Sam Acho: What to Offer

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are a couple of players on defense that I think are worthy of contract extensions and have shown that they were good value signings, good scheme fits, and have upside to continue to develop in this system.​

Sam Acho

Acho was the ultimate after thought signing, but he was young and had experience in the system so it was interesting. As disappointing as Allen, Young, and Houston have been Acho has been pleasantly surprising. Acho is not a dominant pass rusher, but he is very good against the run and in coverage, and he plays with an energy that the defense feeds from. Acho stepped into the starting line up and immediately flashed.

At 26 and improving every week Acho seems like a great scheme fit across from McPhee. His coverage and run stuffing abilities allow McPhee to rush the passer.

High End: Pernell McPhee [Chicago] 5 years 38 million/15.5 guaranteed

Mid Level: Derrick Morgan [Tennessee] 4 years 27 million/10 guaranteed
Dan Skuta [Jacksonville] 5 years 20 million/8 guaranteed
Jabal Sheard [New England] 2 years 11 million/5.5 guaranteed

Comparables:

Akeem Ayers [St. Louis] 2 years 6 million/3 guaranteed
Justin Durant [Atlanta] 3 years 10 million/1.5 guaranteed
Malcolm Smith [Oakland] 2 years 7 million/3.5 guaranteed

I included some not 3-4 OLBs because Acho's primary strengths are not pass rushing and he probably will not put up big sack numbers. Obviously if he goes on a pass rush tear we are talking about more money.

It appears 3-4 million puts him in the proper bracket and somewhere between 3-6 million guaranteed depending on length.

My Contract Offer: 2 years 6 million/3 guaranteed or 3 years 10 million/3 guaranteed

I would offer a little more if he takes the 3rd year as it gives more options about how to work the money around.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
He's a solid backup OLB that is capable of giving you starter reps for stretches. The argument I'd pose is that type of role is typically for a draft pick who has a lower rookie salary. Acho is not a bad player, but if looking at the salary cap as a limited resource you need to allocate to all positions he might be a little expensive to keep.

The contracts you offered look good especially if he can contribute on special teams a bit, but if someone thinks he could be a starter in their system they will overpay.

Overall with Acho I'd be worried about something that I refer to as the 'Raider Principle'. When one side of the ball doesn't have much talent some players look good relative to the people around them. The prime example here is Nnamdi when he was in Oakland. He was the most sought after FA when he finally hit the market, but when asked to do something different and was tested a bit more he turned out to be average at best.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Should we not wait to see how the season plays out?

Liked Posts:
I currently have him projected as a $2M a year player. Not a pass rusher but I personally think he could translate very well to the JACK spot.

Wherever they choose to put him, I think either a 2 year/$4M deal or MAYBE a 3 year/ $7.5M is good enough to keep him. Not particularly a starter at OLB but a snap eater & someone who provides good ST value & a solid core member of a rotation.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He is the yin to McPhee's yang. The man knows how to tackle and stop the run.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I'd like to lock him up as he is a valuable backup and would allow the Bears to bring along a draft pick as a situational rusher. No more than 2 per season.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's hilarious you all consider Acho a backup yet are ready to crown McLovin the next coming of Butkus.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd just like to say that HHM #calledit on Achoz

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
We cut him, and he cleared waivers. No need to over pay. We've seen what, 2 games of him here?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Two years 3 to 4 mil tops is very realistic contract

AussieBear

I'd just like to say that HHM #calledit on Achoz

nah, i beat hhm to it.

#aussiefanfarepriortothesigning #sawitcalledit2015fa

much like jarvis, he is worth a little more to the bears to keep. so your deals seem fair. however, if aldon smith hits the market....hmmmmmm... id still sign acho, even with a big name like aldon though

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
nah, i beat hhm to it.

