Should there be a QB competition?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Look, I am one that believes they catered to Jay his entire career, never put anyone behind him that gave him any thought of losing his job. When they tried it was Campbell after he started the prior year in Oakland, and Jay rarely was anywhere near him on the sidelines.

I was really hoping there is competition in camp. Glennon should have the edge, but he was not allowed to get a playbook when he signed, he just got it when camp started. I do not want a rookie QB starting, but he needs to be engaged and prepare to play on sunday and competition does that.

You look at Goof and Wentz last year, down to Prescott and Wilson and the ones that had an opportunity in camp came out on top.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think for one, the Bears understand that Mitch is going to need some time to adjust. He has two veterans to learn from and he doesn't have the pressure on him to carry a team that's really not great offensively. Second, I think the Bears are banking on Glennon playing well and establishing some trade value. We've seen glimpses of the market with rumors of McCarron, Glennon (going back to last year), JG etc, and a good season from Glennon could net the Bears a 2nd round pick or more.

With Trubs starting only one season in college, I think he's going to need some time. He needs more work under center, and he needs to adjust to NFL defenses and the speed of the game. I think Pace will look to add another starting OT and a dynamic WR next season when the reigns are officially handed to Trubs. He would be coming into a great situation with a strong OL, punishing run game, and dynamic TEs and some good WRs. Pace has mentioned before needing the right pieces around the QB for them to develop and succeed.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
I think Glennon starts all year. The Bears will not be good, especially after the brutal schedule to start the season. Mitchell can get a year of learning on the bench. Mike Glennon will be QB of a very run heavy, play action offense. Best case scenario for the Bears is: 1) Glennon looks competent enough that he gets trade interest in the off season; 2) Turbinsky looks like a real prospect and gets better each week; 3) The Bears record nets them a top 10 pick in 2018; 4) Mike Glennon is traded in the off season for a 2nd rd pick in 2018 & a 2nd rd pick in 2019; 5) Bears use 2018 top 10 pick to draft best QB available (without trading up!). This would put the Bears in situation to have acquired extra picks to help build their roster going forward. And, have Turbinsky & another top 10 QB pick on the roster. One is a back up, one is a starter...let them compete. Increases the odds that the Bears would actually have a Franchise QB. If they both end up being valuable, then you trade one for more picks.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
There should always be QB competition... although Mitch didn't fair so well in the last QB competition in college.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Glennon starts all year. The Bears will not be good, especially after the brutal schedule to start the season. Mitchell can get a year of learning on the bench. Mike Glennon will be QB of a very run heavy, play action offense. Best case scenario for the Bears is: 1) Glennon looks competent enough that he gets trade interest in the off season; 2) Turbinsky looks like a real prospect and gets better each week; 3) The Bears record nets them a top 10 pick in 2018; 4) Mike Glennon is traded in the off season for a 2nd rd pick in 2018 & a 2nd rd pick in 2019; 5) Bears use 2018 top 10 pick to draft best QB available (without trading up!). This would put the Bears in situation to have acquired extra picks to help build their roster going forward. And, have Turbinsky & another top 10 QB pick on the roster. One is a back up, one is a starter...let them compete. Increases the odds that the Bears would actually have a Franchise QB. If they both end up being valuable, then you trade one for more picks.

There is only so much you can learn sitting on the bench.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
There is only so much you can learn sitting on the bench.

Correct. Which is why Trubisky won't be on the sidelines for his entire career. He may tip his toes a bit this season, but I can't envision any scenario he isn't the starter year 2. The Bears gave Glennon that contract for a reason. They see him as a bridge QB who will be on a very good contract that other teams will be interested in. Assuming of course that Glennon goes on to have a respectable season.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Yes.. with Sanchez and Trubinsky

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Trubisky was pick #2 overall, you damn right there should be a competition.

This is the way I see it going down, Glennon will get the first opportunity to start and we likely start the season. If he plays well and stays healthy, he will remain the starter the entire season. If Glennon struggles for three or four games they will give Trubisky a shot, and will use a phantom injury to Glennon as an excuse.

