Salary cap

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'd be surprised if they won this battle. They may get some higher percentage, but I don't see the NFL guaranteeing all salaries. They would not be able to afford it.

The players honestly never win any battles so I think you’re right. They have the weakest union of all sports.

Would you as a player take less money for guaranteed contracts? Would that be something that would help both players and owners?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
There are enough players getting guaranteed money. This started a long time ago with Briggs and Urlacher. Sign a contract and live with it. These past few years have been a mess. Running backs know their career is over by 30, but part of being a man is accepting what you agreed to and living up to it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The players honestly never win any battles so I think you’re right. They have the weakest union of all sports.

Would you as a player take less money for guaranteed contracts? Would that be something that would help both players and owners?

It would have to be comparable to the guaranteed money the league gives out now.

The salary cap would have to shrink and the players would have to trade off a lot of money for guaranteed salary....

As it stands the players want a bigger piece of the pie....they certainly won't get both.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
S
There are enough players getting guaranteed money. This started a long time ago with Briggs and Urlacher. Sign a contract and live with it. These past few years have been a mess. Running backs know their career is over by 30, but part of being a man is accepting what you agreed to and living up to it.
So...,All the owners are women because the owners live up to nothing as a rule,RIGHT ????

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except it does. When the player comes out of college he chooses the profession of professional football player over sports trainer, real estate agent, etc. much like a student may choose to be an accountant. He then chooses the conglomerate that is the NFL as his employer of choice over the CFL, Arena league or any of the 8 professional football leagues in existence understanding the length of contract and uncertain location he is subject to. Similar to when an account graduate gets an offer from Ernst and Young and accepts their salary and location demand over working for HR Block at his city of choice. And that young employee is being paid significantly less than the managers he answers to and do less work.

Because the NFL teams offers obscene riches that the other leagues and professions can't doesn't obligate the person to choose them, they choose them because they value the money and fame over the freedom of training big Betty at Planet fitness for $14/hr in the city they long to live in most.

Nobody is arguing if it is or is not their best option, but just because it is, doesn't make it right. That is where your argument fails. I counter with the obvious fact that owners are in no obligation to overpay in my scenario, so what's the big deal? Owners can't trust themselves to be fiscally responsible?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Nobody is arguing if it is or is not their best option, but just because it is, doesn't make it right. That is where your argument fails. I counter with the obvious fact that owners are in no obligation to overpay in my scenario, so what's the big deal? Owners can't trust themselves to be fiscally responsible?

Newly graduated doctors and lawyers join group practices under contracts all the time as lower paid associates and have to decide between money, location, benefits. Apprentice carpenters begin at 1/2 scale and aren't paid the same as the journeyman working next to them until after 4 yrs.

It's right because it is a freedom of choice decision they make. End of story.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Newly graduated doctors and lawyers join group practices under contracts all the time as lower paid associates and have to decide between money, location, benefits. Apprentice carpenters begin at 1/2 scale and aren't paid the same as the journeyman working next to them until after 4 yrs.

It's right because it is a freedom of choice decision they make. End of story.
Apprentice carpenters can start out at above scale.....I started out at journeyman scale and never looked back

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Apprentice carpenters can start out at above scale.....I started out at journeyman scale and never looked back
I worked as a union carpenter in summers when in college. You started at scale because you bought your union card, most the men I knew that took that short cut were lifetime shitty carpenters.

Last edited:

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
So you wouldn’t want teams to be able to compete with each other?

31/32 teams are owned by billionaires. The cap "ads parity/fairness" narrative is just bourgeoisie propaganda.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
31/32 teams are owned by billionaires. The cap "ads parity/fairness" narrative is just bourgeoisie propaganda.

the raiders owner is worth 500m....

some other owners are worth billions...

Jerry Jones, if uncapped could get any free agent he wants and other teams would struggle.....it would be a disaster for the NFL.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets

Jerry Jones, if uncapped could get any free agent he wants and other teams would struggle.....it would be a disaster for the NFL.

I'm saying other than the Raiders, all the other owners are billionaires. It would still be competitive just with higher money. I laugh when in baseball "small market" teams cry poor. Even the A's, Rays, Royals, Pirates, etc have a shit ton of money they just choose not to spend it.

Same in the NFL. They're all fucking loaded and have the means to spend top money on their franchise's payroll if they really fucking wanted too. A hard cap just means they get away without having to do so.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I worked as a union carpenter in summers when in college. You started at scale because you bought your union card, most the men I knew that took that short cut were lifetime shitty carpenters.
Actually the good apprentices will get bump up, some to 2nd or 3rd some to journeyman. I’ve been a journeyman Carpenter since September 11, 2001. The day I switched from being in the Laborer Union. Shitty carpenters don’t make it where I work for the most part.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Actually the good apprentices will get bump up, some to 2nd or 3rd some to journeyman. I’ve been a journeyman Carpenter since September 11, 2001. The day I switched from being in the Laborer Union. Shitty carpenters don’t make it where I work for the most part.
Shitty carpenters don't know they are actual shitty carpenters. And guys that buy their card and are never properly trained are generally shitty carpenters, whether they are aware of it or not. But ignorance is bliss.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Shitty carpenters don't know they are actual shitty carpenters. And guys that buy their card and are never properly trained are generally shitty carpenters, whether they are aware of it or not. But ignorance is bliss.
I would have fired you day 1.

I know a few carpenters that have bought their cards and are foremen, general foremen and even superintendents. You just worked with some bad people. Shitty carpenters are fodder for when you are coming out of the ground, shitty apprentices never make it to journeyman.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pace optimistic about Bears' salary cap space.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Just for the record, I was never arguing against a cap.