September Call Ups Thread

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying that is a bad thing, I just don't think that is what is behind Soto's hitting patterns.

As for the arby stuff, IIRC Brian Bruney lost his case in 2010 because of an injury.

Your theory just doesn't make sense. Last year, Soto was the best offensive catcher in baseball, which is outstanding, but he didn't have anyone on his tail. He had Koyie Hill, who was absolutely terrible. In 09, Koyie Hill was actually decent, but Soto wasn't very good. In 08, he has Hank White, who was meh. I just don't see the correlation that you speak of.

Also, I'm not saying that they should lower his salary or anything of the sort, just to be clear.

Best offensive catcher in baseball last year? Really? I'd rank him 4th... and barely that.

.280./393/.497/.890 17 HR, 53 RBI, 47 Runs in 105 games... This is actually a decent year for Soto.... and yet Brian McCann won the silver slugger in the NL during a DOWN season (.269/.375/.453/.828 21 HR 77 RBI 63 Runs in 143 games). Did you forget about the RoY Buster Posey (.305/.357/.505/.862 18 HR 67 RBI 58 Runs in 108 games)? How about that guy in Minnesota...what's his name again... the guy that the Twins picked over Prior... Mauer or something like that (.327/.402/.469/.871 9 HR 75 RBI 88 Runs 137 games)? All three of those guys had better offensive seasons... unless you are only looking at OPS... or some sabermetric that no one actually pays attention to. The sad thing is, it took down years for both McCann and Mauer for Soto to even be considered in the same breath as them. Also, John Buck had a season that you could say was just as good as Soto's.

Soto's best portions of last season were in April (coming off of a ST where Castillo out performed both Soto and Hill, but was still a guarantee to be optioned... and then came out strong for Iowa in April, and Hill was hitting over .290 through most of the month). Then again in July, when there were rumors of the Cubs possibly picking up a solid vet catcher (Pudge being one name that was bandied about until it was obvious the Cubs became sellers) as a backup to him.

Soto in 2008 was a rookie trying to earn his spot... it was the last time he was ever in a position to not be the starting C, but hey, I already addressed this before.

BTW, Bruney didn't lose his case in 2010 because of injury. He lost it because his agent screwed up and tried to compare him to Bobby Seay (who actually made the arbiters look foolish in awarding him his request in 2008) ... and both Nationals RP that were up for arbitration that year lost because the Nationals put up better arguments.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best offensive catcher in baseball last year? Really? I'd rank him 4th... and barely that.

.280./393/.497/.890 17 HR, 53 RBI, 47 Runs in 105 games... This is actually a decent year for Soto.... and yet Brian McCann won the silver slugger in the NL during a DOWN season (.269/.375/.453/.828 21 HR 77 RBI 63 Runs in 143 games). Did you forget about the RoY Buster Posey (.305/.357/.505/.862 18 HR 67 RBI 58 Runs in 108 games)? How about that guy in Minnesota...what's his name again... the guy that the Twins picked over Prior... Mauer or something like that (.327/.402/.469/.871 9 HR 75 RBI 88 Runs 137 games)? All three of those guys had better offensive seasons... unless you are only looking at OPS... or some sabermetric that no one actually pays attention to. The sad thing is, it took down years for both McCann and Mauer for Soto to even be considered in the same breath as them. Also, John Buck had a season that you could say was just as good as Soto's.

Soto's best portions of last season were in April (coming off of a ST where Castillo out performed both Soto and Hill, but was still a guarantee to be optioned... and then came out strong for Iowa in April, and Hill was hitting over .290 through most of the month). Then again in July, when there were rumors of the Cubs possibly picking up a solid vet catcher (Pudge being one name that was bandied about until it was obvious the Cubs became sellers) as a backup to him.

Soto in 2008 was a rookie trying to earn his spot... it was the last time he was ever in a position to not be the starting C, but hey, I already addressed this before.

BTW, Bruney didn't lose his case in 2010 because of injury. He lost it because his agent screwed up and tried to compare him to Bobby Seay (who actually made the arbiters look foolish in awarding him his request in 2008) ... and both Nationals RP that were up for arbitration that year lost because the Nationals put up better arguments.

So we shouldn't use OPS, wOBA, or wRC+, why? Is it that they correlate to runs scored at a much higher rate than every stat you named?

I don't have the time to go into much detail here, but he was pretty much given the starting C spot in 2008, unless you actually think Hank White and Koyie Hill were gonna get his job, which is just absurd.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soto was the best offensive catcher by OPS, wOBA, and even I believe second in wRAA.

If you want to use team stats like RBI and runs sure he wasn't up there but in terms of per plate value he was the best. In terms of overall value only Mauer could be argued to be better.

Wether or not these were "down" years for these other players is well irrelevant. I doubt CO said he would take Soto over these players he simply said he was the best offensive catcher in baseball, which he was.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If everything goes how Soto career is going then keep him for 1 more year:

1st year: Good
2nd year: Bad
3rd years: Good
4th year: bad
5th year: Due to be good lol

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson is the future, Colvin is not considered in the same category.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If everything goes how Soto career is going then keep him for 1 more year:

1st year: Good
2nd year: Bad
3rd years: Good
4th year: bad
5th year: Due to be good lol

He's like the Star Trek movie of catchers.

This year was Star Trek V. Next year will be Star Trek VI which was much better than V.