Roquan was sought after by some of the best agents and he turned them all down

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok but you are implying that you know he is wrong without knowing any of the details.

I know he held out, demanded a trade with a year still on his contract and it wasn't reported the Bears even fined him at all for missing the 2 preseason games

From what we can see, what bad faith have the Bears shown?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its hard to negotiate with a layperson opposed to a professional. With a professional, there is floor of negotiations that you don't even have to talk about and that is eradicated when a layperson attempts to negotiate.

The NFLPA has agreed upon qualifications for agents. When an unqualified person tries to tiptoe around these qualifications it is always trouble. And many times the client does not even understand how unqualified their "agent" is to represent their interests.
Where are you guys getting 1% fees?

I’ve seen NFL agents % before and they sounded outrageous not reasonable.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know he held out, demanded a trade with a year still on his contract and it wasn't reported the Bears even fined him at all for missing the 2 preseason games

From what we can see, what bad faith have the Bears shown?

The contract language they tried to push off on an unrepresented pro-bowl ILB is predatory and unacceptable, putting Roquans money in the hands of video referees every week.

I don’t know why you would even want your player to have to perform under that condition. Basically playing football hard would be a risk to Roquan with that clause.

It would be a pointless clause to include if he had an agent as they would laugh at them.

My only conclusion is they wanted to piss off Roquan and he should be pissed and look elsewhere.

oso4lyf

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
I am 99.9999% time on the players side during negotiations. Get what you can because the team will spit you out when they're done chewing you up.

But this dude has turned in to a giant headache. For the first time since hired, I'm happy with what Poles is doing. Do NOT make this the guy the highest paid ILB in the NFL. Open the pocket book on offense!

If the "best player on the Bears" is an off the ball LB that gobbles up tackle numbers, then that explains why they're in the shape they're in. Way too many much more important holes to fill and other player contracts expiring to give Smith $20+ mill a year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am 99.9999% time on the players side during negotiations. Get what you can because the team will spit you out when they're done chewing you up.

But this dude has turned in to a giant headache. For the first time since hired, I'm happy with what Poles is doing. Do NOT make this the guy the highest paid ILB in the NFL. Open the pocket book on offense!

If the "best player on the Bears" is an off the ball LB that gobbles up tackle numbers, then that explains why they're in the shape they're in. Way too many much more important holes to fill and other player contracts expiring to give Smith $20+ mill a year.

OK if you dont want to pay him because he is an ILB then then the problem is not that he is a giant headache. It is thay yoy have decided you dont want to pay market value for a player amd you expect him to suck it up and be happy about it.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Where are you guys getting 1% fees?

I’ve seen NFL agents % before and they sounded outrageous not reasonable.
From actually reading, you know... what is actually known.

The contract language they tried to push off on an unrepresented pro-bowl ILB is predatory and unacceptable, putting Roquans money in the hands of video referees every week.

I don’t know why you would even want your player to have to perform under that condition. Basically playing football hard would be a risk to Roquan with that clause.

It would be a pointless clause to include if he had an agent as they would laugh at them.

My only conclusion is they wanted to piss off Roquan and he should be pissed and look elsewhere.
A) Not a probowl linebacker
B) 1-3% is outrageous to pay an agent yet the gravitas of their mere presence would have prevented even the attempt by that Bears to include clauses the are untenable, which would have prevented the feeling of disrespect and made a acceptable conclusion for both parties more likely? Sounds kinda worth 1% to me.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wait, so Omnipants got a job?

Smith is a headcase.
I'm over this narrative that 'Smith is a headcase.' Why? Because he is going to get one big contract in his career so he wants as much money as possible? If anyone of us were in this situation we would do the same. This doesn't make him a headcase.

My personal belief is Smith thought he could get a deal done himself because him and the Bears have always been on solid footing. He's been a productive player and was a high draft pick. And in his defense, if Pace was still here, Smith would have received what he wanted most likely.