#aussiefanfarepriortothesigning #sawitcalledit2015fa

much like jarvis, he is worth a little more to the bears to keep. so your deals seem fair. however, if aldon smith hits the market....hmmmmmm... id still sign acho though to
Mmm, I don't want to see the Bears break the bank on a high profile FA, while they are going through this rebuild. Draft and develop, with some FA that are good fits, with the right price. I probably feel this way right now because of the Cubs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AussieBear

Mmm, I don't want to see the Bears break the bank on a high profile FA, while they are going through this rebuild. Draft and develop, with some FA that are good fits, with the right price. I probably feel this way right now because of the Cubs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but with Aldons character concerns, i dont think his contract will break the bank guarantee wise. If anything, it would probably be a short term (1-3yr) incentive based deal, much like his current 1 year deal in OAK.

I think his 8 mil 1 year raider deal is basically structured around performance and active game bonuses. i think his actual cap number is around 3 million.

Being that he's 26, he may be worth a look if he does hit the markent next year. I guess it will come down to if management/owner wants to take Fangios word after the McDonald fiasco. Well, basically do the owners/front office want to take a chance on another problem player and deal with that media train.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you can get him at 3 million a season then if he starts you have a great value.

If he does not start and is the first guy off the bench that is more than reasonable.

bearboy8

Liked Posts:
I could be wrong, but with Aldons character concerns, i dont think his contract will break the bank guarantee wise. If anything, it would probably be a short term (1-3yr) incentive based deal, much like his current 1 year deal in OAK.

I think his 8 mil 1 year raider deal is basically structured around performance and active game bonuses. i think his actual cap number is around 3 million.

Being that he's 26, he may be worth a look if he does hit the markent next year. I guess it will come down to if management/owner wants to take Fangios word after the McDonald fiasco. Well, basically do the owners/front office want to take a chance on another problem player and deal with that media train.

Not even joking when I say this.

So we have 60 mil in cap or so next offseason. Probably extend Jeffery, plus picks take up some salary. Id offer Hardy a pig incentive laden contract with minimal guarantees in case he messes up again. Id also offer Aldon.

If the NFL is letting them play, then they obviously dont care about mores or drink problems or abuse problems. And their lives dont affect me. So I just want the team I cheer for to win. They would help a ton and both come from 3-4 defenses. Aldon opposite of Mcphee with Hardy as an end would be terrifying for opposing offenses.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Not even joking when I say this.

So we have 60 mil in cap or so next offseason. Probably extend Jeffery, plus picks take up some salary. Id offer Hardy a pig incentive laden contract with minimal guarantees in case he messes up again. Id also offer Aldon.

If the NFL is letting them play, then they obviously dont care about mores or drink problems or abuse problems. And their lives dont affect me. So I just want the team I cheer for to win. They would help a ton and both come from 3-4 defenses. Aldon opposite of Mcphee with Hardy as an end would be terrifying for opposing offenses.

Hardy has always been a 43 end not 34. If he were to play here it would be as an OLB and that is a projection. Aldon Smith would be awesome though.

bearboy8

Liked Posts:
Hardy has always been a 43 end not 34. If he were to play here it would be as an OLB and that is a projection. Aldon Smith would be awesome though.

I swear I saw him as DE in a 3-4 for the cowboys last week. Maybe I saw wrong though. Unless that was just small packages from the cowboys.....or I dont know how to see or count

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I swear I saw him as DE in a 3-4 for the cowboys last week. Maybe I saw wrong though. Unless that was just small packages from the cowboys.....or I dont know how to see or count

Didn't watch their game but Rod runs a pretty pure 43 much like the one he played in Carolina under Rivera. Hardy can go get it and I think he could convert to OLB though.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't let Greg Hardy clean the Bears locker room let alone have a locker.

We finally seem to have a good thing going in the locker room and with the culture and people want to bring in a complete sociopath?

Hardy is like an10x worse/unreformed Marshall

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't let Greg Hardy clean the Bears locker room let alone have a locker.

We finally seem to have a good thing going in the locker room and with the culture and people want to bring in a complete sociopath?

Hardy is like an10x worse/unreformed Marshall

After the Ray McDonald fiasco I doubt Pace would even consider him. Aldon Smith also has issues and Pace may not want to gamble there either but I would think he would be more likely to at least be considered.

I wouldn't mind simply re-signing Acho and bringing in a rookie OLB.