Should Dale Sveum Stay or Should He go?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I kinda see your point man. The braves manager has emotion and is engaged. Girardi is engaged. A's manager has emotion. Btw im not talking about lou piniella type of fire. I just think a good manager is someone who has some type of emotion and is actively engaged.

Sveum has gotten tossed and has showed emotion as well. The problem with baseball is that the same presence that would get praise when you are winning looks dead and uninterested when a team is consistently losing.

To take this the OP, I don't think Girardi is really on the Cubs radar at this point. I am not saying that Girardi is a bad manager or isn't an upgrade. But I am not positive that it really would translate into more than a couple wins at most with the roster as is. I agree with Cubs Den that a guy like Mike Maddux is much more on their radar than a Girardi type. Either way I don't see them making a move this offseason. I think they give Sveum a little bit more to work with and see what the results are. If the results are in the same ballpark than he is gone. If there is a dramatic improvement he buys a couple year extension.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He's going to be gone. This year or next...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You rather have some lazy ass emotionless man running a team? How can you play for someone who isn't happy when we win. He is the same when we win or lose. I can't fucking stand those people. At least Trestman interacts with people and is engaged. I always viewed sveum as the total opposite of that.

I don't know Dale well enough to know whether or not he is emotionless or for that matter a "lazy ass". Over the course of 162 games, I don't need an emotional roller coaster for a manager. As dabynsky comments..."it's a grind."

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Congrats Theo on a job will done...Cubs have lost a mere 50 home games. renew your season tix early.

Cubs manager Dale Sveum has to get bounced. Lets get real. Theo Baseball needs a scapegoat.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Congrats Theo on a job will done...Cubs have lost a mere 50 home games. renew your season tix early.

Cubs manager Dale Sveum has to get bounced. Lets get real. Theo Baseball needs a scapegoat.

No dont. So I can move up on the list for 2015 :smug:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Why would the Cubs even bother changing managers, when 2014 has already been relegated as the final year of re-building/stockpiling ML talent?.

Haugh has it right in today's Trib, makes no sense switching now.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Interested to see. Honestly no strong opinion on this either way. If he goes I'll be alright, if he stays I guess that's fine too. He hasn't had the roster to succeed but it has been disappointing seeing how Rizzo and Castro have regressed under him

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would the Cubs even bother changing managers, when 2014 has already been relegated as the final year of re-building/stockpiling ML talent?.

Haugh has it right in today's Trib, makes no sense switching now.

Sense is that the young core players are regressing. Castro, Rizzo, Shark all getting worse. Those are suppose to be the building blocks with more kids coming. I dont want Dale managing kids when its showing young kids gettin worse with him around

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
I don't hate Sveum but I agree with others that players have regressed and I'm definitely not a fan of a lot of his decision making. I think it's silly however to want him gone on account of a lack of hustle.

Unlike some of you I think this is the perfect time to get Girardi. Sure it won't have a huge effect on the standings next year and it's true that we're still a couple of years away for winning. But we are about to start to bring guys like Beaz and Bryant up and Rizzo and Castro can use the help from a guy who I consider a great manager and baseball person. Simply put, if you sign him to a four year deal he could definitely be coaching and be a huge part of a contending team by year three. Theo should believe in that since he'll be lucky to be showing anything by the fourth or fifth year of his five year deal. It's a process right?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Sense is that the young core players are regressing. Castro, Rizzo, Shark all getting worse. Those are suppose to be the building blocks with more kids coming. I dont want Dale managing kids when its showing young kids gettin worse with him around

If he's ruining prospects, and I haven't bothered watching/reading enough to even begin to form any opinion...would he not already have been canned?.

I don't think Epstein would allow that type of counter-productivity.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Some things are working and some are not. The main problem I'm seeing with the hitters is that they are trying to force players to adapt to their style. Now with a transition of talent and management this should be expected. The way they should handle the situation is continue to draft hitters who profile as the types wanted. Take each hold over and develop them to their strengths. If they lack talent cut. If they have talent but do not fit the profile use as trade bait. But over all let the hitters be themselves. Theo finally figured this out with Castro and Castro started to pick it up after he was allowed to be himself vs a profile. So over all my take is Dale is a company man. Company want to use saber this saber that to dictate. As in shifts etc. the problem is there has to be a counter point to all of this or a old school. As is I've been out there playing for years. And the balls and creditantials to have a voice. In other words they need a Lou type that is old school that will use saber stuff as info vs basicing his teaching off of it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Theo finally figured this out with Castro and Castro started to pick it up after he was allowed to be himself vs a profile.

I keep reading this, so sincerely when did this happen? Since Mid July Castro's numbers have been very consistent it would seem. He also looked to have his best numbers in April and May.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not back cataloging the article on cubs.com. Anyways it goes beyond the numbers and it takes time to unlearn the Cubs way force fed to him. I expect him to see better results next year by being himself.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Old phrase: if it ain't broke don't fix it.