Samardzija speaks out on the front office trades of his fellow teammates

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
OAKLAND, Calif. — The Cubs' trades of Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger to the Orioles and Carlos Marmol to the Dodgers on Tuesday were mere preludes to the main event: the Matt Garza sweepstakes.

The Cubs were happy to get struggling pitchers Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop from the Orioles, along with international signing bonus slots three and four, and 34-year-old reliever Matt Guerrier and some salary relief from Marmol's contract from the Dodgers.

But before Tuesday's game against the Athletics, pitcher Jeff Samardzija said he wasn't thrilled with the moves.

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said. "He was one of our better pitchers. He's thrown a lot of innings, a solid dude, a solid guy in the clubhouse.

"It's a shame to see him go, and the same with Clevenger. A great dude to have around, a great teammate who played the game hard and played the right way. It's unfortunate. Just hope the guys they get in return are comparable and bring the same attitude to the field every day that those guys brought."

Garza, who declined to talk the day before his start, is as good as gone. A bidding war is underway, and the Cubs hope to get some top prospects for the playoff-proven veteran.

Will that affect Samardzija's future? He's considered part of the core, but he turned down a five-year deal over the winter.

"Well, I definitely don't want to see all my boys traded, that's for sure," he replied. "That wouldn't be the coolest thing in the world, especially when we feel we're not too far away from being a pretty darn good team. We'll see how this all turns out by July 31 and then go from there."

With the addition of two more international signing bonus slots from the Astros for minor leaguer Ronald Torreyes, minus an international slot sent to the Dodgers, general manager Jed Hoyer said the team netted $963,000 in bonus pool money to spend on players in what he called a "deep" pool of international talent.

Whether a 16-year-old will pan out won't be known for years. But the reverberations from Tuesday's deals will be felt for a while.

Chris Rusin was brought up from Triple-A Iowa to start against the A's on Tuesday. Carlos Villanueva will be stretched out and might rejoin the rotation around the All-Star break.

Arrieta was sent to Iowa with no timetable for a call-up. Strop and Guerrier will join the bullpen Wednesday, which could spell the end for Shawn Camp and Henry Rodriguez.

While manager Dale Sveum and Hoyer lauded the addition of "power arms," was it the right message to send to the players?

"We're still viable in being able to fill those roles right now," Sveum said. "Obviously you start getting more thin when things change that way. But I'm not worried. They're professional players. They've got to go out and perform individually themselves anyways."

Life goes on, but Samardzija said "losing guys like (Feldman and Clevenger) who've got your back" is painful for the clubhouse.

"To not get another chance to play with those guys sucks," he said. "You deal with it. It's business. Our job is to win the game today with whatever 25 guys we have in this locker room.
"

Just think what his attitude will be if Garza, Schierholtz, and Soriano go? Should be interesting to see how this all plays out for a possible trade or extension for Shark. :popcorn:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just think what his attitude will be if Garza, Schierholtz, and Soriano go? Should be interesting to see how this all plays out for a possible trade or extension for Shark. :popcorn:

Were Feldman and Clevenger drinking buddies w/ Shark? I mean, I was under the impression no one cared about Clevenger leaving. :shrug:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Were Feldman and Clevenger drinking buddies w/ Shark? I mean, I was under the impression no one cared about Clevenger leaving. :shrug:

It appears to be a frustration factor with Shark and the team regressing in his eyes. You know that he is ultra-competitive. I think it has also been weighing on Soriano for most of this year with the horrible start the Cubs have had, and now it may be carrying over to the other players.

Players want to see progression. Not everyone in the world is hip to this whole "rewarding journey" thing. Just sayin'.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It appears to be a frustration factor with Shark and the team regressing in his eyes. You know that he is ultra-competitive. I think it has also been weighing on Soriano for most of this year with the horrible start the Cubs have had, and now it may be carrying over to the other players.

Players want to see progression. Not everyone in the world is hip to this whole "rewarding journey" thing. Just sayin'.

I don't love the fact that the big league team sucks, contrary to popular opinion. But when a 3rd string catcher is traded and the ace of the team gets his feelings hurt b/c they were drinking buddies, I could care less. It's a business. People move.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I don't love the fact that the big league team sucks, contrary to popular opinion. But when a 3rd string catcher is traded and the ace of the team gets his feelings hurt b/c they were drinking buddies, I could care less. It's a business. People move.

I am sure Shark will eventually get over it. Initial shock I'm sure, and he probably pays a little more attention to pitchers and catchers, but in the end, to go a step forward and two back each year gets old, especially for the players.

