Ryan Braun tests positive for performance enhancing drug

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
http://www.nj.com/sp...sitive_for.html

Ryan Braun tests positive for performance-enhancing drug, report says

Ryan Braun, who won the National League MVP and led the Milwaukee Brewers to their first division title in nearly 30 years, has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug, according to a report by ESPN.com.

Braun faces a 50-game suspension if the finding is upheld, the report says.​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Major League Baseball has not announced the news because Braun is disputing the result through arbitration, the report says.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program," a spokesman for Braun said in a statement today. "While Ryan has impeccable character and no previous history, unfortunately, because of the process we have to maintain confidentiality and are not able to discuss it any further, but we are confident he will ultimately be exonerated."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Braun had to provide a urine sample for testing during the playoffs. He was notified on the positive test in late October, the report says.[/font]

Braun won the MVP after posting a .332 batting average, 111 RBI, 109 runs and 33 home runs. He finished second to the Mets' Jose Reyes in the NL batting race and led the Brewers to their first division crown since 1982.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DruxH7jXgrM

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
So when do the results for Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols come out?

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bud has ties to the Brewers, I will be watching this one closely to see if Braun becomes the first to win a PED arbitration.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
They say they have a good explanation and the second test came back clean, will be interesting. Dumb that we haven't heard anything more.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They say they have a good explanation and the second test came back clean, will be interesting. Dumb that we haven't heard anything more.

How soon was the second test taken after the first one?

The bottom line is the first test read testosterone levels at a count that cannot be produced naturally.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
How soon was the second test taken after the first one?

The bottom line is the first test read testosterone levels at a count that cannot be produced naturally.
Not sure of the exact time frame or how long it takes to leave the body but they said that he was given the test sometime during the playoffs and he was notified in late october of his positive test, to which he immediately demanded a retest.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have they released what he tested positvie for? Was it an elevated testosterone or positive for a masking agent? If it was testosterone and he was in a doping cycle he could have a way elevated test and ratio and have it fall to normal levels 2 weeks later. Also DHEA which is legal for MLB players can cause a mld testosterone elavations, but its ruled out as a cause during the drug testing by a specific test they do.

If it was a hugely positive testosterone level he's toast. No way to explain that away, though he will come up with a million and one excuses because there is so much at stake for him personally.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So when do the results for Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols come out?

I've always had doubts about Pujols.

But could'nt Fielder have gotten the good hitting genes from his daddy or did they both cheat?

Watching Cecil Fielder play back in the day, he looked like a natural power hitter. Plus I'm not sure HGH,( Do we know thats what Braun allegedly used it seems to be the best PED these days) was around when Cecil played

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Have they released what he tested positvie for? Was it an elevated testosterone or positive for a masking agent? If it was testosterone and he was in a doping cycle he could have a way elevated test and ratio and have it fall to normal levels 2 weeks later. Also DHEA which is legal for MLB players can cause a mld testosterone elavations, but its ruled out as a cause during the drug testing by a specific test they do.

If it was a hugely positive testosterone level he's toast. No way to explain that away, though he will come up with a million and one excuses because there is so much at stake for him personally.
Don't quote me on this, but from what I read he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone vs epitestosterone or whatever it is called. Supposedly 4-1 ratio is the baseline for a failed test. They also then too the sample and sent it in for another test to see if it was a naturally orccuring or out of body spike. It was determined that the spike was a result of something external to the body but they didn't say how large the ratio of testosterone was, or any determination of what the external factor was, i.e. doping, pills, poppyseeds. wait wrong test, anyway. The only thing that has really been determined is that he took a test sometime between Oct. 1st and 16th. Failed, was notified between Oct. 17th and 31st. (Late Oct. they said). Immediately requested a new test and passed. No time frame on when the new test was given compared to the previous test. His levels were at least 4-1 and were caused by an unidentified external factor.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't quote me on this, but from what I read he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone vs epitestosterone or whatever it is called. Supposedly 4-1 ratio is the baseline for a failed test. They also then too the sample and sent it in for another test to see if it was a naturally orccuring or out of body spike. It was determined that the spike was a result of something external to the body but they didn't say how large the ratio of testosterone was, or any determination of what the external factor was, i.e. doping, pills, poppyseeds. wait wrong test, anyway. The only thing that has really been determined is that he took a test sometime between Oct. 1st and 16th. Failed, was notified between Oct. 17th and 31st. (Late Oct. they said). Immediately requested a new test and passed. No time frame on when the new test was given compared to the previous test. His levels were at least 4-1 and were caused by an unidentified external factor.

