Rumors of Phins trading up to 6 for Mayfield.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I don't totally agree but read that pro personnel expected a better 40 time at the combine and that his 31" vertical was a red flag.

This

Not athletic enough to play outside corner.

If we were missing a safety i could see him as a nice ss pair with Jackson but at this point he's like ward....a somewhat flawed player drafted at #8 without a position to immediately slide into

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would love to move down in the draft I would go down into the 20s for the right offer.

There is only 1 OLB that I think is a no doubt top 10 guy and that is Chubb.

We could move down and address OG, ILB, RT, OLB with a bunch of picks and see what the coaches can do.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I would love to move down in the draft I would go down into the 20s for the right offer.

There is only 1 OLB that I think is a no doubt top 10 guy and that is Chubb.

We could move down and address OG, ILB, RT, OLB with a bunch of picks and see what the coaches can do.

We need a difference maker. This team has few real difference makers. We are in position to get one and we hope not to pick this high again for a longtime. So now is the best time to try for a home run IMO.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We need a difference maker. This team has few real difference makers. We are in position to get one and we hope not to pick this high again for a longtime. So now is the best time to try for a home run IMO.

If you are reaching on someone being a difference maker does it really make them worthy of a top 10 Pick?

I don’t think we have any shot at Chubb. Davenport and Edmunds are far from sure things.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Agreed. But one thing to consider is that the Bears still have like 25 roster spots to fill. I do think Pace will stay put and take his guy at 8 as he's never traded down with 3 previous top 11 picks. But after only 5 picks last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see a quantity approach from rounds 2-7.

PickSix

Liked Posts:

Agreed. We need top end talents. Trying to fill all of our holes in this one draft is the wrong route. It will take this year and next at a minimum. Maybe even one after that. Adding handfulls of average talent to an already young team isn’t the right recipe.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
If you are reaching on someone being a difference maker does it really make them worthy of a top 10 Pick?

I don’t think we have any shot at Chubb. Davenport and Edmunds are far from sure things.

We can get a very high upside guy even if not a sure thing. Our staff will give us a good chance at developing someone. My hang up is I don't think well be in draft range in the future for a top 10 pick. That would mean using multiple picks later to move up. I would rather take the chance now with a single pick.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
If you like Nelson at #8 four QB's plus Chubb and Barkley have to go in top 6 that means Nelson at 7 or 8, with the hope that TB takes the fastest rising DB in Derwin James. If Nelson is gone we get the second best defensive player in this draft, a win, win anyway you look at it.

Gaucho

Liked Posts:
So do you want a real difference maker or do you want Nelson? They aren’t the same.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

Fitzpatrick, James, Ward.

Crazy how last year there were people (not you) clamoring for a god damn safety at pick number 4 in the draft. Now we are scoffing at the idea of drafting a a DB at 8 overall. Lmao.

Ward is arguably the 4th best prospect in the draft and he could be sitting there at pick 8 but people don’t want him because he’s an inch or 2 too short and amukamara is on a 3 year deal like that even matters.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Just for the record, put me down as one who would not steer away from a DB in the draft because of what we have.

I am not upset with what we have. I just think we could use another guy and would not shy away from one who mat be BPA simply because we re-signed Fuller or Amukamara. In today's NFL, and in a division with Rodgers, Stafford and Cousins, we will see a lot of passing, and if Pace decides to go DB at #8 I wont be too upset.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
So do you want a real difference maker or do you want Nelson? They aren’t the same.

How is Nelson not a difference maker? A great oline guy that protects the QB is a difference maker in my book. Football starts on the lines. Any player that can start day one and makes us better for the next ten years qualifies as a difference maker to me. Nelson is 100% that for me.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nelson is one of the top 3, no worse than top 5, players in this draft. He IS a difference maker. Not only keeping Trubisky safe up the middle, but a big influence on the run game. May not be "sexy," but a good, safe pick IMO. High floor, high ceiling.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How is Nelson not a difference maker? A great oline guy that protects the QB is a difference maker in my book. Football starts on the lines. Any player that can start day one and makes us better for the next ten years qualifies as a difference maker to me. Nelson is 100% that for me.

No shit. A guy that is going to protect the QB and blow open holes in the running game for the next 10 years is, indeed, a difference maker. Just isn’t flashy or glamorous.

baredown

Liked Posts:

"Reach" is the wrong word. With players like Edmunds or Davenport, the term would be "accepting higher risk", not "reaching". Edmunds is going to go in the top 10; Davenport will probably do so as well. Other teams with top 12 picks are going to be willing accept the higher risk on those guys, based on their higher potential to develop into a difference maker type. You're not reaching if you take players around where they'd end up going in the draft anyway. You're reaching if you take a player that would end up going much lower if you didn't happen to take him. Ridley at #8 would be a reach...

Many posters here are clearly risk-averse when it comes to high draft choices. They want the high floor guy that can play right away. But others are willing to take on risk, as well as longer development time, if the potential ceiling is really high. Smart money would say that Pace's thinking aligns with the latter.

My vote, for what little it's worth, would be Edmunds, then Davenport, and then Ward, assuming Barkley, Chubb, and at least 3 QBs are gone...