My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Isn't Soto on a 0-20 streak now?

Would really like to see Castillo get a ton of atbats.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't Soto on a 0-20 streak now?

Would really like to see Castillo get a ton of atbats.

I know I've said this before, but if you are expecting more offensively from Castillo than Soto I think you are going to be disappointed.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know I've said this before, but if you are expecting more offensively from Castillo than Soto I think you are going to be disappointed.
In my opinion Soto has peaked. I don't think he should be the Cubs catcher going forward.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my opinion Soto has peaked. I don't think he should be the Cubs catcher going forward.

I understand that you think he has peaked, but really I don't doubt that Castillo could probably have a better batting average than Soto this year. That said, Castillo is unlikely to provide the other offensive value that Soto does (patience and power). I posted the numbers earlier, and as good as Castillo is doing at AAA at age 24 Soto was way, way better at the same level and age.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand that you think he has peaked, but really I don't doubt that Castillo could probably have a better batting average than Soto this year. That said, Castillo is unlikely to provide the other offensive value that Soto does (patience and power). I posted the numbers earlier, and as good as Castillo is doing at AAA at age 24 Soto was way, way better at the same level and age.

At some point they have to find the next Koyie Hill y'know.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hill would be a valuable coach of some sort. He knows how to call a game behind the plate. He's solid defensively. He just can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

I think he's lost his motivation. His rookie season, he had to earn his future contracts, and he had Blanco pushing him. Now, his big threat is Koyie-fuckin-Hill. Real pressure there, huh? Get someone on the squad that might actually threaten to take his job, and I think you see Soto suddenly return to his rookie form.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would love to have Castillo up here after Iowa's season is done. I would love to never see Koyie Hill catch a game for the Cubs. I would love for Castillo to be the backup catcher next year that is catching about a 1/3 of the games to keep Soto fresher. I just think that some people are suffering from backup quarterback syndrome when they are looking at the situation with Soto and Castillo right now, and I am just trying to point that out.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I love the attitude that fans have when the team just got swept, and is 20 under that we can't throw prospects to the fire. I'm not making crazy promises for Castillo, I want him to get MLB at-bats. That's not fair to him or the Cubs to not try him out at the MLB level.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hill would be a valuable coach of some sort. He knows how to call a game behind the plate. He's solid defensively. He just can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

I especially liked the part today where Hill and Casey Coleman let Zack Greinke steal a base :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am convinced that any catcher that sucks at hitting is given the label a good defensive catcher after watching Koyie Hill.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I am convinced that any catcher that sucks at hitting is given the label a good defensive catcher after watching Koyie Hill.

His defense really does blow.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I especially liked the part today where Hill and Casey Coleman let Zack Greinke steal a base :lol:

Yeah...

But...

His defense really does blow.

He...

Really...

Yeah, alright, he's not that great. But is range factor is over 9000!

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he's lost his motivation. His rookie season, he had to earn his future contracts, and he had Blanco pushing him. Now, his big threat is Koyie-fuckin-Hill. Real pressure there, huh? Get someone on the squad that might actually threaten to take his job, and I think you see Soto suddenly return to his rookie form.

He still has to earn his future contracts. He doesn't have anything yet for next year. Theory = Debunked.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
He still has to earn his future contracts. He doesn't have anything yet for next year. Theory = Debunked.

And yet even in arbitration they can't reduce his salary by more than 25%...

On top of it, all he has to do is point to Koyie Hill's numbers... and it add value to his arbitration case.

Plus, you love to use the injury argument/excuse as much as anyone else I've seen on here/ all he has to say is that he hasn't really been fully healthy... and he has the DL stints to prove it... in justifying his 'down numbers'.

Your debunking just failed.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And yet even in arbitration they can't reduce his salary by more than 25%...

On top of it, all he has to do is point to Koyie Hill's numbers... and it add value to his arbitration case.

Plus, you love to use the injury argument/excuse as much as anyone else I've seen on here/ all he has to say is that he hasn't really been fully healthy... and he has the DL stints to prove it... in justifying his 'down numbers'.

Your debunking just failed.

The Cubs can come right back with well, he has been injured, so why should we give him a raise when he isn't playing a full season for us. I just think that you're misreading his style of play for laziness. I don't think he's being lazy, I think he goes out there and is one of the few players who try. If he wasn't, I would expect his 10 numbers to be similar to his 09 and 11 numbers, which they aren't.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
The Cubs can come right back with well, he has been injured, so why should we give him a raise when he isn't playing a full season for us. I just think that you're misreading his style of play for laziness. I don't think he's being lazy, I think he goes out there and is one of the few players who try. If he wasn't, I would expect his 10 numbers to be similar to his 09 and 11 numbers, which they aren't.

Point to me where injury has allowed any player to lose an arbitration case.

The only option the Cubs would have to reduce his salary would be to nontender him. And within 48 hours, some other team would sign him to about the same kind of cash as he's making now.

The thing is this, whenever someone has been around that could actually take his job away, he's played well. In the few times over the past couple of seasons when Hill actually kind of hit well, it has always led to Soto suddenly getting exceptionally hot.

So, if you get someone good enough to challenge him... he either begins to play as he's shown he's capable of... or you have an option to reasonably replace him with. Don't really see how this is a bad thing, to be honest.

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Point to me where injury has allowed any player to lose an arbitration case.

The only option the Cubs would have to reduce his salary would be to nontender him. And within 48 hours, some other team would sign him to about the same kind of cash as he's making now.

The thing is this, whenever someone has been around that could actually take his job away, he's played well. In the few times over the past couple of seasons when Hill actually kind of hit well, it has always led to Soto suddenly getting exceptionally hot.

So, if you get someone good enough to challenge him... he either begins to play as he's shown he's capable of... or you have an option to reasonably replace him with. Don't really see how this is a bad thing, to be honest.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, I just don't think that is what is behind Soto's hitting patterns.

As for the arby stuff, IIRC Brian Bruney lost his case in 2010 because of an injury.

Your theory just doesn't make sense. Last year, Soto was the best offensive catcher in baseball, which is outstanding, but he didn't have anyone on his tail. He had Koyie Hill, who was absolutely terrible. In 09, Koyie Hill was actually decent, but Soto wasn't very good. In 08, he has Hank White, who was meh. I just don't see the correlation that you speak of.

Also, I'm not saying that they should lower his salary or anything of the sort, just to be clear.