Ryan Braun tests positive for performance enhancing drug

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Count Dante" data-cid="207063" data-time="1374682790">
<div>

Just stop testing altogether.</p>

</p>

Does anyone still think professional (hell amateur too) do NOT take performance enhancing drugs?</p>

</p>

You dont want to come out and endorse them? Fine, just stop testing for em.</p>

</p>

And let the athlete's reach the potential they want to reach.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

In general, it's always been looked at more harshly in baseball than in other sports. Mostly because of the records and numbers and all that. I'm kinda split on it, I definitely can understand, and lean more toward,  the argument that PEDs can be looked at as part of sports, that it simply has become or has been a part of the competition and that's how it should be seen as, instead of going on witch hunts. But at the same time, I can see why the leagues would do that, why they would look at it that way, even if they turned a blind eye to it as they have in the past. Not necessarily for player safety as much as it is for image. I mean, when Bud Sellig says things like there has only been X amount of positive cases, he says like it's a ringing endorsement of the system working, while anyone with a brain can see it's the opposite.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Biscuitinthebasketodano" data-cid="207072" data-time="1374691216">
<div>

When the bucks are a big as in sports, and the competition is tight, hell yea many if not most or all are taking something. I just consider it a level playing field in that case.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

It is how I see it as well. There is no drug, no shot, no powder, or pill I can take to hit 50 homeruns a year. There are those that use, and those that get caught. If you are an important enough athlete, they will even change the rules for you when you are caught.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="207074" data-time="1374691397">
<div>

In general, it's always been looked at more harshly in baseball than in other sports. Mostly because of the records and numbers and all that. I'm kinda split on it, I definitely can understand, and lean more toward,  the argument that PEDs can be looked at as part of sports, that it simply has become or has been a part of the competition and that's how it should be seen as, instead of going on witch hunts. But at the same time, I can see why the leagues would do that, why they would look at it that way, even if they turned a blind eye to it as they have in the past. Not necessarily for player safety as much as it is for image. I mean, when Bud Sellig says things like there has only been X amount of positive cases, he says like it's a ringing endorsement of the system working, while anyone with a brain can see it's the opposite.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Pretty good article around the same lines:</p>

</p>

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013/07/23/2339931/ryan-braun-suspended/</p>

</p>

The only REAL deterrant would be if fans were so outraged by an unclean game they refused to attend and buy the shirts and such.</p>

</p>

Only they dont. They still come out to see their sport of choice. They still buy the shirts and such. Hell there is so much money on sport, it makes drug use rational along with prevelant.  </p>

</p>

So who REALLY cares if an athlete is using <insert PED>? It certainly isnt the fan base.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
It certainly wasn't when McGuire and Sosa were going crazy for like 3 or 4 years in a row either. Everyone ate it up. Even amongst the (albeit smaller at that time) voices of doubt over if they were "clean" or not. People are calling for lifetime bans for guys like A-Rod. I think that's ridiculous. The one thing I'll agree on is gambling though. That's worse than any PED use. Pete Rose deserves his lifetime ban.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="207077" data-time="1374692206">
<div>

It certainly wasn't when McGuire and Sosa were going crazy for like 3 or 4 years in a row either. Everyone ate it up. Even amongst the (albeit smaller at that time) voices of doubt over if they were "clean" or not. People are calling for lifetime bans for guys like A-Rod. I think that's ridiculous. The one thing I'll agree on is gambling though. That's worse than any PED use. Pete Rose deserves his lifetime ban.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Meh, I dont see a problem with gambling either. Once again, one that got caught. He is certainly not the only athlete to gamble.</p>

</p>

Ok, he made a mistake and gambled on his own sport and his own team, bad judgement for sure. I guess the 1919 Sox still ring hard for some...</p>

</p>

But if you are also comparing which is worse for the "purity" of sport, gambling or steroids? I say gambling every day of the week, no question to me.</p>

supraman

Liked Posts:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyyKLqlNTCM[/youtube]</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Count Dante" data-cid="207078" data-time="1374693326">
<div>

Meh, I dont see a problem with gambling either. Once again, one that got caught. He is certainly not the only athlete to gamble.</p>

</p>

Ok, he made a mistake and gambled on his own sport and his own team, bad judgement for sure. I guess the 1919 Sox still ring hard for some...</p>

