1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
my dad is a truck driver and is going through Texas this morning and called me saying ESPN radio in Dallas is talking how Cubs and Tex are talking about a deal that would send Soriano to TEX for Young. ESPN in Texas saying the Cubs would be a perfect match for Young. They want a DH type hitter back and they know they will have to take someone bad contract to trade Young. I would jump on this so fast. Young would be a major upgrade at 2B and put up better numbers then soriano. Then the OF you could have Colvin in LF, Byrd CF, Fuku RF.......Then when Jackson ready to come up move Byrd to RF.....

I've actually heard some rumblings about that too.

Except Jackson would probably man RF, with Byrd in CF IMO.

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
my dad is a truck driver and is going through Texas this morning and called me saying ESPN radio in Dallas is talking how Cubs and Tex are talking about a deal that would send Soriano to TEX for Young. ESPN in Texas saying the Cubs would be a perfect match for Young. They want a DH type hitter back and they know they will have to take someone bad contract to trade Young. I would jump on this so fast. Young would be a major upgrade at 2B and put up better numbers then soriano. Then the OF you could have Colvin in LF, Byrd CF, Fuku RF.......Then when Jackson ready to come up move Byrd to RF.....

If this is the deal that could happen i would freaking love it, but it seems too good to be true more of a pipe dream. Anybody know why he wants out of texas so badly? I mean they just played for a WS title, and the cubs are nowhere close to that caliber. I know they lost Cliff Lee but they still are a good team with a lot of talent.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If this is the deal that could happen i would freaking love it, but it seems too good to be true more of a pipe dream. Anybody know why he wants out of texas so badly? I mean they just played for a WS title, and the cubs are nowhere close to that caliber. I know they lost Cliff Lee but they still are a good team with a lot of talent.

They told him that they weren't trying to trade him and then he found out that they supposedly lied to him.

BTW, Sori's WAR was greater than Young's.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:

Texas has jerked Young around quite a bit the last few years. They keep switching his position and now this trade stuff. I think he's been pretty patient and may have just finally gotten to him.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we got Young (now) and then Pujols (next off-season), well, we'd be extremely scary.

Young isn't that great, JNTG. He's 34 and has OPS'd over .800 once in the last 4 years. He's making a shitload of money, too.

I've actually heard some rumblings about that too.

Except Jackson would probably man RF, with Byrd in CF IMO.

That is pure bullshit. We have this guy named Tyler Colvin...

They told him that they weren't trying to trade him and then he found out that they supposedly lied to him.

BTW, Sori's WAR was greater than Young's.

Irrelevant, Sori's contract is worse than Young's.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would love to get Michael Young. Especially in a deal for Sori. But it seems a little bit to good to be true. Young didn't list the Cubs as a team he wants to be traded to.(8 team list?). And we would have to give up more then Soriano now he sucks so bad

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would love to get Michael Young. Especially in a deal for Sori. But it seems a little bit to good to be true. Young didn't list the Cubs as a team he wants to be traded to.(8 team list?). And we would have to give up more then Soriano now he sucks so bad

How does Soriano suck so bad, but Michael Young doesn't?

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
How does Soriano suck so bad, but Michael Young doesn't?

Young can play basically the whole infield, Soriano can barely play left field. Young has decent power, decent speed, a solid glove, and has a career BA over .300 (Yeah I know). Soriano has power, no speed anymore no real glove just a cannon for an arm and can barely hit 260 anymore

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Young can play basically the whole infield, Soriano can barely play left field. Young has decent power, decent speed, a solid glove, and has a career BA over .300 (Yeah I know). Soriano has power, no speed anymore no real glove just a cannon for an arm and can barely hit 260 anymore

Pena can't hit 200, why did we sign him? :eyeroll:

How does Young have a solid glove, yet Soriano doesn't have any? Young sucks. He doesn't do anything, at least Soriano is one of the top LFers(LF not OF, LFers all pretty much suck). Soriano CAN BE worth something with his glove, whereas Young really can't and hasn't since 2002.

Soriano's wOBA:
.353 - 2010
.377 - 2006

Michael Young's wOBA:
.335 - 2010
.352 - 2006

Michael Young is quite a bit worse with the bat.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
There is no way the Cubs will even consider Micheal Young. His contract is rediic. Yeah, so is Soriano's but Soriano is more flexible then Young is. Soriano can play left field or even move back to 2B. Young, is very limited. He barely can play 3B, which i don't think they'd have him do if he were to stay in Texas, and would play 1B and DH.

On top of that, I highly doubt the Rangers would want Soriano back.

Also, ESPNDallas.com said this-

Sources have indicated the Rangers have spoken off and on to several teams this winter about trading Young. The most prominent club involved in those talks has been Colorado. But those discussions appear to have fizzled during the weekend.

