My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
:obama:

LOL. You couldn’t be more wrong. Meredith’s 4 100 yard games that year...

INDY (Hoyer) - Leading going into the 4th quarter
JAX (Hoyer) - Leading going into the 4th quarter
GB (Barkley) - tied in 4th quarter
WASH (Barkley) - most of his production was in the 1st half

Looking even deeper...

DET (Barkley) - 72 yards and a TD, lost 17-14
SF (Barkley - 67 yards in a blizzard and a win.

His production in 2016 was like being the leading scorer on a bad team in the NBA.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First... I loved Alshon. I live in SC and watching him go from SC to the Bears was almost too good to be true for me. I had wanted it for a couple years prior to the draft but thought it was more of a pipe dream.

Now, the Jeffery situation was difficult for everyone.

He had numerous (as some would say, "soft tissue") injuries that prevented him from finishing a whole season since 2014.

He had 6 TD's and 1628 yards for the 2015 and 2016 seasons COMBINED. (#1 WR numbers?)

The Bears franchise tagged him in 2016 season anyways driving his overall "worth" up to top 5 in the league status. This would come into play with Jeffery's agent come negotiation time the following season.

He got suspended for PEDs. (this forced questions about his character)

The Bears chose NOT to Franchise Tag him again because that would over-inflate his overall "worth" to top 3 and increase his stance in negotiations. (Hello L. Bell) Not only would it weaken the position of the Front Office with Jeffery, it would weaken their position for literally ANYONE that wants a contract with the Bears in the "near future" as it would show they could be bullied into paying higher contracts. (not a wise business practice) I doubt anyone here believes he's in the same category as the top WR's currently in the league.

Antonio Brown - 17Mil
Mike Evans - 16.5 Mil
DeAndre Hopkins - 16.2 Mil

The Bears then tried to offer him a fair contract to stay in the 2017 season and beyond and he chose to go to a contender. NOBODY can fault him for that. Paying him a higher $ long term contract just because they have the means to do so isn't always the wisest decision.

Now we all know how the 2017 season played out, and even though Pace thought he had covered his bases with White and Meredith, when they both went down he realized he got caught with his pants down due to a lack of depth. It appears he is strongly intent on that never happening again based on all of the WR moves he made this offseason.

I for one am willing to accept Pace's growing pains because I like his mindset, his draft picks and the direction he's taking the Bears. (hello 21st century offense!) I understand others don't feel like it's happening fast enough. And that's fine too. Unfortunately not everything in this world happens at the speed of want.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
Alshon Jeffery's deal w/ Philly: $7.75m signing bonus, $1m base (gtd), $750k workout and $4.5m in incentives for yds, catches, Pro Bowl, etc

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
Jeffery got $7.75M signing bonus, $1M salary, $750K workout bonus. Eight different incentives including yards, TD, Pro Bowl, active 16 games

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
Mar 10, 2017
Alshon Jeffery's deal with #Eagles is 1 year, $9.5 million with another $4.5M available in a variety of individual and team incentives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...alshon_jefferys_contract_details_with_eag.amp

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
My thoughts on Pace are as follows:

He messed up his first year. The wrong coach was hired for whatever reason. He also was substandard at adding talent overall.

There are a number of reasonable excuses, but that still set the rebuild back a year.

Since then, he has been generally good (not great) at adding talent. It still is concerning when the team struggles to find pro bowlers(/all pros).

Then this off-season happened, and the team looks to be potentially transformed. It looks great on paper, but I'm trying to be realistic that the team had/has a long way to go, and Pace doesn't have a great history with FAs (albeit generally in a lower tier).

Which means as of today, I'm more confident in his plan, but I'm also ready for results. For me, "the plan looks like it might be coming together" would have felt great a year ago, but now feels like it's a train that's late at getting to the station.

My patience has run out, so I have no problem questioning every Pace move, but I also can see that the light might be coming, maybe even this year.

Red flags-
1) The record
2) Already on his second coach
3) Checkered FA history
4) Why so many injuries?
5) In prior years, many reported FA targets turned down the Bears because Pace wasn't able to sell them on what was going on with the Bears at that time.
6) Few players playing at all pro levels.

Positive signs-
1) Roster talent is undeniably improving
2) Unafraid to cut bait with players/coaches
3) Consistent improvement (personally)
4) Cohesive plan
5) Messaging
6) Ability to execute in a way that aligns with that messaging

I'm hopeful, but need to see it to believe it. I'm hoping to see it this year.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
Alshon Jeffery's deal w/ Philly: $7.75m signing bonus, $1m base (gtd), $750k workout and $4.5m in incentives for yds, catches, Pro Bowl, etc

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
Jeffery got $7.75M signing bonus, $1M salary, $750K workout bonus. Eight different incentives including yards, TD, Pro Bowl, active 16 games

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
Mar 10, 2017
Alshon Jeffery's deal with #Eagles is 1 year, $9.5 million with another $4.5M available in a variety of individual and team incentives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...alshon_jefferys_contract_details_with_eag.amp

But he didn't earn those incentives...

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
The bears could have sold him on trubisky's potential. And even if he was only with the bears for one season it would have been worth it because trubisky would be better and would have a huge confidence boost going into next season. And overpaying for AJ should not have been an issue because he overpaid for a shitty qb in glennon.

Different positions, different scales. 18 million for a 1 year stop-gap QB isn't that much. It was in the lower half of starting QB's, and most of the salaries below him are because they're rookie contracts.

Say Jeffery received somewhere in that ballpark or a bit lower. That would make him the highest paid WR in the league, ahead of even Antonio Brown or DeAndre Hopkins. For a guy, who again, didn't appear to want to stay in Chicago.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
But he didn't earn those incentives...

But is that the point...?

I believe you were bitching that the writer didn’t dt the terms of the contract correct. And yet, at the time it was technically a $14M contract with incentives that may or may not be earned. And from a salary cap perspective, the team has to secure that money just in case he does earn that money.

Or perhaps your are one of those posters to say that CHI gave Cutler a $126M contract... lets not argue guaranteed money vs not guaranteed money.