In the second year Unless Glennon absolutely kills it, there will be a real competition.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No QB competition. I could even live with Sanchez in the event Glennon got injured this year.

I want Pace to handle Trubisky carefully and redshirt him all of 2017. I think he can be good if given time. Ideally Glennon plays well and Trubisky gets the Aaron Rodgers treatment.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace went all-in on Trubisky and he is the anointed franchise QB. Pace looks like a chump if he's not starting by week 12. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No QB competition. I could even live with Sanchez in the event Glennon got injured this year.

I want Pace to handle Trubisky carefully and redshirt him all of 2017. I think he can be good if given time. Ideally Glennon plays well and Trubisky gets the Aaron Rodgers treatment.

Trubisky doesnt have the mechanical flaws like the other QB's in this class. What he needs most is live game experience.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Did Rivers have competition with Brees or did Eli with Warner.. did Ben with O'Donnell? Did Carson Palmer with Jon Kitna? And he was a 1 not a 2nd pick and didn't play at all behind Kitna

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did Rivers have competition with Brees or did Eli with Warner.. did Ben with O'Donnell? Did Carson Palmer with Jon Kitna? And he was a 1 not a 2nd pick and didn't play at all behind Kitna

Quit living in the past.

Washington

Liked Posts:
. We've seen glimpses of the market with rumors of McCarron, Glennon (going back to last year), JG etc, and a good season from Glennon could net the Bears a 2nd round pick or more.

So if Glennon turns out to be a very good QB, we should trade him? Wouldn't it be a great problem, one Chicago has never seen, to have a good QB still hoping the drafted one will be good too? We've been hard up for a better than serviceable QB since McMahon and people would want to immediately trade the next one. I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense to me.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
There has been and still are three schools of thought concerning newly drafted QBs..
- Those who have to play because the team has no starter... let the rookie learn under fire.
- Have competition because the team may have veterans but they are not solid
- Those who have a solid / transition starter and want the new QB to sit and learn... no mater what.

I've always thought the third was the best way... though I often see instances were the rookie had the opportunity to win the start or was given the start.

The only competitions in camp this year should be for the #2 and , if needed #3 spots.

Let Glennon play, I don't get why some have already condemned him to being bad, nor want to give him a chance to be good. A good Glennon is better for the team all around. And if he does end up sucking bad.... the team will be back in the draft next year with draft position to add a couple weapons for the new guy OR draft another QB and have a real QB competition!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They need to sit a minimum 4 games if you can do so. I'd prefer more for Mitchell. He may not have severe flaws but he also has never taken a snap under center etc and he could use some mechanical cleanup that will help him. His drops weren't as clean as Watson's at the combine for instance. His very short throws could benefit from less arm movement and more of a tossing type motion. His balance is always good but his feet aren't always in position. He has good feet but doesn't always use them that way in a cleanish pocket. NFL reads are way more difficult than anything he's seen. Seeing some of that on film and how to execute against it will help a lot once he relates to it situationally by being on the sidelines. It's not more than others have had to overcome but most benefit by getting into the team flow before being tossed to the wolves.

Glennon and Trubisky are the ones that will determine how long he sits. There should be no rote answer for this year other than Glennon starts the season.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
So if Glennon turns out to be a very good QB, we should trade him? Wouldn't it be a great problem, one Chicago has never seen, to have a good QB still hoping the drafted one will be good too? We've been hard up for a better than serviceable QB since McMahon and people would want to immediately trade the next one. I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense to me.

It depends on for one, what type of offers we would get. It would also weigh heavily on how fast Trubisky makes the transition and looks to be capable of running the show. But if Glennon turns out to be good, I think yes, you probably do look to trade him eventually. The Bears invested a lot to get Trubisky and they also have starter money invested in Glennon. While yes, it's always good to have 2 capable QBs, it's also a good idea to manage your assets and your investments. If Glennon could net the Bears a 2nd round pick, or who knows...maybe even a 1st, and Trubisky is ready to take over and lead the franchise, why wouldn't you trade Glennon eventually? Not sure having a 17 mil dollar backup is a good idea.

Reactions: WCL