A source confirmed that the other seven teams are the Los Angeles Angels, San Diego Padres, New York Yankees, Minnesota Twins, Houston Astros, St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Dodgers.

link- Texas Rangers' Michael Young says he requested trade because he was 'misled and manipulated' - ESPN Dallas

Besides the Cards, who obviously would use him at either 3B or 2B, the other teams have a glaring hole at 1B, DH or are just a free spending team.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no way the Cubs will even consider Micheal Young. His contract is rediic. Yeah, so is Soriano's but Soriano is more flexible then Young is. Soriano can play left field or even move back to 2B. Young, is very limited. He barely can play 3B, which i don't think they'd have him do if he were to stay in Texas, and would play 1B and DH.

On top of that, I highly doubt the Rangers would want Soriano back.

Also, ESPNDallas.com said this-

link- Texas Rangers' Michael Young says he requested trade because he was 'misled and manipulated' - ESPN Dallas

Besides the Cards, who obviously would use him at either 3B or 2B, the other teams have a glaring hole at 1B, DH or are just a free spending team.

No. Just a flat out no. 2nd base? stop.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ya, Sori can't play 2B. Even though he did play a little bit of 2B and 3B in 2009 (for VERY small periods, like, less than an inning. Thank God no balls came to him.)

CO, I looked up Young's stats and stuff after I posted that, so I got the idea.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Rockies out, BTW.

The Rockies are no longer among the potential trade partners to land the Rangers' Michael Young, tweets Troy Renck of the Denver Post.

A potential deal between the Rockies and Rangers was hampered not necessarily by money, blogs Renck, but by the Rangers' need to acquire a "bigger name player" than Eric Young Jr., whom they had targeted earlier this offseason. Further complicating matters was Vladimir Guerrero's recent agreement on a contract with the Orioles, Renck notes, leaving Texas less inclined to compromise on its financial or prospect demands in a Young swap without a suitable replacement to handle their DH duties (Twitter links). The Rangers' plan was, Renck notes, to spend the money they saved on Michael Young's offloaded contract on a DH type, but that option has dried up.

Potential suitors for Young seem to be dwindling, and one has to wonder whether a deal will get done as this situation grows increasingly tricky, as Renck tweets. It may simply come down to how hard the Rangers try to honor Young's request of a trade, tweets Buster Olney.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I am going to sit here and say I agree with you on that moving Soriano to 2B is a good move and infact I would move him to 2B on the Cubs and here is why:

We all know Soriano is a bad defender at 2B. So lets assume he is the worst 2B in baseball. Lets put him at 10% worse than the worst fielder last year. That puts him at -15 at 2B. Our current 2B is Blake Dewitt Dewitt last year was a -5 at 2B and for his career he is a -9.3 UZR/150 at 2B. So lets put him at -7.5.

Now we look at offense. Soriano last year hit for a .353 wOBA and has a career .357. So lets say he hits .350 this year. Dewitt on the other hand hit .311 last year and is a career .312 so lets be generous and give him a .315 this year. Over 700 PA thats 21.3 extra runs that Soriano would give us. So subtract out the 7.5 runs that Dewitt is better than Soriano and Soriano is still better than Dewitt by 13.8 runs, or almost one and a half wins.

That now opens up LF. Fukudome could slide in there, and they hit almost identical last year and are probably very similar in defense. So really the Cubs just got 1-2 wins better by moving Soriano to 2B.

Not only that but we could have signed a LF'er, that could have made us even better. So moving Soriano to 2B could have easily netted us 3-5 wins. Teams are starting more and more to sacrifice defense at 2B, the Cubs should be thinking the same thing.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am going to sit here and say I agree with you on that moving Soriano to 2B is a good move and infact I would move him to 2B on the Cubs and here is why:

We all know Soriano is a bad defender at 2B. So lets assume he is the worst 2B in baseball. Lets put him at 10% worse than the worst fielder last year. That puts him at -15 at 2B. Our current 2B is Blake Dewitt Dewitt last year was a -5 at 2B and for his career he is a -9.3 UZR/150 at 2B. So lets put him at -7.5.

Now we look at offense. Soriano last year hit for a .353 wOBA and has a career .357. So lets say he hits .350 this year. Dewitt on the other hand hit .311 last year and is a career .312 so lets be generous and give him a .315 this year. Over 700 PA thats 21.3 extra runs that Soriano would give us. So subtract out the 7.5 runs that Dewitt is better than Soriano and Soriano is still better than Dewitt by 13.8 runs, or almost one and a half wins.

That now opens up LF. Fukudome could slide in there, and they hit almost identical last year and are probably very similar in defense. So really the Cubs just got 1-2 wins better by moving Soriano to 2B.

Not only that but we could have signed a LF'er, that could have made us even better. So moving Soriano to 2B could have easily netted us 3-5 wins. Teams are starting more and more to sacrifice defense at 2B, the Cubs should be thinking the same thing.

This post completely changed my opinion on Fonzie to 2B. :clap:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
With the INF D the cubs already have i would be scared if sori played 2B....

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why though? Production is production. Sure the defense gets worse, but the offense gets much better.

Pitching and DEF wins. Rather take the hit on offense then having 60 errors in the IF.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I voted no, but I would accept a trade if we could get rid of Shark. I hate that guy.