Should Bears target an OLB in free agency?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
pace usually fills in the holes in fa whether the fa is significant or not and draft bpa. So we will see at least one olb in fa.
The level of fa will give us a clear indication how much they value Floyd

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Bears can get a guard in the draft and a serviceable RT in free agency.

Draft: OG, TE
Free Agency: OLB, RT
So draft the weak classes OG and TE and sign a Weak tackle selection from FA. Could you at least do some research before u post ?

Mattracer82

Liked Posts:
Spend the money on Clowney, Brandan Scheriff and fill in the rest.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Problem is....an OLB can't help us score more than a td and a field goal or so per game. Cool, grab a OLB, but our D isn't the problem.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If they don't trade or release Floyd they won't sign more than a journeyman, Lynch type.

If they do trade or release Floyd it's a very high priority position where they will spend a significant amount.

I think either way they will probably try to draft one. Solid draft for EDGE.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Defense was top 10. Offense was 29th. I hope it's guards and tackles instead of pass rushers.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
If they don't trade or release Floyd they won't sign more than a journeyman, Lynch type.

If they do trade or release Floyd it's a very high priority position where they will spend a significant amount.

I think either way they will probably try to draft one. Solid draft for EDGE.
I have a feeling they are going to keep Floyd around. For whatever reason they seem enamored with him. My guess is he gets an extension to adjust his cap hit. With Fuller and Jackson both getting extensions/restructured it seems they are trying to open up some cap space.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dump Gabriel, spend money on TE, RG, T and possible a speedy different wide out.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So draft the weak classes OG and TE and sign a Weak tackle selection from FA. Could you at least do some research before u post ?

Ignore that hype it's not worth listening to they said DeShaun Watson & Patrick Mahomes was a weak QB classes while Mariota & Winston was one of the best before the draft. It's all stupid hype.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Bears can get a guard in the draft and a serviceable RT in free agency.

Draft: OG, TE
Free Agency: OLB, RT

why are you getting a RT in free agency, massie is not going anywhere with his recent extension and he can't play LT.

As for floyd, unless he agrees to a much lower deal he's gone,
cheaper options - jpp, golden, quinn, ansah, irvin
high priced options - barrett, judon, fowler jr, clowney

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
why are you getting a RT in free agency, massie is not going anywhere with his recent extension and he can't play LT.

As for floyd, unless he agrees to a much lower deal he's gone,
cheaper options - jpp, golden, quinn, ansah, irvin
high priced options - barrett, judon, fowler jr, clowney

Because Bobby Massie is terrible it's true we are stuck with him for another year but that awful play needs to be replaced.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Bears need to find replacement for Lynch, and probably a replacement for Floyd.

I like Jamie Collins or Jordan Jenkins as potential replacements for Floyd.

I like Jeremiah Attaochu as potential replacement for Lynch.

Budget option: Can probably get Bruce Irvin and Attaochu for less money combined than Floyds 5th year option.

Edit: Then sign Thuney for RG, draft Becton or Wanogho with the first pick. RG is shored up, and you have a talented Rookie to push the starting OTs and replace the worst if necessary.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Because Bobby Massie is terrible it's true we are stuck with him for another year but that awful play needs to be replaced.

i think massie will bounce back, he's nowhere as bad as leno was...a serviceable guy will cost at least 5 mill, add that to massie's 8 mill cap hit...i dont see pace investing 13 mill into the RT spot for average play.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I'm sick of Floyd underperforming while Mack is fighting double teams. I'd rather pay someone else the fifteen or whatever Floyd is due next year.

Free agents 2019 sacks:

Leonard Floyd: 3 sacks
Robert Quinn: 9.5 sacks
Dante Fowler: 7.5 sacks
Whitney Mercilus: 5 sacks, 1 int
Shaq Barrett: 14.5 sacks, 1 int
Matthew Judon: 7 sacks
Bud Dupree: 8.5 sacks
Bruce Irvin: 5.5 sacks

Agreed.

Matthew Judon would be interesting

Pace should have signed either Shaquil Barrett or (one not on this list) Markus Golden last year instead of Aaron Lynch. They were both cheap. I am sure Barrett will be franchise tagged or signed to a big deal. Maybe there is a chance with Golden who is very much a 3-4 OLB.

Judon or Golden for me and I'd be very happy with either over Floyd. Then Alex Highsmith in the draft.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Bears need to find replacement for Lynch, and probably a replacement for Floyd.

I like Jamie Collins or Jordan Jenkins as potential replacements for Floyd.

I like Jeremiah Attaochu as potential replacement for Lynch.

Budget option: Can probably get Bruce Irvin and Attaochu for less money combined than Floyds 5th year option.

Edit: Then sign Thuney for RG, draft Becton or Wanogho with the first pick. RG is shored up, and you have a talented Rookie to push the starting OTs and replace the worst if necessary.

I like don't like the replacements for Floyd. Judon or Golden for me.

Agreed on Attaochu. He's another guy who would fit the Bears 3-4 scheme and likely be more effective than Lynch. We should have signed him a year or two ago whenever he was in FA.

I'd like Peat or Scherff in FA to fill the RG spot.

Mekhi Becton would be awesome in the 2nd round in the draft. Lucas Niang is another who is very effective in the run game.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Judon is going to get something like $60mil/4 years. I don't think that's feasible for the Bears.

Golden is someone to keep an eye on. I think Vic Beasley, Robert Quinn, Bruce Irvin are also lower coast/shorter contract options.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I like don't like the replacements for Floyd. Judon or Golden for me.

Agreed on Attaochu. He's another guy who would fit the Bears 3-4 scheme and likely be more effective than Lynch. We should have signed him a year or two ago whenever he was in FA.

I'd like Peat or Scherff in FA to fill the RG spot.

Mekhi Becton would be awesome in the 2nd round in the draft. Lucas Niang is another who is very effective in the run game.
Judon is going to get Za'Darius SMith money at $14m+. Collins and Jenkins both are going to get less than $10M a year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ryan Kerrigan if he gets cut