September roster?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Theo said that they are looking at Robel Garcia at AAA. He is a SH. Plays 2B/3B. 19 HR over all. .294 BA .366 OBA.

Might end up a decent 2B option/Iead off. Nice story like Bote's if it happens. He has been kicked around.

Kimbrel is on his last game at Iowa. So he is next.

Morrow is back on the mound throwing.

Hendricks is throwing again. Theo said time table is ASG.

Edwards is getting close to rehab.

Same with Nico.

So I really do believe that they should do nothing and let their players get healthy.

Alzolay is pitching Wednesday. If he goes lights out you can ink him in the rotation. That pushes either Q or Darvish into the pen. And honestly it don't matter which one at this point. Ryan has stepped up as a quality lefty. They have RH depth after Kimbrel gets up.

I see it as the roaster could end up.

Kimbrel 9th
Strop and Cishek set up.
Ryan main lefty
Kintzler MR with lead.
Chatwood and Montgomery as piggyback guys to give the pen a off day.

Leaves 1 spot for either Darvish or Q

Rotation

Hamels
Hendricks
Lester
Alzolay
Darvish or Q.

Even then you could do.

Hamels-> reg pen day
Hendricks-> Montgomery getting long relief.
Lester -> reg pen day.
Alzolay -> Chatwood getting multi innings
Darvish and Q piggy back starter depends on the team's line up composition.

But the 9th then can go between Strop and Kimbrel to keep them fresh. Cishek would get used with Kintzler in the 8th with the lead.

Just a thought to manage that many starters and trying to maximize their utility.

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Theo said that they are looking at Robel Garcia at AAA. He is a SH. Plays 2B/3B. 19 HR over all. .294 BA .366 OBA.

Might end up a decent 2B option/Iead off. Nice story like Bote's if it happens. He has been kicked around.

Kimbrel is on his last game at Iowa. So he is next.

Morrow is back on the mound throwing.

Hendricks is throwing again. Theo said time table is ASG.

Edwards is getting close to rehab.

Same with Nico.

So I really do believe that they should do nothing and let their players get healthy.

Alzolay is pitching Wednesday. If he goes lights out you can ink him in the rotation. That pushes either Q or Darvish into the pen. And honestly it don't matter which one at this point. Ryan has stepped up as a quality lefty. They have RH depth after Kimbrel gets up.

I see it as the roaster could end up.

Kimbrel 9th
Strop and Cishek set up.
Ryan main lefty
Kintzler MR with lead.
Chatwood and Montgomery as piggyback guys to give the pen a off day.

Leaves 1 spot for either Darvish or Q

Rotation

Hamels
Hendricks
Lester
Alzolay
Darvish or Q.

Even then you could do.

Hamels-> reg pen day
Hendricks-> Montgomery getting long relief.
Lester -> reg pen day.
Alzolay -> Chatwood getting multi innings
Darvish and Q piggy back starter depends on the team's line up composition.

But the 9th then can go between Strop and Kimbrel to keep them fresh. Cishek would get used with Kintzler in the 8th with the lead.

Just a thought to manage that many starters and trying to maximize their utility.

Any chance we see a healthy Nico this season or is he done?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Any chance we see a healthy Nico this season or is he done?

He is going to start rehab soon. Which most likely will be at Bosie

But the injury updates

Epstein noted that right-hander Kyle Hendricks (10-day injured list, right shoulder inflammation) threw 15 pitches in a light mound session on Monday. Hendricks might be cleared to throw a full bullpen session later this week, and Epstein said that a return "around the All-Star break" is a possibility, barring any setbacks.

Righty Carl Edwards Jr. (10-day IL, left thoracic strain) has built up to 120 feet in long-toss and is closing in on a mound session, per Epstein. The Cubs will want Edwards to complete a handful of bullpen workouts before building a game progression, which will likely include a rehab assignment

Reliever Brandon Morrow (60-day IL, right elbow surgery) has completed two mound workouts in Arizona and is scheduled to throw another one in the next couple days. Said Epstein: We'll keep it going slow with him, but it's certainly good news that he's up off the mound and feeling really good."

Epstein indicated that shortstop prospect Nico Hoerner (broken left wrist) is working through baseball activities in Arizona and might be cleared to begin rehab games there by the end of the week. Hoerner is the Cubs' No. 1 prospect, per MLB Pipeline.

last notes

Triple-A Iowa infielder Robel Garcia was released by the Indians in March 2014 and he was out of affiliated baseball until the Cubs signed him to a Minor League contract in October. Last year, the switch-hitter suited up for UnipolSai Bologna in the Italian Baseball League. In 65 games between Double-A and Triple-A this year, Garcia has hit .294 with 19 homers and a .981 OPS in 65 games, while mostly splitting time between second and third.

The 26-year-old Garcia, who hit his 13th homer at Triple-A on Monday, has the Cubs' attention.

"You've got to pay attention to guys performing at the level that he is and offers the different skills that he has," Epstein said. "Anyone at the Triple-A level is certainly on the radar screen. Yeah, we've spent a lot of time watching him, evaluating him, talking about him. We're looking forward to the next phases of his development."

With Kimbrel coming soon, and pitchers such as Hendricks and Edwards on the comeback trail, the Cubs could have a roster crunch in their future.

"It's a wonderful problem," Maddon said. "If you can have a problem of too much pitching, my God, I'll take that every day and twice on Sundays. I'll take that. We have tried to attempt to figure this out right now and, weirdly, I've talked about this before, baseball has its own way of figuring things out."