Insert Poles who came in, played hardball and doesn't know Roquan. Poles is likely being selective before handing out his first big contract. Anybody in a new job wants to 'prove themselves' and handing out a 100M contract right off the bat would probable make him seem like a doormat.

oso4lyf

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
OK if you dont want to pay him because he is an ILB then then the problem is not that he is a giant headache. It is thay yoy have decided you dont want to pay market value for a player amd you expect him to suck it up and be happy about it.
I'm not saying suck it up and be happy. I'm perfectly content trading him for draft stock. He could be happy on another team for all I care.

I don't want to give record breaking contracts to a position that equates to tackling someone after the LOS.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
From actually reading, you know... what is actually known.

A) Not a probowl linebacker
B) 1-3% is outrageous to pay an agent yet the gravitas of their mere presence would have prevented even the attempt by that Bears to include clauses the are untenable, which would have prevented the feeling of disrespect and made a acceptable conclusion for both parties more likely? Sounds kinda worth 1% to me.

Quan had an agent when Bears wanted to void his gurarantees for suspensions related to H2H hits. So an agent doesnt guarantee anything.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying suck it up and be happy. I'm perfectly content trading him for draft stock. He could be happy on another team for all I care.

I don't want to give record breaking contracts to a position that equates to tackling someone after the LOS.

My point is if you dont want to pay him because you dont think an ILB is worth it that does not make him a giant headcase.

You havent really explained what makes him a head case beyond he has a higher valuation of himself than the Bears do.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Roquan was more pissed of about the deescalators and it being back loaded. The total of the deal from everything I have heard was quite generous. That combined with Roquan not being able to handle negative things being said about him is what killed these negotiations. No doubt that with an agent this would have gotten done.
LOL

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Quan had an agent when Bears wanted to void his gurarantees for suspensions related to H2H hits. So an agent doesnt guarantee anything.
That was not my statement but Rask's, "It would be a pointless clause to include if he had an agent as they would laugh at them," that I was repeating to point out that, if true, would easily be worth 1%.
But nonetheless, it was worked through by the team and agent, they came to an agreement, a contract got done, and everyone was happy, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That was not my statement but Rask's, "It would be a pointless clause to include if he had an agent as they would laugh at them," that I was repeating to point out that, if true, would easily be worth 1%.
But nonetheless, it was worked through by the team and agent, they came to an agreement, a contract got done, and everyone was happy, if I am not mistaken.

Yeah missed the question mark when I read your response the first time.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
"One league source"
I couldn't put any weight into that.
If Saint Omni closed the deal without incident there would be less suspicion. But even Poles has publicly questioned how this "agent" has handled things. It's hard to believe people support unqualified handling of a sports deal.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
All that being said I think if they could reach a deal Roquan would take care of business on the field. I do not doubt his willingness to play hard.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:

In an offensive league...............

Clearly he's not asking for market value. He's asking for above market value because HIS value in his mind is not what the Bears or the rest of the league at this point think it is.

Stories/articles, from admittedly ANONYMOUS sources, say that teams aren't really willing to give up assets to trade for a guy that plays a non premium position then sign him to big money. Not worth it in today's NFL.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
In an offensive league...............

Clearly he's not asking for market value. He's asking for above market value because HIS value in his mind is not what the Bears or the rest of the league at this point think it is.

Stories/articles, from admittedly ANONYMOUS sources, say that teams aren't really willing to give up assets to trade for a guy that plays a non premium position then sign him to big money. Not worth it in today's NFL.
I agree with this completely. Obviously the team’s idea and Quan’s idea of what is ‘’market value” were different. Happens all the time.

If he can more $ than Leonard, more power to him. No way in hell I would pay him that.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok so sports agents typically make 5-15% of player contracts and 10-20% of endorsements.

Except the NFL capped the allowable fee at 3%. The NBA at 4%.

NFL players pay 3% for big agencies and top agents. But you sounded so certain and sure of yourself without any merit. Typical CCS propagandist. Winning is prerogative over truth for the simple minded.

@remydat @iueyedoc