11. I think you're better off going for OL help in the mid rounds (3-5). The Bears have an adequate starting group right now. But need depth and development. In 2013, you had Terron Armstead drafted in the 3rd who's as good or better than all his counterparts taken in the top 11 that year. Bakhtiari is holding his own to for GB. Broncos just won the SB with Ty Sambrailo at LT (a rookie late 2nd round pick).

Because these most of these guys play in spread offenses, they all have some sort of learning curve to adjust to the NFL game. And while I love Ronnie Stanley for his footwork and great fundamentals along with actual production in pass protection....I do think there is more value in waiting for a Germain Ifedi in the 2nd, a Caleb Benonoch in the 4th, or a Fahn Cooper or Willie Beavers on the last day.

To me, Stanley is a better prospect than every single one of those guys you just listed. Never thought Robinson belonged going top 5.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
To me, Stanley is a better prospect than every single one of those guys you just listed. Never thought Robinson belonged going top 5.

Yeah, he might be. But that doesn't change the point about value.