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If they cannot get anyone else, I think Nico will be here to be that pinch runner guy. Pretty sure the Royals will deal both their speedsters, just dont think either will be here. I dont know if Nico will be playing the field in a pinch though.
If Ian Happ is still here, he should be back in september.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
If they cannot get anyone else, I think Nico will be here to be that pinch runner guy. Pretty sure the Royals will deal both their speedsters, just dont think either will be here. I dont know if Nico will be playing the field in a pinch though.
If Ian Happ is still here, he should be back in september.
Do you think Hoerner will be the 2nd baseman and lead off next year? Do you think Robel is trade bait this year? Seems like they can’t keep both Robel and Nico and also with Bote and Russell too

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Do you think Hoerner will be the 2nd baseman and lead off next year? Do you think Robel is trade bait this year? Seems like they can’t keep both Robel and Nico and also with Bote and Russell too

Garcia is a part of the discussion. But I doubt that they take away at bats from Bote and Russell over it.

The bigger problem is Cargo and Almora. That has been pathetic. Which was funny how the idea of getting Nico some action in the OF. I can tell that they are more pleased with the IF right now and going forward. Garcia would be more taking over Descanasio's role.

So that might end up a target this year. Upgrade Cargo. Even though they would probably prefer Cargo just hitting or Zobrist returning.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
Garcia is a part of the discussion. But I doubt that they take away at bats from Bote and Russell over it.

The bigger problem is Cargo and Almora. That has been pathetic. Which was funny how the idea of getting Nico some action in the OF. I can tell that they are more pleased with the IF right now and going forward. Garcia would be more taking over Descanasio's role.

So that might end up a target this year. Upgrade Cargo. Even though they would probably prefer Cargo just hitting or Zobrist returning.
This is where whit merrifield would be perfect and fill a big void since he can hit, steals bases and can play 2nd and RF and is much younger than Zobrist and more productive than Zo and Cargo. Would love to have him at leadoff and being that versatile player we need now

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is where whit merrifield would be perfect and fill a big void since he can hit, steals bases and can play 2nd and RF and is much younger than Zobrist and more productive than Zo and Cargo. Would love to have him at leadoff and being that versatile player we need now
He has 4 years of control. We arent getting him

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is isn’t untouchable according to the royals and 4 yrs controlled is even more incentive to go after him
What do you think we have to offer? We would have to include Nico who is probably less than a year away for a guy who is 29. I highly doubt we go that route. Theo like to take flyers and our minors arnt deep enough.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
What do you think we have to offer? We would have to include Nico who is probably less than a year away for a guy who is 29. I highly doubt we go that route. Theo like to take flyers and our minors arnt deep enough.
Some combination of happ, Russell, Bote, robel,
Chatwood or Montgomery possibly to go with 2 of the above position players mentioned

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some combination of happ, Russell, Bote, robel,
Chatwood or Montgomery possibly to go with 2 of the above position players mentioned
Thats not getting him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Try Nico, Amaya and Marquez.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
Try Nico, Amaya and Marquez.
Um... no, not for Whitfield, maybe for Lindor or Lindor and Hand but the Indians won’t be selling now. These teams ask for way way too much for guys they can’t afford or aren’t in their future plans, ridiculous!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Um... no, not for Whitfield, maybe for Lindor or Lindor and Hand but the Indians won’t be selling now. These teams ask for way way too much for guys they can’t afford or aren’t in their future plans, ridiculous!

Typical. Over value 2 prospects that are borderline and a pitcher off the list.

But you toss out names that make no sense for the Royals but guys that you would like to see gone.

This is why we catch shit as Cubs fans. Not even realistic expectations.

choyne35

Liked Posts:

But you toss out names that make no sense for the Royals but guys that you would like to see gone.

Typical arrogant asshole that thinks he knows everything about the cubs and baseball and probably never played the game himself past little league . I would love for you to stand 60 feet, 6 inches away and let me throw my fastball at your ear hole ?. Anyways I believe Nico is going to be very good and fairly soon so I wouldn’t consider him borderline at all and yes the royals have said they want pitching and chatwood or Montgomery would equate to what they are looking for. Plus you throw in major league talent already in Russell and Bote or whoever that’s young and has major league experience should be enough for one freaking player that is good but come on now Merrifield isn’t some big time all star so it shouldn’t take your 3 best prospects to land him

choyne35

Liked Posts:

I was reading just the other day that the Mets could get as high as a
Teams 7th best prospect for Zach Wheeler, I know our farm system isn’t all that great but come on just a 7th best prospect which might be the equivalent to the cubs 2nd best prospect would land a pretty good starting pitcher! So the 3 best prospects for one guy isn’t realistic if you ask me unless that player is Lindor or someone of his talent

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was reading just the other day that the Mets could get as high as a
Teams 7th best prospect for Zach Wheeler, I know our farm system isn’t all that great but come on just a 7th best prospect which might be the equivalent to the cubs 2nd best prospect would land a pretty good starting pitcher! So the 3 best prospects for one guy isn’t realistic if you ask me unless that player is Lindor or someone of his talent

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would do Scooter Garnett for Happ strait. Scooter is hitting FA. Happ has control where the Reds can fix him with out the winning need in his face.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Is isn’t untouchable according to the royals and 4 yrs controlled is even more incentive to go after him
Who do we give up for that though? I don't think Theo is interested in depleting our farm further.