</p>

But if you are also comparing which is worse for the "purity" of sport, gambling or steroids? I say gambling every day of the week, no question to me.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Gambling is much a bigger potential problem than PEDs. With PEDs everyone likes to bring up "damaging the integrity of the game", but that is much more applicable to gambling than it ever is/was to PEDs. It's literally an attack on the integrity of the game. Pete Rose was a manager. You can't have a manager betting on his own team or other teams in his sport. That brings everything, every  move he makes/doesn't make into question. The game will "survive" PEDs, it's always been there to one degree or another, and it's always been, whether people like it not, meant for competitive purposes, to be more competitive, to become better. Gambling is completely different. It makes the game a farce, almost pointless, especially when you have someone in the position of Pete Rose doing it. It brings up the question of whether or not outcomes or predetermined or were fixed a certain way. That's why boxing became  a complete joke.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh I completely agree with you on what would damage pro sports more, gambling (on their own sport/team/personal perfomance) or drugs.</p>

</p>

This is why fans dont care anymore. Supra's link is part of a comedy act, but rings true. We want our athletes bigger than life. I dont care if an athlete uses drugs anymore than if an actor took beta blockers or a kid takes ritalin before their SAT test, or you have a couple cups of coffee to give that pep for the meeting you have to chair.</p>

</p>

In fact I would be more surprised if an athlete did not use drugs. We also dont seem to care about the medically prescribed pain killers or cortizone (a steroid) shot that athletes get to assist in recovery or to enhance their performance.  These are just fine.</p>

</p>

An no one cares...</p>

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
I think more people are outraged at Braun because he lied to everyone's face about being clean and then had the balls to throw someone else under the bus so he could get off on a technicality. After that, instead of cleaning up his act he kept up the PED use. The people in the game are disgusted at how he used them and how he flat out lied to them.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JOVE23" data-cid="207096" data-time="1374708982">
<div>

I think more people are outraged at Braun because he lied to everyone's face about being clean and then had the balls to throw someone else under the bus so he could get off on a technicality. After that, instead of cleaning up his act he kept up the PED use. The people in the game are disgusted at how he used them and how he flat out lied to them.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I am not sure why people would be mad at the lying... That is the first rule when accused, deny, deny, deny. I dont think I can recall one person accused, who came out immediately to say, "Yes, I did the steroids." The first is always deny.</p>

</p>

What whatever works... It is pretty nonsensical to me.</p>

WiHawksFan

Liked Posts:
So the good athletes who want nothing to do with putting chemicals in their body lose out?</p>

</p>

Test away MLB...test away....</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Count Dante" data-cid="207105" data-time="1374762649">
<div>

I am not sure why people would be mad at the lying... That is the first rule when accused, deny, deny, deny. I dont think I can recall one person accused, who came out immediately to say, "Yes, I did the steroids." The first is always deny.</p>

</p>

What whatever works... It is pretty nonsensical to me.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

People are mad about the lying because he put another completely innocent person's reputation (and probably job) on the line by lying in the way he did in order to try to get away with it. Go ahead and deny if you want, but when you do it in the way he did, yeah that's horseshit. That's way worse than taking PEDs. That guy had the whole fucking state against him because of what Braun and others were alleging.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I just love that Aaron Rodgers had to eat his shit because he was literally arguing with people on twitter in Feb saying that Braun was innocent. He's very quiet these days.</p>

WiHawksFan

Liked Posts:
Rodgers said that he would bet his salary that Braun was innocent.</p>

</p>

Time to pay up</p>

</p>

1004634_10200799085352631_1698801320_n.jpg
</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
There goes his discount double CHECK.</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ida B. Wells' Nephew" data-cid="207832" data-time="1376674407">
<div>

<span style="font-size:14px;">'Naive' to think PEDs aren't in NHL: Toews</span></p>

</p>

Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews told Toronto radio station Sportsnet 590 The Fan this week that it is "naive" to think that performance-enhancing drugs are not being used by NHL players.</p>

</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Agree</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Of course there is PED use. It just doesn't show up as evident in some of the ways that are more obvious in other sports.</p>

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
I wonder if we can get some of Miguel Tejada's drugs and give them to Starlin Castro?</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I cannot tell who is the bigger piece of shit Braun or Arod. The stories coming out now about what Braun was saying about the tester guy whose life he ruined is some dumb ass shit.