Ryan Johnson

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
When you get 2pts for out hitting a team...then it will matter.

Playoffs last year..

vs Phil

Gm 6- PHI - 27 - CHI - 19...Win

Gm 5- PHI - 45 - CHI - 35...Win

Gm 3- PHI - 37 - CHI - 35...Win

Gm 1- PHI - 40 - CHI - 37...Win

SJ -..all wins, by the way

Gm 4- SJ - 35 - CHI - 32

Gm 3- SJ - 38 - CHI - 31

Gm 2- SJ - 35 - CHI - 32

Gm 1- SJ - 30 - CHI - 32

VAN -

Gm 6 - Van - 18 - CHI - 24

Gm 4 - Van - 28 - CHI - 15

Gm 3 - Van - 40 - CHI - 21

Gm 2 - Van - 31 - CHI - 38

NASH -

Gm 6 - Nash - 30 - CHI - 10

Gm 5 - Nash - 30 - CHI - 19

Gm 4 - Nash - 28 - CHI - 18

Gm 2 - Nash - 28 - CHI - 32

So the Hawks were outhit in 12 of thier 16 playoff wins last year, on their way to winning the cup. Being physical isnt just hitting. Chances are, being a puck possesion team - they'll be outhit most of the time. They go to traffic areas, take hits to make plays and finish hits when the opportunity comes.

Is there any way to look at the teams we have outhit this year vs. whether we won or lost the game?

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I was replying to the comment that come a "playoff series"...they'd get worn out. Didnt seem to wear them out last year

Tim

Liked Posts:
Except for Nashville in last year's playoffs the hits were relatively close. ( Don't forget Nashville could easily have won that series. They really fucked up that one game. )

In Columbus it was 43 - 18 , last night it was 36 - 16. That differential is to great.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
So they should start to play dump and chase....simply so they can start "outhitting" teams? Completely change the system they put in place of puck possesion - which won them the cup, which DET has had thier success in, so they can pad hitting stats.

I don't see a player on the team that "shys" away from traffic areas when they have the puck. They go to the net, they battle on the boards...those are traits of a physical team as well, that doesnt show as "hits".

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Maybe getting outhit will now take over for them not having heart as the teams now top complaint, now that theyre back in the playoff picture.

Tim

Liked Posts:
Maybe getting outhit will now take over for them not having heart as the teams now top complaint, now that theyre back in the playoff picture.

You are the one getting worked up, I made a simple observation that gave me some concern.. I didn't expect a 2 page debate, nor did I ever quit on this present team.

I guess we can table this discussion until the playoffs begin at which time you will hopefully be proven correct.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Not sure where I'm getting worked up....can say the same about you.

Just showing the facts that in the playoffs last year, they were outhit in 12 of thier 16 wins - and it wasnt just the NASH series, in 2 of thier VAN wins it was almost 2 to 1 as well.

Ton

Liked Posts:
So they should start to play dump and chase....simply so they can start "outhitting" teams? Completely change the system they put in place of puck possesion - which won them the cup, which DET has had thier success in, so they can pad hitting stats.

I don't see a player on the team that "shys" away from traffic areas when they have the puck. They go to the net, they battle on the boards...those are traits of a physical team as well, that doesnt show as "hits".

I agree that physical play is something that has more value than any stat can show. Hits and blocked shots give a good indication but there are other ways to play physical as well that don't come up on the score sheet.

That said, there are points in the season where I feel the Hawks are too soft. They just don't really get chippy enough in some situations and the overall team toughness has been missed. I think that overall toughness was important for staying in control of their momentum.

Shredder

Liked Posts:
Johnson has 3 goals in his last 133 games. That's a liability if I've ever seen one...

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only point in this thread was that Johnson as of late has shown more to the 3rd or 4th line centerman position (depending on Qs line choice for that moment) than Mr. Invisible/Jake Dowell. Its what the Hawks have to work with, unless Stan pulls a miracle trade out of his ass for another competant center

ericthered

Liked Posts:
When you get 2pts for out hitting a team...then it will matter.

Playoffs last year..

vs Phil

Gm 6- PHI - 27 - CHI - 19...Win

Gm 5- PHI - 45 - CHI - 35...Win

Gm 3- PHI - 37 - CHI - 35...Win

Gm 1- PHI - 40 - CHI - 37...Win

SJ -..all wins, by the way

Gm 4- SJ - 35 - CHI - 32

Gm 3- SJ - 38 - CHI - 31

Gm 2- SJ - 35 - CHI - 32

Gm 1- SJ - 30 - CHI - 32

VAN -

Gm 6 - Van - 18 - CHI - 24

Gm 4 - Van - 28 - CHI - 15

Gm 3 - Van - 40 - CHI - 21

Gm 2 - Van - 31 - CHI - 38

NASH -

Gm 6 - Nash - 30 - CHI - 10

Gm 5 - Nash - 30 - CHI - 19

Gm 4 - Nash - 28 - CHI - 18

Gm 2 - Nash - 28 - CHI - 32

So the Hawks were outhit in 12 of thier 16 playoff wins last year, on their way to winning the cup. Being physical isnt just hitting. Chances are, being a puck possesion team - they'll be outhit most of the time. They go to traffic areas, take hits to make plays and finish hits when the opportunity comes.

Is the one I put in bold a misprint because the Hawks lost gm3 to philly?