Rookie Minicamp

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We'll have a few positions that will be important in the first two rounds of the draft and free agency next year.

#1 WR
#1 CB
OT
OLB--W.Young on the wrong side of 30 and P.McPhee's knee issues
S--depending on what E.Jackson and Q.Demps look like for us next year

Those seem to be the biggest needs for us next season. The list is getting shorter which is obviously a good thing.

But what is not on that list.....

QB

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If Shaheen takes Miller's job my guess is he is cut or traded.

If a team offers a real pick, I think he is traded.

I'd be fine with trading Miller if Shaheen and Simms look the part in TC and preseason which i think there's a good chance of. I'd love to get the 3rd round pick back but know we couldn't get a 3rd for Miller.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'd be fine with trading Miller if Shaheen and Simms look the part in TC and preseason which i think there's a good chance of. I'd love to get the 3rd round pick back but know we couldn't get a 3rd for Miller.

I would take a 5th without hesitation.

Older and injured vs productive and cheap

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
QB
TE
Hopefully S has come off of this last list.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The big mistake the Bears have made over the last decade is that they never have any OL developing. I cannot remember the last day 3 pick that they developed into a solid starter, outside of Leno.

You should always have at least 1 guy who you think is a starter on the roster.

I agree, fortunately Pace seems to prioritize the oline, He has taken one every year which I think should continue. I feel the same way about dline. You still conrol games in the trenches.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The big mistake the Bears have made over the last decade is that they never have any OL developing. I cannot remember the last day 3 pick that they developed into a solid starter, outside of Leno.

You should always have at least 1 guy who you think is a starter on the roster.
You make Lance Louis sad. If it wasn't for the bag of douches Jared Allen, he would have had a solid to above average career.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Yeah and people shit on Olsen because he wasn't a YAC guy and wasn't much of a blocker. He turned out to be one of the NFL's best tight ends as I said he would. The only reason it didn't hurt so damn much that he was traded was because that draft pick was used in getting Brandon Marshall and then we drafted Alshon Jeffery which I also fanboyed for since he was taken. The long game showed we fucked up in trading Olsen though.

If we were being honest, the long game showed the trade was completely irrelevant. Olsen never changed but still got his yards because he IS quick as hell and has very good hands, and the other guys did well for the Bears when here, but neither side got any closer to a Superbowl from the trade.

I will give Carolina the slight edge in that trade though only because "tell Martz I said fuck you".

What really sucks is in hindsight, I wouldn't have traded Olsen, but either way, he was consigned to a fate of not winning the big one - at least he went to a city that better made use of his talents on a team that eventually did contend. In that regard, I wouldn't say the Bears or the Panthers were winners of the trade - the winner of the trade was Olsen himself.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Tanner Gentry stood out in rookie camp and he's the best UDFA pickup according to reports. Throw him into the one to watch category this year. Maybe not a 53-man guy but as a practice squad future 53-man type for 2018 he's a name to remember at a position of need. Something like 30-percent of 53-man rosters are UDFAs so here's hoping for a hit on that kid as well.

Don't be surprised if he makes the team and gets in on the rotation. Doubt he's a superstar, but he supposedly can be a solid target who can get to where he needs to and make the catch. Could be a solid possession receiver.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I think the first 2 are off the list.

Safety would be a dream, fingers crossed.

They certainly are taking an interesting approach with it - throwing numbers at it rather than "quality" in terms of a high draft pick. Not at all criticizing this year's draft - more of a critique of how bad the last decade plus of drafts have been, and you can't fill all your gaping holes in 1 or even 3 drafts when you've been drafting that terrible for that long as an organization.

Frankly, if the Bears can come out of it with 2 players who would be a quality backup safety on a playoff team, I'd be ecstatic. Anything beyond that would be amazing, unreal, and gravy.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
One thing of note:

"At 6-6, 277 pounds, Shaheen is a bit top heavy and it's clear maintaining his balance is an area in which he needs to improve." Jeremy Stoltz

This is something I made note of as well> I thought they may have him drop a few pounds and play around 265 to get a little quicker, and at 265 that is still plenty big for the TE position

Reactions: WCL

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
TE Adam Shaheen had another very impressive showing. During the first 11-on-11 session, he ran a drag pattern and was open after clearing the far hash. Trubisky fired a pass that was a foot behind his target, yet Shaheen reached back with both hands and hauled in the pass as his feet slid out from underneath him. Great catch.

During 7-on-7 drills, Trubisky and Shaheen connected on three straight plays. The first: Shaheen ran a double move but the LB was in his hip. Trubisky's pass was just outside the outstretched arm of the defender and Shaheen was able to haul in the tough catch.

The second was a on a deep cross in which Trubisky hit Shaheen through a tight window between the two safeties. The third was on a quick out. As the play was dying, two defenders gave Shaheen a shot as he hit the sideline. Shaheen did not take kindly to the hits, shoving both players back a yard.

This is one of the things that stood out for me on his tape. He seems to play mean. He was constantly talking trash after being tackled on his highlight vid.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
If we were being honest, the long game showed the trade was completely irrelevant. Olsen never changed but still got his yards because he IS quick as hell and has very good hands, and the other guys did well for the Bears when here, but neither side got any closer to a Superbowl from the trade.

I will give Carolina the slight edge in that trade though only because "tell Martz I said fuck you".

What really sucks is in hindsight, I wouldn't have traded Olsen, but either way, he was consigned to a fate of not winning the big one - at least he went to a city that better made use of his talents on a team that eventually did contend. In that regard, I wouldn't say the Bears or the Panthers were winners of the trade - the winner of the trade was Olsen himself.

Ummm the Panthers were just in the SB 2 years ago...

Liked Posts:
Give Ryan Pace 2-3 more drafts an the Bears will be in the playoffs every year for the next 5-7 years imo.

Pace knows how to pick & find talent. I look at the undrafted guys the same way I look at our rookies. Anybody drafted 5th, 6th, or 7th round are all about the same.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I literally don't know how he could possibly be any better than he is right now. Hasn't missed a game in over 5 years, has gone over 1000 yards the last three seasons earning him 3 consecutive pro-bowls, became a better blocker, catches over 60% of his targets and that isn't even after adjusting for uncatchable passes, is his quarterback's safety net and has become one of the few elite tight ends in the league playing in Carolina. That is the definition of the long game showing we fucked up trading him.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One thing of note:

"At 6-6, 277 pounds, Shaheen is a bit top heavy and it's clear maintaining his balance is an area in which he needs to improve." Jeremy Stoltz

This is something I made note of as well> I thought they may have him drop a few pounds and play around 265 to get a little quicker, and at 265 that is still plenty big for the TE position

Was that in reference to blocking or just in general?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I literally don't know how he could possibly be any better than he is right now. Hasn't missed a game in over 5 years, has gone over 1000 yards the last three seasons earning him 3 consecutive pro-bowls, became a better blocker, catches over 60% of his targets and that isn't even after adjusting for uncatchable passes, is his quarterback's safety net and has become one of the few elite tight ends in the league playing in Carolina. That is the definition of the long game showing we fucked up trading him.

So much this. I thought the fan retardedness surrounding Olsen had finally evaporated, but I guess not completely.