September Call Ups Thread

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's the 40-man roster:

40-Man Roster | cubs.com: Team

You'll note that it's stuffed to the brim with shitty pitchers. The only position players right now who can be called up in September without a roster move are Welington Castillo, DJ LeMahieu, and Lou Montanez. That means in order to get guys like Brett Jackson and Bryan LaHair their cup of coffee, they need to get rid of some shitty pitchers.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah, forgot about all the shitty pitchers that were DL'ed.

Yup...it's at 39 with no DL pitchers. Schlitter (60 day DL), Cashner (60 day DL, but coming back very soon) and Zambrano (I don't think he counts as he's on the restricted list).

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I think DJ, LaHair, Castillo, Berg, Maine (if comes off DL), Carpetner (If comes DL, if still on) and Montanez will be called up.

Brett Jackson also BETTER be called up to finish the last month playing in all 3 OF spots. But from the look of it, it's unlikely. I hope I'm wrong.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think DJ, LaHair, Castillo, Berg, Maine (if comes off DL), Carpetner (If comes DL, if still on) and Montanez will be called up.

Brett Jackson also BETTER be called up to finish the last month playing in all 3 OF spots. But from the look of it, it's unlikely. I hope I'm wrong.

Might not be a bad idea to let the I-Cubs finish their season before they figure that out. But B-Jax is hitting so well that they might just let him come up for a few.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I expect Jackson to be the Cubs starting OF next year, coming outta ST and I want to get a taste of what he can do in the majors.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Instead of freeing up 40-man roster spots before the 40-man roster by not keeping Brett Jackson up, maybe we should trade people before the draft instead?

Not really a question or a maybe.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Instead of freeing up 40-man roster spots before the 40-man roster by not keeping Brett Jackson up, maybe we should trade people before the draft instead?

Not really a question or a maybe.

How 'bout just release their asses.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Release Grablow, Lopez Ortiz Hill

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If Colvin isn't even getting full playing time, do you really think BJax will be?

I expect Jackson to be the Cubs starting OF next year, coming outta ST and I want to get a taste of what he can do in the majors.

Just because you wanna see him doesn't make it the right move.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If Colvin isn't even getting full playing time, do you really think BJax will be?

Just because you wanna see him doesn't make it the right move.

BJax will, yes.

However, he doesn't need that much regular playing time in September... since if he isn't called up at all he wouldn't be playing at all, so all he'd get would just be extra stuff before Arizona (would he still be AzFL eligible?). However, he SHOULD get it when he is up, but doesn't necessarily require it since Iowa's season is ending in like a week.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the I-Cubs season was done soon and it's not like they're going to the playoffs. So it doesn't matter whether or not Brett Jackson gets called up and has to sit on the bench anyway.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I thought the I-Cubs season was done soon and it's not like they're going to the playoffs. So it doesn't matter whether or not Brett Jackson gets called up and has to sit on the bench anyway.

With how arbitration goes... if he gets called up after Sept 1, he gets MLB service time for each game he plays in, not how many games he was called up for. So, the arbitration clock issue is a moot point too.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

No the only issue to not bring up Brett Jackson is the 40 man roster crunch that is going to happen this winter. I can see both sides, and I am anxious to see Brett Jackson hit against big leaguers. However, I think it would be prudent to hold off to keep the extra spot open over the winter given how many quality guys. The whole list is 20 guys and I counted at least 9 guys that I think the Cubs really ought to protect.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the September service time wasn't counted but I wasn't sure. Waldo also said that there were some spots open on the 40-man. I'm not as up-to-date on transaction rules so I don't know how that would affect Brett Jackson's service time or Rule 5 status or whatever. It probably doesn't matter whether they call him up or not since he's going to come up at some point in 2012 anyway assuming he doesn't turn into a pumpkin. Plus if his clock starts in September I don't think he'd qualify for Super Two or anything like that.