I think we read the same article, which was based on un-named sources and speculation IMO. Don't know that MLB or the player union will release specific info. If his suspesion is upheld I'd consider him guilty as charged.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we read the same article, which was based on un-named sources and speculation IMO. Don't know that MLB or the player union will release specific info. If his suspesion is upheld I'd consider him guilty as charged.

It has been reported Braun's levels were the highest ever found since testing and no one has ever won an appeal for positive results.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I've always had doubts about Pujols.

When you get trained by Mark McGwire, one should always have their doubts heightened.

But could'nt Fielder have gotten the good hitting genes from his daddy or did they both cheat?

Watching Cecil Fielder play back in the day, he looked like a natural power hitter. Plus I'm not sure HGH,( Do we know thats what Braun allegedly used it seems to be the best PED these days) was around when Cecil played

Oh it was around. How else could McGwire or Canseco have had access to it? Even Canseco admitted to using it during his days as an Oakland Athletic.

But, knowing that Cecil was as big as Prince is now, it makes me think that maybe he didn't.... But the fact of the matter is that we're in an era where everyone is "branded" for it if they're a home run hitter. I expect the accusations of Prince to continue so long as he continues to put up good numbers.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
When you get trained by Mark McGwire, one should always have their doubts heightened.

Oh it was around. How else could McGwire or Canseco have had access to it? Even Canseco admitted to using it during his days as an Oakland Athletic.

But, knowing that Cecil was as big as Prince is now, it makes me think that maybe he didn't.... But the fact of the matter is that we're in an era where everyone is "branded" for it if they're a home run hitter. I expect the accusations of Prince to continue so long as he continues to put up good numbers.

not to mention Bautista has had 19 tests in the last season.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
It's probably all the media's fault.  Like their writing about Rose not playing</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just stop testing altogether.</p>

</p>

Does anyone still think professional (hell amateur too) do NOT take performance enhancing drugs?</p>

</p>

You dont want to come out and endorse them? Fine, just stop testing for em.</p>

</p>

And let the athlete's reach the potential they want to reach.</p>

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
And professional sports should not be responsible for any insurance during or after their playing days.</p>

</p>

Do the drugs you want...at your own risk. But  arent steroids illegal to purchase?</p>

</p>

They should let players pull out guns and shoot opposing players as well as they are rounding bases.  I mean, I'm sure it's not listed specifically as illegal in baseball, so it should be allowed.</p>

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When the bucks are a big as in sports, and the competition is tight, hell yea many if not most or all are taking something. I just consider it a level playing field in that case.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pmxcodano" data-cid="207070" data-time="1374690368">
<div>

And professional sports should not be responsible for any insurance during or after their playing days.</p>

</p>

Do the drugs you want...at your own risk. But  arent steroids illegal to purchase?</p>

</p>

They should let players pull out guns and shoot opposing players as well as they are rounding bases.  I mean, I'm sure it's not listed specifically as illegal in baseball, so it should be allowed.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Bold 1: Dont understand the point you are driving at.</p>

</p>

Bold 2: Yes, most are illegal. Testing does not deter or stop the use, nor will it. Why bother testing?</p>

</p>

Bold 3: As it is another in a list of ridiculous comparisons you enjoy, I will answer in turn... Yes, until it is in the rule books, baseball players should be allowed to shoot opposing players. It would make the game more interesting to be sure.</p>