Rumors Keep Rollin' In

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll say this. If the Cubs get rid of Soriano, Fukudome and Ramirez, I'll start to watch them and actively root for them again. I just have never liked those guys. I used to really dislike big Z, but he's grown on me.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
our manager was good at his job at one time. I never once said he was bad his entire career. Things started to erupt with me last year with the mark kotsay love, rotating DH, and linebrink lust.
Doesn't change that fact that just because you have a ring doesn't mean that you are good at your job. The team that won was pretty mediocre outside of amazing pitchers (Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Wilson) all of whom were drafted by the Giants. Most of the major moves Sabean has made have been pretty damn terrible (Zito, Rowand). If it wasn't for a good scouting director and director of player development, Sabean would have been gone a long time ago.

Rick

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't want Koyie Hill on my softball team

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Brewers made a run at Wood before they traded for K-Rod. The Cubs say Wood is not available.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Makes sense that the Brewers would want Wood, but I don't know why we would trade him to the Brewers since Melvin has torched that farm system to get Greinke and Marcum. I would have to imagine that the Cubs asked Wood if he wanted to go because this is actually a decent setup we have. Trade Wood for prospects to whatever contender wants him, and then he comes back the next year on a team friendly deal. Repeat the cycle again next year.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Makes sense that the Brewers would want Wood, but I don't know why we would trade him to the Brewers since Melvin has torched that farm system to get Greinke and Marcum. I would have to imagine that the Cubs asked Wood if he wanted to go because this is actually a decent setup we have. Trade Wood for prospects to whatever contender wants him, and then he comes back the next year on a team friendly deal. Repeat the cycle again next year.

That would be the best scenario but I don't see that happening.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
No I am mostly kidding because why would Wood want to move every year like that. I am glad he is on the Cubs, and he has clearly made his priority to stay in Chicago with the deal he signed. I can't imagine the Cubs would let him go for very little given the fact that he makes nothing for a guy signed as a free agent reliever. That is why a lot of teams will be after Wood, but it probably won't happen because Wood doesn't want to leave.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah true. Just sign him to a 6 year contract worth 5MM. :)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Wood is fine with 1 year deals, then I am fine with 1 year deals. It allows the possibility for him to spend the second half with a chance to get a ring and help the Cubs get better down the road. Then he can come back in the offseason.

Either way waiting to hear what Jim Hendry is going to do is far more exciting than any possible outcome on the field right now.

marky mark

Liked Posts:
I was listening to the Waddle and Silvi show the other day and heard rumors of Pit wanting Byrd. Apparently they want a guy who wont be a one year player but a man to almost "lead" the PIT offense.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
If Wood is fine with 1 year deals, then I am fine with 1 year deals. It allows the possibility for him to spend the second half with a chance to get a ring and help the Cubs get better down the road. Then he can come back in the offseason.

Either way waiting to hear what Jim Hendry is going to do is far more exciting than any possible outcome on the field right now.

Sadly, there should be more rumors now. The D'backs want a 1B badly and are now looking at options in their minors and they really don't have any. JH needs to wake up to reality and start dealing soon.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am confused why Byrd would be that guy for Pittsburgh. I mean I know Tabata has been underperforming, but Byrd goes from slightly above average offensively to slightly below average offensively if you move from center to a corner spot.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I was listening to the Waddle and Silvi show the other day and heard rumors of Pit wanting Byrd. Apparently they want a guy who wont be a one year player but a man to almost "lead" the PIT offense.

That's completely try. Pitt does not want a rental and a player that can help beyond this year. He's also cheap and I bet the Cubs can get an OK-good return for him. 1 contract the Cubs shouldn't have to chip in money.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since the Pirates have been an interesting topic as late, I went and found this interview from the owner of the Pirates. It has two important tidbits as far as the Cubs are concerned:

›› He sounded not just willing but also eager to add to the team's still-too-low $47 million payroll via trade, viewing this group as being genuinely capable of taking the Central Division.

"That's what we're talking about: How do you make that run?" Nutting said. "We're just a couple games out, close to the All-Star break. It's a great opportunity. And we aren't going to make decisions based on restrictions of financing. We're absolutely in that position where Neal can, right now, be out there aggressively looking at options. He needs to do that."
Seems pretty clear that the owner views the team as buyers, and is willing to take on payroll. This is the good news in the article. Means that the Cubs have a possible trade partner.

He all but instructed his baseball men not to part with any of the team's handful of elite prospects, even though it would be the cheapest route. Outfielder Starling Marte, for example, cost only an $85,000 signing bonus but could net quite the return.

"One thing we won't do is mortgage the future of the club ever again," Nutting said. "Neal's going to need to make decisions that are good for the long term of the Pittsburgh Pirates and be able to make sure we're playing important games this September but also next September and the year after that."

And that is the bad news. I didn't really hold out much hope to get Starlin Marte or James Taillon by trading Carlos Pena, Aramis Ramirez, or Marlon Byrd. I am worried that Pittsburgh views its biggest trade chip is just taking on salary, and I am hoping the Cubs aren't just looking to dump salary on productive players like Pena, Ramirez, and Byrd.

Here is the full article.

Last edited:

AceCubbie

Liked Posts:
Very good points; but if all the Cubs can do is dump salary with some of these guys, maybe it's still the right move. I hate the idea of the payroll contracting again next year, but if it's going to happen, having more to play with under the budget can only help. It also provides a little more money for draft bonuses and international signings.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Tigers have no interest in pitcher Ryan Dempster.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Red Sox can't get a big time right bat, they could switch their attention to Jeff Baker.

The Pirates are expected to make a run at Carlos Pena but the Cubs will have to chip in some salary. So, the Pirates will have to trade a good prospect.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never would have thought the pirates would be wanting to buy from the cubs. baseball is a weird game.