Like I said, his contract talks ought to be interesting.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Meh, I just think this is Shark voicing his frustration that he lost some players he was tight with. Athletes understand the business dynamics, they really don't have a choice. I would wager that most Cubs players knew that Feldman was a likely cash-in candidate when he was signed. Luckily, starting pitching has been the Cubs' strongest suit this year and they have enough depth that I don't feel like losing Feldman will be as detrimental as some may think. Villanueva pitching well while he started and should be able to fit back in seamlessly.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Losing wears on people.

Shark is clearly frustrated with being in the middle of an incredibly slow rebuilding process.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He's right. Trading Feldman doesn't improve the team; they aren't trying to now.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
He's right. Trading Feldman doesn't improve the team; they aren't trying to now.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

If they weren't, they wouldn't sign any free agents at all and just let the AAA players play and rid the team of any contracts. Extending Rizzo, Castro, and the signing of Jackson whether one likes the deals or not, tells me just the opposite.

They are incrementally improving the team with the main emphasis on pitching. Albeit too slow for most, they are trying to improve that area first. :popcorn:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Like I said, his contract talks ought to be interesting.

he under control for 2 more seasons, im sure these trades wont effect him resigning when his time comes, if the money right.

I would wager that most Cubs players knew that Feldman was a likely cash-in candidate when he was signed.

I believe Feldman himself knew he would be moved when he signed hiis deal

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They are incrementally improving the team with the main emphasis on pitching. Albeit too slow for most, they are trying to improve that area first.

like ive said before, they are improving the organization from the ground level on up, which to date they have done a pretty good job at overall..
their putting all their money and effort in the minor league system to strengthen that part of the equation, along with adding a few core players to the major league level ( rizzo,castro, samardzija, castillo, wood ).. that said, with this off season being year 3 they definitely need to start emphasizing more on adding to the core on the major league level with their off season moves then Flip projects.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
their putting all their money and effort in the minor league system to strengthen that part of the equation, along with adding a few core players to the major league level ( rizzo,castro, samardzija, castillo, wood )

No they aren't.

They are spending all that they are allowed to spend, but it is a far cry from putting all their money they have available. The available money that can't be spent on the minors is going into the owners pockets.

If Travis Wood is a core piece, this team has a long ways to go.

Rizzo is a league average at best 1B so far. Again if he is a core piece, this team has a long ways to go.

The other three names were already in the organization, so they were not added.*

* = 100% baseball related content.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
No they aren't.

They are spending all that they are allowed to spend, but it is a far cry from putting all their money they have available. The available money that can't be spent on the minors is going into the owners pockets.

If Travis Wood is a core piece, this team has a long ways to go.

Rizzo is a league average at best 1B so far. Again if he is a core piece, this team has a long ways to go.

The other three names were already in the organization, so they were not added.*

* = 100% baseball related content.
But I thought Uncle Jim ignored the farm?

And Rizzo was acquired thanks to Jimbo's piece of Cashner.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shark must be looking in a magic 8 ball, I would've never thought this was true..

patg006

Liked Posts:
But I thought Uncle Jim ignored the farm?

And Rizzo was acquired thanks to Jimbo's piece of Cashner.

Nobody said cubs fans were the smartest when it comes to what Hendry did and Theo is doing. Some see what they want to see, and those are the people you see on the other thread getting excited for a couple 16 year olds than trying to extend their frustrated, very talented ace of the staff.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody said cubs fans were the smartest when it comes to what Hendry did and Theo is doing. Some see what they want to see, and those are the people you see on the other thread getting excited for a couple 16 year olds than trying to extend their frustrated, very talented ace of the staff.

This is a problem not confined to one group of posters in this messageboard.

As far as Shark goes, the Cubs control him for two more years period. A lot can change in two years, and so I expect Samardzija to be a member of the Cubs heading into 2014. If he is still turning down an extension into 2015 I will get worried about the Cubs shopping him seriously.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
The Cubs may have two more years of "control" over Samardzija, but that doesn't mean he's all in.

Do you really think tanking seasons is going to inspire him to perform?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs may have two more years of "control" over Samardzija, but that doesn't mean he's all in.

I think what inspires him to perform is getting a big payday. I think that Samardzija is a very interesting tell for the timetable of the front office. If Samardzija is moved at this point than all the talk of 2016 and beyond is true. If Samardzija is kept then there is going to be a shifting of emphasis from just acquiring long term assets to more short term fixes of the major league roster. I think ultimately these are off the cuff responses from a very competitive player that is clearly frustrated with the way the year has gone. If the pattern is duplicated the next two years than I would be worried about Samardzija refusing the Cubs offers no matter what, but I think there is going to be that shifting in philosophy in the next couple of offseasons.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

NO, but getting a long term contract worth big money will..... doubt he gets one not trying to perform for the next 2 seasons.