Should Lovie be Fired?

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
yup....we should get rid of the coach...and the QB...and prolly Urlacher and Peppers, too...they never won a SB in their career...I just hope we keep the o-line. Real promise there.

Like think you trying to pull my leg

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
As much as I can't stand Lovie and some of this idiotic play calling, he don't deserve to be fired. He has done good with what he has. A small extension like what was said before me is not out of the question.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
2 NFC championship appearances and 1 super bowl in 5 years. id say he's doing his job. a short term extension would be perfect

Lovie Smith=Marty Schottenheimer...can lead a team to greener pastures and that's it.

McCarthy didn't have to out-coach Smith, Lovie did a nice job of that on his own...starting with the opening kick-off.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually, I find the bitching over the coin toss idiotic. We are a Defensive Team. Makes perfect sense to trust in our D on the opening drive to the game. Even had we received it wouldnt have made a difference.

Dr. KickurButkus

Liked Posts:
Take's the team to the NFC Championship and you idiots still bark to can him.

This fan base may be the most Special person in all of professional sports.

I find it hard to fire Lovie for not winning the NFC, but he did make some huge blunders in this game. For one why wasn't Hester back there on kickoffs until the second half? Why the heck was Todd Collins ahead of Canie on the depth chart? The timeout? Still Lovie did a really good job pulling all of those coaching personalities together to win 11 games and host an NFC title!

However, it's Jerry Angelo giving Lovie a contract which means Angelo will likely get an extension as well! I can say I'm not too thrilled with having Angelo around for another 5 years.

Officiating was absolutely horrible!

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Angelo was already extended to 2013? Would you want the two to match?

Dr. KickurButkus

Liked Posts:
I thought Angelo was already extended to 2013? Would you want the two to match?

I thought I just heard on "the Score" that Angelo is not extended yet (I could be wrong), but if he is that sucks! Bringing in Peppers was a great thing and got the moneys worth out of him in my opinion, but most of Angelo's draft picks and roster moves have been dreadful!

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Actually, I find the bitching over the coin toss idiotic. We are a Defensive Team. Makes perfect sense to trust in our D on the opening drive to the game. Even had we received it wouldnt have made a difference.

You don't put the hottest QB in the league on the field unless absolutely necessary. What good could have come out of deferring the ball, a turnover?. You could have had the ball anyways and rested your D.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with putting the D out there first. It just didn't work. If you put the offense out first, the crowd has to quiet down (so Cutler can hear the play called and the players can hear the signals). If your O goes 3 and out, you take the crowd (and much of your home field advantage) out of the game.

If the Defense had forced a 3 and out the crowd would have been nuts, your offense probably would have started with better field position after a punt, and a quick score would have given the Bears a ton of momentum.

Unfortunately the move backfired, but if you're Lovie Smith and you're playing a team that you gave up an average of 13.5 ppg to and scored an average of 11.5 ppg against, who do you have more confidence in; Your 4th ranked defense or your 21st ranked offense?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The Chargers fired Schottenheimer a few years ago after he went 14-2.

Yes but the situation was because he lost a consecutive 1st playoff game and the trend in his career has been losing playoff games because he calls the games to conservatively. His is something along the lines of 4-13 all time in playoff games.

Lovie does not equal Marty. Lovie is 3-3 and his coaching or game decisions weren't the major losing factors in playoff games. In fact his adjusting helped the team against GB. Marty is still a better more reputable Coach at this point than Lovie but is far even more predictable and conservative than Lovie actually is, in this case perception is not reality.

Other than the Seattle time out stupidly thinking they would punt to Hester with 4 seconds left, he hasn't done a lot to even closely cost his team a playoff game. People incorrectly claim they didn't adjust against Steve Smith, they did but still failed, that's why they drafted two speedy DBs that following draft, they needed it back there to replace Mike Green.

As others brought up, Yes Angelo's extension already goes to 2013. That was the extension he got after the super bowl season, he isn't likely to be extended, that's just an argument pessimists and arrogant posters bring up to c bash the team and claim how the team should of failed for the greater good.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I agree with putting the D out there first. It just didn't work. If you put the offense out first, the crowd has to quiet down (so Cutler can hear the play called and the players can hear the signals). If your O goes 3 and out, you take the crowd (and much of your home field advantage) out of the game.

If the Defense had forced a 3 and out the crowd would have been nuts, your offense probably would have started with better field position after a punt, and a quick score would have given the Bears a ton of momentum.

Unfortunately the move backfired, but if you're Lovie Smith and you're playing a team that you gave up an average of 13.5 ppg to and scored an average of 11.5 ppg against, who do you have more confidence in; Your 4th ranked defense or your 21st ranked offense?

That's a lot of if's, but we all have the luxury of second-guessing.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
That's a lot of if's, but we all have the luxury of second-guessing.

But your fine with second guessing? You put your first foot forward. Besides, the decision helped them because if their offense ran like its first possession did either way, Packers get the ball at the second half opposed to the Bears having that opportunity to keep the team in the game.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't put the hottest QB in the league on the field unless absolutely necessary. What good could have come out of deferring the ball, a turnover?. You could have had the ball anyways and rested your D.
Rodgers looked hot at 1st, but he wasnt as dominant as many like to hype him. Didnt he end with a QB rating of 75ish? He ran for a TD, thats basicly it. He may be great in other games, but he aint shit vs our D. Trust in our D has always been that way. Why doubt it then?