Rose and Gordon - Does it work?

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="215395" data-time="1385501263">
<div>

Oh I know, it's stupid reasoning. Doesn't hold up whatsoever.  You're preaching to the choir here with me. I'm just telling you what their text book response is for that.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

(I actually have no stake or opinion :) )</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
lol I don't have a real  "stake" in it either, but what's right is right. If this is what it takes to change the league, then so be it. I have to root for this over someone getting killed, because that's the only real other precedent for change in the NHL.</p>

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I wonder how many of these guys played without helmets?</p>

jaxhawksfan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="215368" data-time="1385494848">
<div>

I will play devil's advocate...</p>

</p>

Why should it matter who it is or how many games or points they have played? A work related injury is a work related injury. If I lose a finger on a job day 1, why am I not equally as covered as the veteran of 10 years who also lost a finger?</p>

</p>

The vast majority of players will not come forward as to not interfere with their careers in hockey or if they are receiving any benefits from hockey, which is a very small world. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

How long they played doesn't matter.  You are correct.  However, legally you have a limited amount of time to file a "workers comp" claim with your company and you must immediately notify your supervisor in the case of said injury.  You can't just decide to sue your former company 30 years later.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jaxhawksfan" data-cid="215434" data-time="1385508872">
<div>

How long they played doesn't matter.  You are correct.  However, legally you have a limited amount of time to file a "workers comp" claim with your company and you must immediately notify your supervisor in the case of said injury.  You can't just decide to sue your former company 30 years later.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Precisely. </p>

</p>

Only Eric Lindros has a real case as far as I'm concerned. </p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jaxhawksfan" data-cid="215434" data-time="1385508872">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

As it gets into law that I really dont know about. For general worker comp, Illinois has a 1 year statute of limitations. I did find reference to some legal info in reference to long term or unrealized job related injury, but it seems to fall under disability deputes instead. </p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'm surprised they only had 10 players out of the 100s to play be part of this suit. No Primeau's Lindros's, Lafontaine, Grimson, or Billy Bob.

(Insert Variables rant on stigma of "they knew what they were getting into")

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Didn't think about Primeau, Grimson, or LaFontaine either. Good mentions. </p>

</p>

I'd think if this was more about the recent game like 90s or so, even that should have been brought up 10 years ago or so. Question is, when is it a good idea to file a lawsuit like this? </p>

</p>

Hell, we could ask Grimson who is an attorney now.... lol yet he actually isn't a plaintiff in this lawsuit. Maybe there really isn't a case?</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'm assuming the case was brought in front of the players and once they saw it, they backed away. Primeau who is a huge spokesman for concussion prevention isn't part of this, so I'm sure he felt like it was a wasted effort.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="215388" data-time="1385499781">
<div>

That's going to fall under the classic and flawed "They knew the risks" argument.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

NHL players without a doubt sign paperwork that will legally protect the NHL with this argument. 30 years later to boot, this case has little merit. Players are compensated and get to play a sport for a living, all ten guys in this suit, I am willing to bet their NHL playing days were their greatest and most cherished days on earth. The arguments bringing up the everyday office, mechanic, etc job are not very applicable since the time gap is so great. Currently players are provided with world class care. </p>

</p>

When players are under contract, just like any of us everyday working people, the employer provides them with care, benefits and pays for it, in their case the greatest care the world has to offer. Now if I quit my job, just as any other person, the contract I hold with my company would then be a moot point, medical, dental, other benefits are gone.</p>

</p>

Now how on earth is the NHL supposed to pay up to these guys decades later? </p>

</p>

So in response to Count Dante "Deadliest Man," just as the Red Bull team would have coverage of their injuries, current NHL players have coverage. If the Red Bull divers went on to quit years later, I do not see a situation where they would be getting paid a dime unless previously set up that way. </p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="215518" data-time="1385570419">
<div>

I'm assuming the case was brought in front of the players and once they saw it, they backed away. Primeau who is a huge spokesman for concussion prevention isn't part of this, so I'm sure he felt like it was a wasted effort.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I would too. It really has no merit, to be honest....</p>

</p>

I never knew Primeau (I'm assuming Keith and not Wayne, right?) was actually a spokesman for concussion prevention. Great knowledge of that, Trev, and it certainly weighs a lot of merit on this case. If he's not a plaintiff as Lindros isn't, then really this case has no merit. </p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before you disagree... perhaps you should think about THIS!</p>

</p>

1975DetectiveComics450Dante.jpg
</p>

</p>

</p>

I CAN SMELL YOUR FEAR FROM HERE!!! MUUUUHAHAHAHAH</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I thought rule #1 of the Black Dragon Fighting Society was ... never to talk about the Black Dragon Fighting Society....</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="215543" data-time="1385575501">
<div>

I thought rule #1 of the Black Dragon Fighting Society was ... never to talk about the Black Dragon Fighting Society....</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Until you get your buddies killed in your CHICAGO DOJO NINJA-FU Drug and Booze fueled death...</p>

</p>

suntimedojowar.jpg
</p>

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
some of the guys on that list just scream of "I want a pay day".  Seriously, under 20 games in the NHL and you are blaming them for all your problems?</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="215465" data-time="1385544113">
<div>

Precisely. </p>

</p>

Only Eric Lindros has a real case as far as I'm concerned. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

But how many Eric Lindros like cases were there? We only know about him because he was brave enough to come out in the public and talk about it, and look where it got him (at that time). Publicly ridiculed by the hockey community. You have to believe there were some players that would think twice before doing something like that watching how Lindros, a star player, was treated during that time and how he was seen for years afterwards.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="215603" data-time="1385629857">
<div>

But how many Eric Lindros like cases were there? We only know about him because he was brave enough to come out in the public and talk about it, and look where it got him (at that time). Publicly ridiculed by the hockey community. You have to believe there were some players that would think twice before doing something like that watching how Lindros, a star player, was treated during that time and how he was seen for years afterwards.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Its a valid point. </p>

</p>

However, if it wasn't for him speaking out about the issues, we likely wouldn't have advanced in the sport when it comes to the safety of the players. He was a martyr of the game in a sense. 

</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
It didn't change anything when he did it. He only just recently was "validated" in doing what he did, only now when there is overwhelming scientific evidence on his side. Back then the fall out over Lindros and him being outcast just reinforced the stereotype of being "tough" and not complaining. That they better not say anything, because look what happened to Lindros.  And even now you still got some people who disagree with him. He SHOULD have been validated back then, it SHOULD have started a change, but this is the NHL you're talking about.</p>

</p>

And that is why I don't care if some of these players are just in it for a quick pay day or it's just opportunism or greed for some of them or whatever people want to call it. It is better than the alternative. Because the alternative, the only other real precedent for change in the NHL when it comes to improving and elevating their standards of safety is more often than not a tragedy. Either someone getting seriously injured or killed. If this lawsuit forces their hand on re-thinking how they deal with things like head shots, fighting, suspension lengths, the overall culture of the game, then I'm all for it. Better to have it done in this way then to wait for something even worse to happen.</p>