Sam Mustipher and the center position

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mustipher took over at center for Whitehair but even when Cody Whitehair got healthy they kept Mustipher in at center and moved Whitehair to guard because how well he played last year at center.

Does Sam Mustipher start at center next season?

G: Cody Whitehair
C: Sam Mustipher
G: James Daniels

Montucky

Liked Posts:
There will be a lot of competition on the interior line. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bears also bring in a cheap vet free agent like Matt Skura to be a part of the mix. Consider where things were after week eight when even Whitehair didn't really look like he deserved to be an NFL starter and the situation is way better than anyone could have predicted.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I think they'll go back to Daniels at G and Whitehair at C. Mustipher will be valuable as the backup. The biggest question going into next year on the OL is who will be starting at both tackle positions, because they are in need of major upgrades.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think they'll go back to Daniels at G and Whitehair at C. Mustipher will be valuable as the backup. The biggest question going into next year on the OL is who will be starting at both tackle positions, because they are in need of major upgrades.
Whitehair at center just hasn't been very successful and I think Whitehair himself is opposed to it. I agree though, the big issue is what happens at tackle. The Bears will not have sustained quarterback success with anyone, whether its Nick Foles, Tyrod Taylor, Mac Jones, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson or whoever else, if they have Charles Leno Jr. and Bobbie Massie starting games. They both need to go.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
they need to leave whitehair at lg and quit fuckin with him

bears always do this shit with ol. guy shows promise at one spot, then they start moving him around and all the sudden his play declines. fuckin annoying

Montucky

Liked Posts:
bears always do this shit with ol. guy shows promise at one spot, then they start moving him around and all the sudden his play declines. fuckin annoying
Its infuriating. They wasted the best years of Kyle Long's career forcing him to play out of position. This maddening habit has spanned different general managers and different coaches. It is almost like an organizational priority to fuck up any offensive lineman with any promise.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They all do it. Injuries cause changes and often rotating positions. GB did it at the end of last year. Yes, it showed but less than if they did something else. Our problem has always been not having enough good players which is constantly creating this dance when one goes down. Having a backup C besides the 2 already on the field was a godsend. Of course, now we don't have one again. Bar sure didn't cut it there and is a backup at G as well.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You shouldn't ACTIVELY search for a new center. But I find it hard to say that he has the starting spot on lockdown. He did enough to where if we have holes in other spots, work on those spots before Center. I will say this.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
?/Daniels/Sam/Cody/Bars

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
More than likely Leno will be back for at least next season. I could see them cutting Massie and re-signing Ifedi to compete at RT with a rookie who has LT traits that can eventually replace Leno.

CL-CW-SM-JD-Rookie/Ifedi

Bars is your backup interior guy and the loser of the RT competition will be the swing tackle.

twetz

Liked Posts:
Interesting interview on The Tape Never Lies network with Dieter Eiselen who is currently working with Olin Kreutz with the goal of being the center. Most of us have a pretty decent amount of respect for Kreutz. I'd love to see this move work out. I love reading and listening to the prospects and what they do in the off-season.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Decent draft for C's. Pace could pick one up late for depth. Mustipher makes the correct blocking calls but lacks elite physical skills. Line play improved when Whitehair was removed from making line calls, which he absolutely fucking sucked at, and went back to his natural position and started dominating. Find an OT and I dont think the line is such an issue anymore. But it does need more depth.